Repair finish on Intake scoops

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sounds like it’s the dealer’s responsibility….barring any love from them Captain Kyle would be you’re guy.
It is hard to prove this with other damage to scoops in various spots. The previous owner was rather rough on my 2015 VMAX, but I am trying to become somewhat of a paint and polish detail to restore it. I want to use the right method and liquids for the best outcome.
Also, I plan on never taking to a dealer if I do not have to for all future maintenance.

You would need to strip the lacquer first and get back to bare metal.
If it was mine I'd then get a paint shop to re-finish with a 2K lacquer which will be very durable.
With you doing all of the prep work and the paint shop adding it to a clear coating job (hopefully) it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

You can do it with rattle cans but bet the end result won't be as good or durable.

If they are like Gen 1 scoops then here's what I remember.
The scoops are cast aluminum alloy that is anodised a grey /silver colour.

If you remove the anodising coat, the Al alloy has blemishes, best described as patches of a slightly different colour.

Anodising is very durable so brake fluid should not have damaged it.

If you plan to do it yourself, then I'd suggest using a paint stripper to remove the clearcoat. Then polish them bearing in mind the anodising coat is thin.

If it goes wrong, you can paint them, have them anodised or powder coated. Or just not look at them.

Here is a product which will work well to spiff-up the scoops. Available online or at your local auto parts store. Martin Seymour invented the 'rattle-can.' You can clear it if you want more of a 'shine.' One can will do both scoops. Sand your parts after stripping the old finish, using progressively more-fine sandpaper. I use 'aircraft stripper' for the finish removal.

1718366748834.png

1718366779861.png

If they are like Gen 1 scoops then here's what I remember.
The scoops are cast aluminum alloy that is anodised a grey /silver colour.

If you remove the anodising coat, the Al alloy has blemishes, best described as patches of a slightly different colour.

Anodising is very durable so brake fluid should not have damaged it.

If you plan to do it yourself, then I'd suggest using a paint stripper to remove the clearcoat. Then polish them bearing in mind the anodising coat is thin.

If it goes wrong, you can paint them, have them anodised or powder coated. Or just not look at them.
Whilst I am happy to be corrected, I don't recall the scoops being anodised and I don't ever recall seeing lacquered anodised parts.
There were several iterations of the scoops from polished and lacquered, black and polished upper and black lower.

Whilst stripping lacquer is relatively straight forward doing the same for anodised components takes more effort, see this.

Latest posts

Back