Side engine covers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmax1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to change the side coverson my 85 vmax? I mean the aluminum ones that look like they just pop in and the one has two screwsin it. Don't know the exact name for the covers :confused2:. I wanted to change them to a billet polished piece.

How hard is it to change the side coverson my 85 vmax? I mean the aluminum ones that look like they just pop in and the one has two screwsin it. Don't know the exact name for the covers :confused2:. I wanted to change them to a billet polished piece.

The side covers that say "vmax" on them, or are you talking about something else.

The side covers as far as the body work is involved, just grab an allen wrench and unbolt them.

you pop the two screws off and they lift up and out. probably the simplest thing to do on the bike.

I think he means the engine covers, not the frame side covers. 5GK-15427-00-00, cap cover 2 for the crankcase cover: Rt. side; 5GK-15418-00-00, chain case cover for the crankcase cover 3: Left side. Those are 2007 parts #'s. What do your frame side covers look like? Do they have "VMax" as glued-on relief-type separate pieces, or is it stamped into the metal?

Yes I do mean the engine covers. One is located by the rear brake pedal and the other is on opposite. I think thier called engine cover inserts

the stator one pops right out once you get the two bolts out. of course they'll probably strip on you though, morley warned me on that one.

the clutch one you have to take off the whole cover. i had to use some interesting methods to get that one apart.

If your talking about the insert pieces.

The two big ones; one unbolts with two screws, the other unbolts from the inside after removing the whole cover.

The one that is on the small cover by the shift lever, which is called the middle gear cover, is a real bitch. Interesting methods indeed.

Essentially the cover has a snap ring that pops into a hidden groove when it's pushed into place. Once in place there is no access to that snap ring so the insert has to be destroyed to remove it. The insert doesn't seal the engine, there is more metal behind it that is part of the overall cover and you dont want to damage this when taking the insert out.

I removed my cover and then used a die grinder to start punching holes in it being careful not to go through the second layer of metal behind it. There is an air gap between the insert and the cover.

Once I had enough holes so I could see what was going on in there I started removing metal until the snap ring could be pulled out in a circular motion kinda like unscrewing it.

When I installed the new Otec insert I used RTV instead of the supplied snap ring.

It's not that hard, just takes some patience.

The same procedure is used to replace the insert on the water pump cover as well.

Be sure to re-install the crush washer on the bottom bolt of the middle gear cover or it will leak.

Hope this helps,

Rusty

If your talking about the insert pieces.

The two big ones; one unbolts with two screws, the other unbolts from the inside after removing the whole cover.

The one that is on the small cover by the shift lever, which is called the middle gear cover, is a real bitch. Interesting methods indeed.

Essentially the cover has a snap ring that pops into a hidden groove when it's pushed into place. Once in place there is no access to that snap ring so the insert has to be destroyed to remove it. The insert doesn't seal the engine, there is more metal behind it that is part of the overall cover and you dont want to damage this when taking the insert out.

I removed my cover and then used a die grinder to start punching holes in it being careful not to go through the second layer of metal behind it. There is an air gap between the insert and the cover.

Once I had enough holes so I could see what was going on in there I started removing metal until the snap ring could be pulled out in a circular motion kinda like unscrewing it.

When I installed the new Otec insert I used RTV instead of the supplied snap ring.

It's not that hard, just takes some patience.

The same procedure is used to replace the insert on the water pump cover as well.

Be sure to re-install the crush washer on the bottom bolt of the middle gear cover or it will leak.

Hope this helps,

Rusty

great info rusty. my middle gear 'insert' actually fell out during powdercoating! the guy just snapped it back in.

Latest posts

Back