Rear brake squeal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbarrie

Reaction score
Not all the time but now and again I get this annoying sqeel from the rear brakes. It is kinda embarrassing actually. I did put on new pads in the spring when I first got the bike. I thought it was just because they were new.

What is the main cause of this ! Can I do anything to the rotors to stop this. I think I remember reading some time ago that it was caused from the pads and had nothing to do with the rotors. Is this true ?

I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

Re: Rear brake sqeel

Not all the time but now and again I get this annoying sqeel from the rear brakes. It is kinda embarrassing actually. I did put on new pads in the spring when I first got the bike. I thought it was just because they were new.

What is the main cause of this ! Can I do anything to the rotors to stop this. I think I remember reading some time ago that it was caused from the pads and had nothing to do with the rotors. Is this true ?

I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

WD-40. It's your only hope. :whistlin:

Re: Rear brake sqeel

It's the stock pads. Use EBC HH's.

Mark

If the WD-40 idea isn't working, you could actually try putting a little more spring in the 4-legged spring held in place above the pads by the pad retainer pins. I have also had to resort to a light coating of blue silicone behind the pad where the brake piston contacts. Let it sit overnight to dry after reassembly. Use the silicone sparingly. This will take all the noise producing vibrations out of the pad assemblies, and it is easily removed next pad changeout.

Too bad it doesn't work on drum brake assemblies - my wife's Suzuki is driving me crazy.

My fronts squelled for a while. I was told it was because they were glazed over. They advised me to run down the road with the brake on moderately applying pressure to burn off the glazing.
Unfortunately I never got to try it, because I had already replaced all the pads right before I got that advice.

My fronts squelled for a while. I was told it was because they were glazed over. They advised me to run down the road with the brake on moderately applying pressure to burn off the glazing.
Unfortunately I never got to try it, because I had already replaced all the pads right before I got that advice.

LOL that's how they glaze... Take them out take some sand paper to them, spray them with brake clean, dry and reinsert and bed them in per instructions...

:hmmm: :ummm:

I was always told no go on the spray?
Could you expand on this to help me understand?

Brake clean is made just for this application... No oils to contaminate anything... :thumbs up: It removes any surface contaminates that you may have put on the pad when sanding... When I do any brake job and spray everything with brake clean (non-chlorinated) before finishing the job...

LOL that's how they glaze... Take them out take some sand paper to them, spray them with brake clean, dry and reinsert and bed them in per instructions...

Figures... That's why I didn't trust the advice from a service manager at the dealer. That's who gave me the advice.
He did give me a great deal on a Dunlop front tire though.

Back