Recall for oil pump on 2010 Vmax???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okilow1

Reaction score
Hey guys...Got a call from my dealer here in Okinawa today. There's been a recall due to an oil pump problem. Have you heard anything on this in the US? I've searched the internet and can't find anything on it.

Be funny if it turned out that they still used the old O-ring setup. I'm not serious.

awww man :( and sadly they'll probably make the bike another 20 years and never fix the problem

*single tear drop*
RIP Gen2's all over the world soon to fall victim to the O-ring thats claimed so many before them.:rofl_200:

I just spent about an hour looking for anything on this recall. Must be a secret of Yamaha Japan, cause it hasn't hit the net yet....
Except for this thread. I sure hope it's nothing Brett...

Hey guys...Got a call from my dealer here in Okinawa today. There's been a recall due to an oil pump problem. Have you heard anything on this in the US? I've searched the internet and can't find anything on it.
Has there ever been a re-call on a jen1?? To bad they didn't re-call it back, because they for
got 6th gear:rofl_200:

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in 2009-2011 VMX17YB, YCB, ZR, ZCR, AG, and ACG model motorcycles. On affected motorcycles, abnormally high oil pressure can build up inside the oil pump. This pressure can force the thrust washer on the oil pump shaft against the oil pump housing, causing wear. When too much wear has occured, the pin detaches from the inner rotor. If this happens, oil will stop pumping through the engine, resulting in severe engine damage that can cause the engine to stall and not restart again, resulting in the possibility of a crash with injury or death.

A Technical Bulletin with all necessary information will be provided in the near future.

Until then, please suspend sale of any 009-20011 VMX17(VMAX) motorcycles in your inventory.

Assuming Yamaha being cautious.. There are GenII's with well over 40,000 miles with no issues. I have almost 16000 on mine with no issues. If they do come out with the recall, it should be easy enough for them to do.

Can't Yamaha figure out oil pumps?

:lol_hitting: all the R&D of the last 25 years...and they STILL,after the "red light of doom" and the "O-ring of death", managed to botch the oil system on their monster.

For goodness sake, dont any of their R&D guys belong to this forum?
They woulda gotten some HONEST opinion on what needs fixed:clapping:

Not sayin I wouldnt give my left nut in a glass jar and my Gen1 to get a Gen2 but I think Ill wait for a few more kinks to get worked out of it.

Not an O ring issue.
But still you would think!

One could only hope, but as the first years if the new generation these things are expected. My ideal is to get an 09 to build. That day my first year Gen1 and my first year Gen2 can share space in my garage.

Maybe it's silly, maybe I'm stubborn. But I like having the first year, when it's all still kinda unknown.

If they would've gave Morley a Gen II they would've found the issue a lot sooner than 16,000 miles. :)

Back