steering wobble

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonerdave

Reaction score
Hello

I'm getting a terrible wobble in the front end right around 45 mph. I only feel it when I REALLY loosen my grip on the bars - if I am gripping normal I don't notice it. It doesn't seem to wobble at lower speeds. I suppose this could be a number of things, but what would be the order to check them in? Thanks

stearing bearing nuts. first things first. do bounce test.

+1 99% sure your bearings will need tightening up a bit.

Make sure to check for roughness too - if you feel ANY then those bearings will need replacing. On an '85 it's more than likely they will need it - what's your mileage? On my '86 (with 37k at the time) they were completely shot, and gave me the Death Wobble at 115+ mph..

Got the same issue 6 months ago, wheel bearing dying ...
I just replaced them and it was gone.
I still experience it when I get a fucking hole on the road, but else it's all fine.

Just read a thing on the "Furbur Fix". I gather I need a metal washer to replace the rubber one. Can I get one at a local hardware store, or does it need to be custom made? Anyone know where to get one? Also, where's the best place to get new steering bearings? I've gone through Mondak with most of this kinda stuff before, but it always take 3 weeks or so to get to me. I'd like this job done within a week (ready for the Indiana ride next weekend), so I want what I need soon.

Dave, did you try the bounce test or snugging up the bearings yet? Might just take a little tweak and you'll be good for the weekend ride.

Mondack is prolly your best bet price wise, maybe check with him about 3 day or express rates.

IMO the washer fix is not the 'magic bullet' for fixing wobbles, in fact I doubt that it does very much at all. However, this is Furber's site, you can prolly find the washer on there.

http://www.rmsportmax.com/

danny

whenever there is ANY wobble?

yea yukoner, u can do it with normal tools. a drift, hammer, screwdriver will all get those tightened. i'd try keep it stock first.

ah well then yes, sean and i discussed this. its a pita.

What is the steering bounce test?

Steering wobble on the front end?

I also had this problem.

Check front tire pressure, and then if you have a FORK Bag on the front forks it can cause a wobble because air pushes through it, and pushes it back and forth.

If this hasn't cured it, I bought an aftermarket fork brace off of ebay. If this doesn't fix it, then I might try this "bounce" test.

Thanks

Failed bounce test miserably (It is simply a matter of raising the front end and letting the forks fall from center to the stops on either end - they shouldn't bounce when they hit the stops, but should just rest there). I ordered bearings from Sean, but it sounds like that's going to be a winter job. For now, I'm gonna tighten the adjuster and hope that works out. There is no front to back movement in the forks (that I can tell), and the movement when turning back to forth seems smooth. I'm guessing that the bearings are ok, but I'll still feel better replacing them after the season is over. Thanks for the input, everyone!

I had a wobble at about the same speed, and checked my tire, to notice it was cupped pretty badly. (Only had the Max a few weeks at that time.) Replaced tire, and all's well.

tightened the nut and my wobble seems to be gone. Good call everyone! BTW I ordered new bearings from Morley on Friday and he got them to me on Monday afternoon - thanks Sean! I will switch them out over the winter.

Latest posts

Back