Redline fuel cut off?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagherra

Reaction score
Just a quick Q...does the Vmax have an ignition fuel cut at redline? I think I bounced off the redline tonight and it felt like it cut out.

If so, I'm glad. I find it hard to see the tach when going WOT. I won't be bouncing off the redline often but for the every now and then...it be good insurance to know the fuel/ignition cut is happening.

Re: Reline fuel cut?

If you have a aftermarket dyna ignition you have a rev limiter, but no limiter on a
stock ignition. Be careful.

+1 these motors, don't like to be over-rev'd. not as forgiving as an inline 4

A good shift light will allow you keep your eyes on the road and the light will tell you when to shift. I have been told that the Vmax motor does not like to be over revved on a regular basis.
Here is my shift light, it's a Harlan Engineering unit with a custom Cycle One-off mount.

Attachments

• IMG_0149.jpg
    IMG_0149.jpg
    62.7 KB
  • IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    78 KB
  • IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0131.jpg
    73.5 KB

A good shift light will allow you keep your eyes on the road and the light will tell you when to shift. I have been told that the Vmax motor does not like to be over revved on a regular basis.
Here is my shift light, it's a Harlan Engineering unit with a custom Cycle One-off mount.
Thanks Redbone. I like that setup. I'll look into that.

BTW I like the smoke windshield you have. Where did you get that?

Thanks Redbone. I like that setup. I'll look into that.

BTW I like the smoke windshield you have. Where did you get that?
The windshield is a Givi airstars, it's a little bigger than the OEM unit. I purchased mine from Twisted Throttle. I also found it here just now for a little cheaper and free shipping: Competition Accessories.

Shift lights are a good thing. Here is my surrent set-up using a Harlan unit and a shot of my old raptor unit with the COO's mount, and 5" tach with built in shift light.

Attachments

• P1030110.jpg
    P1030110.jpg
    67.4 KB
  • gauges3.jpg
    gauges3.jpg
    68.8 KB
  • gauges4.jpg
    gauges4.jpg
    78.4 KB
one other question, is your bike jetted? stock carbs shouldn't cut out at redline but if you're running a jet kit maybe the main is a tad to small? so if redline isn't bad enough ur going lean. that isn't good.

I have the Harlan shift light also, set to light at 9200 RPM...just before redline, so if I don't see it for a sec there's a little more wiggle room. I've heard for the absolute best 1/4 mile times to let the motor go to 10k- 10,200 so after the shift it's in a better powerband, but I don't that's a great idea for everyday romps on the gas.

No rev limiter, so if it's cutting out you've got fuel flow issues. Possibly spark, but I'd bet it's more likely to be inadequate fuel flow. Clogged fuel filter maybe?

KJ, how hard was it to swap the factory "hot-cold" temp gauge with a real one with numbers? Was it a plug and play, or did you have to replace the sending unit also?

I have muine set at 8800 rpms but I think I'll bump the threshold a little to a new limit of 9500 R's. Not much headroom to shift in but how else am I going to rationalize getting a 1500 motor if I don't blow this one up! LOL!

i set mine to 8700 for street riding. when im full throttle, by the time i see it and react im at 9200 or so. i love it

I have muine set at 8800 rpms but I think I'll bump the threshold a little to a new limit of 9500 R's. Not much headroom to shift in but how else am I going to rationalize getting a 1500 motor if I don't blow this one up! LOL!
lol :rofl_200:

On a stock engined Vmax, with carbs, your power drops off at 8.5k rpms. Setting your shiftlight much higher, unless you are running a power adder of some type, is not helping. With the EFI my peak power "shifted" up to 9.5k rpms, but instead of dropping off like it did with carbs it just flattens out. My shiftlight is set at 9,250 rpm so I have some wiggle room as my "redline" is 10.5k rpms, although I am good up to 11k.

DAMN Brian!! Why didn't you tell me you were in the market for a Big Bore:ummm: Would have made you a screaming deal on a 1428 so I could put in the 1570:rofl_200: Geez, hook a brotha up mang!! Come to the Drag Day, we can help you grenade the stocker:rofl_200:

Bring it to me......

I'll do an oil change.......

And COMPLETELY DESTROY the engine attempting to remove the OIL FILTER.....:damn angry:]

:biglaugh:

It truly brings a tear to my eye, all these offers to help me get my 1500 motor! I would really like to accomodate the generous offers but alas my mod monkey is even shaking his head no.
I do have this terrible lump on the back of my head, I don't remember the last 2 hours and my torn apart wallet is laying on the ground in front of my MM. I'm still a bit foggy but the little feller is just standing there rocking back and forth, large walking stick in hand, shaking his head saying NO, NO, NO, NO!
What can this mean!?!?

Latest posts

Back