Rolling burnouts and tires....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was this on the Gen1 or Gen2 Rick?...........I seem to recall the cops showing up after one of your smoke shows!.........:punk:...........Tom.

Was this on the Gen1 or Gen2 Rick?...........I seem to recall the cops showing up after one of your smoke shows!.........:punk:...........Tom.

The Gen II. But that wasnt my red bike the cops were looking for...........was it?

I'm certainly no expert, but any kind of abuse isn't good on your Max, but as far as a roller, the initial shock of a quick clutch release to the trans and drivetrain is the worst part, once the tire starts spinning there's not much load at all, I get my speed where I want it and ride the clutch slightly, make sure I'm straight and surroundings look good, I pull it in slightly run it up to 6k or so and snap the clutch open while rolling on the throttle.........Smoke show every time!...........:punk:..............Tom.

Tom... you're getting very good at Smoke Shows ! :worthy:
Are you doing these in first gear or second ?

1st gear..........Going to try the Metz this weekend, I'd love to be able to rival Wild Bill on the 2nd gear smokers!...............Tom.

Just got back from a ride with the east side crew, I found the Metz much easier to spin, I need to work on my technique and practice, but I layed down a number of nice 2nd gear smokers today!.............In my opinion if you like rolling burnouts, I would go with the Metzler 880...................Tom.

Wish I had a camera. Tom put down some serious rubber today. With the possible exception of one long black smear put down by a certain chain drive bike, he was the champion. And he certainly won the NUMBER of burn outs.

Mike on the other hand was the wheelie champ. On one I was certain he was within a hairs with of looping it!

The new guy gets the honors for MOST wheelies. As well as multi surface wheelies (like pavement, gravel, grass and back to pavement... all in one wheelie!

Of course no one saw it, but the Fat old man even did a long rolling burn out. It was by accident, and got an assist from the yellow like I was on. But it did last thru 1st and second SO I impressed me. <BMFG>

Craig

Forgive my inexperience, but when I try to do a burnout from a stop with dry pavement, all I manage to do is push my front wheel... It just scoots forward locked up and hops. I feel like such a noob asking how to light up the rear..

Forgive my inexperience, but when I try to do a burnout from a stop with dry pavement, all I manage to do is push my front wheel... It just scoots forward locked up and hops. I feel like such a noob asking how to light up the rear..
If you're running a Shinko TM Rear that is probably the problem.
They are much harder to get spinning that any of the other Brand Tires that fit our Bikes.

Well, do I just need to drop the clutch harder? Was doin the same with a bald qualifier too... Just afraid that is I dump the clutch really hard the front wheel is gonna slide and I'll lose control

I don't think I'd dump the clutch on a Shinko with the Front Brake Locked, you could burn up your Clutch pretty quick that way.
Since I started running a Shinko Rear I Stopped doing Burnouts.
And Wheelies are a bit too easy. :D

Last edited:
If you are running a Shinko the following may not apply...........You might put down a little water to help you get started the first few times, make sure you're standing with your weight off the bike, with it in first gear and a firm grim on the bars, slowly let the clutch out and push down compressing the forks, I have 3 fingers on the brake and my thumband 1st finger around the throttle, that way you can work the throttle and still maintain good braking, the best surfaces I have found are smooth concrete and dusty asphalt, once you get it spinning you dont need to run the rpm's to the sky, 4-5k is good, at this point you can shift the rear back and forth with you legs, practice until you get comfortable with the manuver or your tire budget dwindles to zip!........Let us know how you do!......Better yet, shoot some vid!.........:punk:........Tom.

Dumping the clutch on a bike like the vmax is a good way to get an embarrassing accident as it wheelies/blows out from underneath you. Nobody wants a cracked up bike just for a stupid smoke show, especially if you don't really have the feel of it.

If you have to, Tom has it right. You need to straddle the bike, and push down semi-firmly on the handlebars to put a little weight on the front tire. There's a bit of a "feel" for it. You don't "dump" the clutch per-se, I would let it out until I felt it start to drag the engine, then "aggressively slip" the clutch out the rest of the way. The back wheel would break loose, then I'd simultaneously sit down and let off the brake and go smoking down the block. If you weigh like 300lbs this might not work, but it was fine for me....maybe 180 geared up.

The easier way is just to be rolling along at like 10mph in first, snap the gas shut, then immediately snap it wide open. Depending on your tire and weight, you will either do a roller, or pop a wheelie. Be careful, cover the rear brake the first couple times you try this. If she starts to go up out of control, use the rear brake to put it down again. (that's also a good way to ruin head bearings, but better than looping it)

Chlorox works Well to get a Burnout Started too and Smokes like Crazy.
It's a really Old School Trick we used back in HS. ;)

Dumping the clutch on a bike like the vmax is a good way to get an embarrassing accident as it wheelies/blows out from underneath you. Nobody wants a cracked up bike just for a stupid smoke show, especially if you don't really have the feel of it.

If you have to, Tom has it right. You need to straddle the bike, and push down semi-firmly on the handlebars to put a little weight on the front tire. There's a bit of a "feel" for it. You don't "dump" the clutch per-se, I would let it out until I felt it start to drag the engine, then "aggressively slip" the clutch out the rest of the way. The back wheel would break loose, then I'd simultaneously sit down and let off the brake and go smoking down the block. If you weigh like 300lbs this might not work, but it was fine for me....maybe 180 geared up.

The easier way is just to be rolling along at like 10mph in first, snap the gas shut, then immediately snap it wide open. Depending on your tire and weight, you will either do a roller, or pop a wheelie. Be careful, cover the rear brake the first couple times you try this. If she starts to go up out of control, use the rear brake to put it down again. (that's also a good way to ruin head bearings, but better than looping it)

thats why I asked first before I went and revved up and dropped the clutch LOL. I weigh 135-140, so I have the opposite end of the 'weight issue.' I know I can do one with a wet tire, but I was just wondering about the impromptu smoke out I was wanting to do. Maybe I should just go to the drag strip since I'm having trouble burning out AND popping wheelies, all my bike wants to do is LAUNCH!! One time right after I got it, I almost fell off the back from snapping it open only going 10-15mph! Wasnt expecting it to explode away like that. I have become accustomed to the ridiculous acceleration our bikes have, and mine is stock! You guys are nuts :rofl_200:

. I weigh 135-140, ...... Maybe I should just go to the drag strip ..... all my bike wants to do is LAUNCH!! ...

I'll bet with weight like that, you could get some serious times at the drag strip.

:punk:

I used to smoke up my Shinko Tourmaster 170 on a regular basis and I weigh in at ~280. I did have to modulate the brake/ throttle quite a bit, which is a trick in itself. This one pictured here is a 80-90 footer done with brake and feet up, it filled the street with smoke and had my brother yelling and jumping up/ down when I was done!
IMG_0359.jpg
But of course you end up with a tire that looks like this!
IMG_0410.jpg

Nice!..........Thats the price you pay for feeding the need!............:biglaugh:...........Tom.

Back