Sneezing & Coughing & Blueing??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, All. I got my CarbTune Pro and had a nice day so I sync'd the carbs:

cyl 1 was well above cyl 2 (like 1/2 of 2 higher)
cyls 3 & 4 were well below cyl 2 (like 1/2 of 2 lower)

I adjusted 1, 3, & 4 all to 2 and it really smoothed out. Yeah!!

Do you think the throttle settings of 3 & 4 being very lean has contributed to the discolored #4 exhaust pipe?

I don't have anyway to check the temperature of the two exhaust pipes, maybe this Spring at a dealer.....

Thanks for your comments.....

I don't really think that the carb sync would blue the exhaust, because it has nothing to do with the actual fuel/air ratio going in, and that (being lean) is what causes the blueing (higher temp).

An easy way to compare headers temperatures is to warm the bike up by riding it a few miles, then spray a little water on each header. If there is a big difference from one to the next, you should be able to see it by how quickly the heat evaporates the water..

I don't really think that the carb sync would blue the exhaust, because it has nothing to do with the actual fuel/air ratio going in, and that (being lean) is what causes the blueing (higher temp).

An easy way to compare headers temperatures is to warm the bike up by riding it a few miles, then spray a little water on each header. If there is a big difference from one to the next, you should be able to see it by how quickly the heat evaporates the water..

+1, Syncing is making sure your carbs are opening the same.

I bought one of those Whitney sniffers years ago and have successfully used it to tune my Max. The trick is to build a small brass manifold with in's (from the carbs) and a common out (to the sniffer) with a shutoff on all four. Start out connecting all cylinders to the manifold and as you sync, you dial in each cylinder, one at a time and only have to turn the small brass shutoffs between tuning each cylinder. Otherwise, you have to stop and take off the sniffer from one carb and re-attach to the next carb etc. one at a time as the sniffer has only enough attachments to do one carb at a time.

The sniffer readings DO bounce around a bit, but once you get the hang of it, it's a piece of cake.

Dude I dont understand what you are talking about here :ummm:
Does the brass manifold you make attach to the intake manifold or the exhaust header???

Forgive me if my question sounds stooopid. :confused2:

Cheers

Dude I dont understand what you are talking about here :ummm:
Does the brass manifold you make attach to the intake manifold or the exhaust header???

Forgive me if my question sounds stooopid. :confused2:

Cheers

Sounds like the old JCWhitney 4 gauge sync tool. it had lil valves to help steady the needles in the gauges like the restrictors to in the merc. stick type sync tool. But I could be wrong.

Sounds like the old JCWhitney 4 gauge sync tool. it had lil valves to help steady the needles in the gauges like the restrictors to in the merc. stick type sync tool. But I could be wrong.

Thats what I thought but he kept writing "sniffer"

Thats what I thought but he kept writing "sniffer"

I think he's referring to an exhaust gasses analyzer or 'sniffer'. J C Whitney and Northern Tool sold them, but I don't think they do anymore.

The problem that I heard with them was you could only read one cylinder at a time and the 'sniffer' would have to be recalibrated or zeroed or something after each carb. I may be a little off on that, but it was something similar.

It does sound like Jfeagins has that issue solved. There prolly still is some place that sells these sniffers, I'll look around. It would be great to have a way to dial in the A/F screws properly.

I think he's referring to an exhaust gasses analyzer or 'sniffer'. J C Whitney and Northern Tool sold them, but I don't think they do anymore.

The problem that I heard with them was you could only read one cylinder at a time and the 'sniffer' would have to be recalibrated or zeroed or something after each carb. I may be a little off on that, but it was something similar.

It does sound like Jfeagins has that issue solved. There prolly still is some place that sells these sniffers, I'll look around. It would be great to have a way to dial in the A/F screws properly.

That makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

Latest posts

Back