Should I be worried????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnlyMaxWillDo

Reaction score
I'm currently looking to marry an '04 Vmax, a love affair long in the making (I've wanted one of these since 1985 when I first saw the ol' "rear tire bigger than most cars" burnout ad in cycle world, motor cyclist or whatever it was. Anyway, the bike has just over 4K on it (rather low, I thought) and I noticed the following issues in the photos; First, there's excessive heat discoloration on the front headers. Do you think this may be due to excessive idling or a poor carb setup? Any worries of burned valves/pistons from abnormal lean mixture?
Also I noticed what appears to be an oil leak at the joint between the driveshaft tube and the final drive housing. This doesn't seem right for a bike this age, is it a major job to fix? I've attached photos, hopefully they're clear enough!
Any thoughts, advice or other guidance you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for this to be a long relationship, and I want to make a good choice!

Attachments

• Vmax_Left_Leak.jpg
    Vmax_Left_Leak.jpg
    60.5 KB
  • vmax_Right_blue.jpg
    vmax_Right_blue.jpg
    50.3 KB
I'll pass on the oil leak. It doesn't look good, but I don't know what it means or what it takes to fix.

However, that exhaust does look like it has blued from heat, and I would most definitely be concerned about that one.
Those front pipes are double walled (think double glazing). I would most certainly want to know what the hell caused them to change colour like that. That might have been nasty hot. Professional check over maybe. TK test the cooling system for a blown head gasket and compression test at least.

That is what I would be thinking.

Thanks bazwell, I will certainly check that out. It's raising my doubts about how this bike was handled.

Back