Steering Bearing Removal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m-cman

Alien Abductee
Reaction score
I have read every post I can find on this subject but haven't found an answer to my question. How can I remove the lower bearing without damaging it? I want to chrome the triple trees and need to remove the bearing.

If it can't be done, does the factory replacement bearing have the rubber cup on the bottom like the original?

Thanks.

You can't remove the outer race w/o destroying it. The replacement you order will come with the rubber seal.

Mark

Is there any way to remove the stem from the lower bracket leaving the bearing? Then just re-install the stem after chroming the lower bracket. Hate to toss a good bearing. Just want to chrome the two fork brackets/trees and looking for the best method.

Is removing the bearing and installing a new one after chroming my only option?

I'm not sure. When replacing bearings we left the stem on the lower triple and just removed the bearing(minus the outer race) from that. Looking at the fiche it doesn't look like the stem is removable. Sean? You chromed these so you would know.

Mark

Attachments

• lowerstep.jpg
    lowerstep.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 16
I thought you could get it out with a blind puller? Yes...no?:ummm:

You can remove them but we stopped doing that. We leave the bearing on until it's done being chromed then removed and replace the bearing. This helps keep the surface from being chromed (they mask off the rest) and the new bearing isn't all that expensive. You can reuse your lower race if it was good to begin with.

I keep chromed tripples in stock and ready to go normally!

Sean Morley

Back