Rear brake squeal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poolio

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know me again lol. Took the bike to work today after installing the new rear Galfer rotor and dp404 pads. After 10 miles or so it started making a loud hum when coming to a stop? Got home and took it apart, cleaned it all again including the pins and the metal thing that sits on top. I scuffed up the pads they seemed a little smooth to me. Not sure if this is what you call glazed. What would cause this? Hopefully I fixed it. Didn't get to ride it afterwards. Is there a break in procedure for the pads?

Try using your rear brake to brake the bike instead of the fronts, allow plenty of space to stop, and be prepared to use the fronts if required. I believe light use is what causes glazing, so using them vigorously may get them broken in. Did the Galfer instructions say anything about a protective coating to be removed before use?

I cleaned them and the rotor with brake clean, I put the shims on the back and lightly wiped them with brake grease. I originally didn't clean the slide pins. Today I used fine sandpaper and cleaned them and applied light brake grease. The pads looked like they had blue spots on them when I took them off today. I scuffed them up and put them back on

See what happens now. Blue spots sounds like overheating irregularly across the surface.

Did you spray the brake cleaner on the pad itself? if so your not supposed to that could be the problem scuffing them up again should take care of your problem and do what Firemedic said go out and get some heat into the rear brakes with a couple of good hard stops

Mine did make a lot of noise at first when I replaced the brake pads last year. It stopped after awhile once they wore into the rotor alittle bit...But did you put the little bit of permitex on between the pad and the cylinder?

I put brake grease or anti squeal what ever it's called. I work on a lot of cars and that's what I use on the back of the pads. Not a lot just a real light coat

I use a very light coating of whatever silicone or permatex I have lying around already open. Apply the brakes sitting in the garage, and then usually let it set up overnight before going out on the streets. I've had better luck with my bikes (and pickup truck) doing this over the years to control brake noise, than I have by using the gel supplied with new brake pads. When next changing out pads, the old permatex or silicone is easily removed from the brake components by using a flat scraper and/or Scotchbrite cleaning pads.

Took it for a 100 miles today, still squeaking?? Wtf? Could it be the new dp pads? It doesn't do it all the time. Mostly when I'm coming to a stop. Are Galfer rotors prone to squeaking?

Some compounds are more prone to squealing under light pressure, see what the passage of time does as they wear in.

I still have to put the fronts on with the new tire, should I go with ebc instead of dp? I have galfer rotors to mount on the front wheel too. Im gonna put 200-300 on it tomorrow so hopefully it goes away. At this point if it doesn't ill buy ebc' for the rear and try them.

Back