Starter Relay Works... No Start?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll have to pull them again tomorrow. I remember seeing them wet, maybe there's a coil problem. I'll test again tomorrow and find out for sure

Hmm, just read it again and you said if you dump gas in the carbs it runs. That means you are getting spark. Did you work on the carbs and do anything with the floats.

Hmm, just read it again and you said if you dump gas in the carbs it runs. That means you are getting spark. Did you work on the carbs and do anything with the floats.

Ah , Buster might be on to something there . I had a similar prob awhile back as after 5 -6 days was a bitch to start and too much idling was clogging the plugs . Was something to do with float levels ?? . :confused2:

Here's my take on it after reading your posts. Is the rectifier/regulator fried?
Your previous battery was nuked you said? Has it overcooked the previous battery and now cooking this one?

By shorting the solenoid it cranks but not really spinning fast enough to fire up properly just like a weak battery. I you had a jumped or fresh battery, will it crank and run? If so there's a problem somewhere with the charging circuit which might include the R/R

The 2003 I just sold to matt would turn over great at first but not start worth a damn and the battery would run down quickly. Installed a new battery in it and it fires almost faster then you can let off the start button.

Sean

i havent done anything with the floats, just took them out to clean them out and that's about it. I may have to take the carbs apart again or something...

So im confused at the end, maybe im missing something :ummm:

Lets start form the beggining:
Your bike cranks or not? its cranks for a while and then dead or it cranks but wont fire?

If its cranks for a while is there any blump/shot form exhaust?

it cranks.
i jump the solenoid terminals.
it cranks.
it seems like it wants to start but it just wont.

i didn't mess with float heights or anything, just took them off to clean and put them back on. I didn't do any adjustments or anything really. I'll crank it again for a bit and check the plugs to see if they are wet.

yeah, i'm getting nice thick blue spark on all 4 plugs. There the back left cylinder wasn't getting and spark so I unplugged it from the coil and saw some of the wire was corroded so I cut off just a hair of the rubber and cleaned the wire till it was copper again. Got a thick blue spark after that

One thing we did for another customer some time back. He had driven the bike 3 hours to me with a similar problem. We jumped started the bike using the big charger with 250amp boost (you can use your car/truck). It took a bit of cranking but finally fired up. Then after that it started just fine.

Full choke and no throttle input usually works best or maybe slight throttle input if it tries to run.

Sean

So if its crancks but wont start, you have good spark so theres only one problem. Starter motor or starter realy.
Nothing else i can see.

it cranks.
i jump the solenoid terminals.
it cranks.
it seems like it wants to start but it just wont.

i didn't mess with float heights or anything, just took them off to clean and put them back on. I didn't do any adjustments or anything really. I'll crank it again for a bit and check the plugs to see if they are wet.

Did you look at the plugs after cranking - are they wet or dry?

If you crank with the plugs out, do you get a strong smell of gas?

Did you try squirting a little gas in each cylinder, then refit the plugs and have a go?

I decided to check the fuel pump to see if that could be the culprit, I might be right. It works and all but when I opened it up it was bone dry! I took some pics. Let me upload them

First I think you're starter relay is bad (maybe use Sean's part exchange to check). Also think your float(s) are stuck. Get a rubber mallet and tap the bowls to release them.
I had a similar problem recently..my relay was bad..also check for loose/frayed wires grounding out somewhere as Tugla mentioned

I thought you said you had fuel coming out of the hose?

ZineStuff969.jpg

ZineStuff970.jpg

I checked the diaphragm part and it's all good. I did however find this little round rubber button thingy in the pump.
ZineStuff972.jpg

It was inside of this
ZineStuff971.jpg

Where does it go?

and yeah there was fuel from the fuel filter and all that but it seems like there isn't much coming from the pump. The one "material coated" main fuel line that feeds the carbs from the pump didn't seem to have much if any fuel in it when i dapped my finger on it

There should be tiny spring loaded valves at both the inlet side, and the outlet side of that pump. The tiny rubber piece you have shown MUST be inserted into the spring portion of the valve in order to build pressure.

There should be a rubber piece in the other end too. If those rubber pieces are fallen out, or displaced, other than being pressed into the center of the spring valve, the pump WILL NOT build proper fuel pressure out to your fuel lines.

There are pics in another thread on here somewhere showing exactly what that little rubber part should look like when properly placed into the spring part of the pressure valves at each end of your pump.

With your rubber parts fallen out of place, you should have been hearing that pump doing a lot of pumping (clicking) each time you turned on the key.

i think we found out why my bike won't run! I'll look at the "noisy fuel pump" thread again. When I opened this thing up there were no spring loaded anythings on this thing. just the two empty holes and the rubber piece wedged off to the bottomish side of the pump (see pic 1)

Push the nipple though the silver hole approx in the center of picture number 1. The nipple from the other diaphragm that is just like it is visible in that same picture just to the right and above. It is facing in from the other direction which is correct.

Sean

Latest posts

Back