RS Overdrive

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidon

Reaction score
OK finally swapped out the Max diff and put on the Venture diff.
So with the RS OD 5th gears AND the Venture diff I'm running 80 MPH at around 4K and 100MPH at around 5K (GPS speed). The feel of the set up is different though so don't know if I'll stick with it for the long run.

OK finally swapped out the Max diff and put on the Venture diff.
So with the RS OD 5th gears AND the Venture diff I'm running 80 MPH at around 4K and 100MPH at around 5K (GPS speed). The feel of the set up is different though so don't know if I'll stick with it for the long run.
Hmm, I have the OD gear installed and at 4K RPM I'm running close to 80 mph. 3k I am running just below 60 mph. I use 4th gear much more now, and find that when running with other Max's (or any bike I would guess) that I'm hitting the brakes to maintain spacing. I guess I'll just have to get used to it. On the freeway it is great, it cruises much better/ smoother at 70 to 80. So far I'm glad I made the change, It's nice to have the regular gears (1-4) then 5th for easier cruising.

Hmm, I have the OD gear installed and at 4K RPM I'm running close to 80 mph. 3k I am running just below 60 mph. I use 4th gear much more now, and find that when running with other Max's (or any bike I would guess) that I'm hitting the brakes to maintain spacing. I guess I'll just have to get used to it. On the freeway it is great, it cruises much better/ smoother at 70 to 80. So far I'm glad I made the change, It's nice to have the regular gears (1-4) then 5th for easier cruising.

r u seeing a mileage difference?

Not really, but I think I need to play with my carbs since I have Sean's carb kit. It runs pretty good but I guess i need to stay out of the boost. I am only getting ~120 miles to the red light.
I didn't want to change anything before I left on my 2500 mile trip so I guess now I'm going to have to figure out how to get some better mileage while maintaining how it's running. I'm running 162.5 main jets now.

Not really, but I think I need to play with my carbs since I have Sean's carb kit. It runs pretty good but I guess i need to stay out of the boost. I am only getting ~120 miles to the red light.
I didn't want to change anything before I left on my 2500 mile trip so I guess now I'm going to have to figure out how to get some better mileage while maintaining how it's running. I'm running 162.5 main jets now.

wow. i'm at 155 mains and usually get b/t 95 and 105 to redlight

I was hoping for 130 miles +...the smallest jets I have on hand are 155's, and I also have 160/ 157.5 in the smaller range. My altitude is right around 680'-700'.

Brian,
120 miles is pretty darn good. Even by stock standards. I can only hit that by really milking it. I`m running bigger mains tho.
So...I don`t think you can get too much better.

Dale 2592

120 miles to the light is pretty damn good!! Your bike doesn't seem to be running too rich to me. Those carbs also have Stage 7 needles so your mileage will be slightly lower, and I do mean slightly, than with stockers as they are a bit more aggressive, but on the whole Redbone seems to like what she has for jetting.

Agree, 120 to red light is good...it's about 40 mpg.

Thank guys, I was just hoping to get a little more distance but I won't trade that for a tune that doesn't run like it does now just on the hope for some more mileage! I have not done a true high mileage run by staying out of the vboost and riding like little old lady.
Probably not gonna happen either!:rofl_200:

You could try a larger main jet in the PAJ2 location and see what it does for you. It will lean out the entire midrange and based on the info at Topeka dyno this last weekend will even lean up the mains. Might help you get more mileage out of it (since virtually every vmax has a rich midrange which is what you are cruising in at 4K and up).

Sean

With the OD 5th gear I don't get past 4k very often while just cruising. I usually run in the 3000 to 4000 RPM range (58 to 77/78 mph). It tends to pop a little on decel when at the highest operating temps (on water temp gauge- 1/2 way between red and midpoint on gauge) would going larger on PAJ2 make it pop more or could I fix that with a shim or two? A/F set at 3 1/4 turns out now with no shims (that I know of).
I guess I'll need to take a rainy afternoon and pull the carbs out and see what I have.

Do a little experimenting. Easiest way to learn what the changes will do. A little turn in on the a/f screw will lean it up a bit too and may or may not help.

Sean

can somenone please explain to me what ?? you replace with a venture part ?.....
the rear shaft drive or something in the engine? what is DIFF?? i liked what i read and i am interested in it. cost ? and where to find?

can somenone please explain to me what ?? you replace with a venture part ?.....
the rear shaft drive or something in the engine? what is DIFF?? i liked what i read and i am interested in it. cost ? and where to find?

its what we call the 'pumpkin' the drive housing.

see attached pic.

Attachments

• vmax6_04_10_2005.jpg
    vmax6_04_10_2005.jpg
    98.5 KB
The one thing that I didn't like is that if you changed the rear differential (aka pumpkin) it changes all the gear ratios to a higher ratio.
With changing just the 5th gear out to the Venture 5th gear the 1 - 4 gears remain stock.

I installed the RS 5th gear and Venture Shaft Drive on my 1500 Tourmaster about 3 years ago. I have about 1 year experience using PCW 39mm Flatslides and 2 years with Wildbros EFI. The 5th gear is definitely an abrupt overdrive. I could cruise at 80 mph, get 33 mpg and at a 160 mph only run about 8K rpm. The three dogs on the RS 5th sheared off about 18 months ago and I put my stock Vmax 5th back in. The Venture shaft drive is enough. The Venture shaft drive really tamed my bike and made it much less wheelie prone. Also the heavier R1 USD might of helped. I am now about to go back to the Vmax shaft drive. I find that even at 160 plus RWHP even a well warmed Vmax will jump me 2-3 bikes from a 30 mph roll on. Course I always reel them in and end any thought of a real race. Now, I did run against a 09 Vmax with the UFO slipons and Maxtuner. The 09 also jumped me about two bikes, and then I held the gap the rest of the way. The 09 had too much equal HP for me to close the gap. I think with the Vmax shaft drive back on I can even up the initial launch and hold even with the 09 Vmax. I am going to find out. If you are mostly a highway cruiser, the RS 5th and Venture SD are a heck of a combo. If you are below 150 RWHP I think the Venture is just to high a gear ratio. imho the Venture will defang a stock or near stock Vmax just tooo much. for what its worth. rick rash

What do you think caused the wear on the gear dogs..is it just the abruptness of it when going from 4th to 5th? I'm going to leave the Venture pumpkin on for a bit longer (maybe ride to Thunder with it) for a better evaluation.

I dont know what did in the RS 5th. I had it backcut with the rest of the gears when PCW did my motor. In 11000 miles that wasw the only problem I have had with my Tourmaster. Maybe they back cut the gear too much?? A local mechanic said venture gears arent as hard. Baloney. Someone posted just this past week losing his Vmax 5th gear. I sure would not ride it until I found those dogs. I have pictures of the gear somewhere. I think it meshes with 2nd? All the other gears looked like new. My Venrure shaft drive is an 87 and fit perfect. Just installed the rear shock stud was all. Polished up really nice. Donor bike had a claaimed 11000 miles. I definitely would not do both again. Youdo use 4th a whole lot more with both changes. A real Dog in 5th.

rick

Back