Stuck in 1st gear

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

355cid

Reaction score
First of all, Thanks for allowing me into this forum and allowing me to tap into this Fort Knox of knowledge. I bought my first Vmax yesterday after years of wanting one. It's an '86 with 26k miles on it. The poor soul I bought it from let someone take it for a test ride and the guy brought it back stuck in 1st gear and didn't tell the owner, he just left. I got it dirt cheap and I took it apart this afternoon and found it was missing one of the pins on the front of the shift drum. Reading some of the other posts on this site I figured thats what I would find. So what is the Double D upgrade all about and what all am I gonna need to order to get this beast back on the road. It's missing one dowel pin and the little tin star looking thingie that holds that pin in place is looking pretty used up. Thanks for any help.

Sounds like your going to need the upgraded shift segment.
Here are the part numbers, not including gaskets;

4NK-18185-00-00, SEGMENT (only need 1)
93604-12037-00 PIN, DOWEL (Need 5)

93604-16092-00 PIN, DOWEL (Only need 1)

Sounds like your going to need the upgraded shift segment.
Here are the part numbers, not including gaskets;

4NK-18185-00-00, SEGMENT (only need 1)
93604-12037-00 PIN, DOWEL (Need 5)

93604-16092-00 PIN, DOWEL (Only need 1)

+1 to KJ's post - also you need to get the old missing pin out. It is more than likely at the bottom of the oil pan, which means exhaust need to come off first, than you can take the oil pan off.

Mike

355cid: Wow, sounds like you've got a big head start on some of us here. I'd be freaking over what to do to even find out what the problem was. Sounds like you're already headed in the direction of a fix. You may well become part of the Ft. Knox of knowledge here. Welcome to the VMF.

Dave

Thanks you guys. I was wondering what to do about the missing pin. It wasn't stuck to the magnetic oil drain plug like I hoped. I have another question that I forgot to post yesterday. Somebody has been inside the clutch before because the lock washer for the hub nut has been used and re-bent and the countersunk phillips screws that go in the retainer for the input shaft bearing are kinda buggered up. The nut that holds the hub on has a smooth side and a recess on one side and I'm wondering which side goes out? Whoever put it back together last had the side with the recess facing out. Thanks for any help.

Thanks again, the way it looked it made more sense to have it facing in so I thought I'd better ask than put it back together wrong. What effect if any would that nut being backwards have in the grand scheme of things. This is my 1st Max and I need to learn as much as I can and there is no better group of teachers. I'm so glad I found this forum!

Thanks you guys. I was wondering what to do about the missing pin. It wasn't stuck to the magnetic oil drain plug like I hoped.

I found mine up in the oil pick-up screen. Look way to the sides. Mine was off to the side and I missed it the first look.

O.K. Thanks. I looked at an online parts breakdown and I didn't see anything listed specifically as an oil pan gasket. Does this have a reuseable o-ring or does Yamaha refer to the gasket by a different name? Thanks for your help.

It's under the oil strainer section. $8.74 plus shipping.

Thanks, I'll take a gander at that section. I contacted a Yamaha dealer near here and was quoted approx $150.00 for the upgraded segment, the 6 pins and the clutch cover gasket. Does that sound about right to you? Thanks for all your help. Larry.

Thanks alot. This a great forum. I really appreciate the help. I can't wait to get this bike back together and find out how my H2 Kawasaki measures up to it. It's a '72 with a Fast by Gast Stage1 top end with a set of Pro-Flow chambers anda set of 34mm Mikunis. Should be interesting if I can get it off the line right. Whadda you think the outcome will be? I've never driven a Vmax before. Larry.

Here's what I price the segment parts at (and some other optional stuff):

The shift segment parts run:
SEGMENT
4NK-18185-00-00 1 $40.16
PIN,DOWEL
93604-12037-00 5 $1.87
SCREW,COUNTERSUNK
90151-06013-00 1 $1.94
PIN,DOWEL
93604-16092-00 1 $1.13
Gasket 1 $7.44
Total: $60.02

DD Conversion at the same time Looking at:
$75 Spring
$10 each clutch plate ($80 for a set though you only need one for the basic conversion)

Sean

That's quite a difference. Forgive my asking but I'm new here, do you sell parts and if so how do I go about buying them through you? Also, do you keep these parts on hand and how much shipping to 54501? I'd rather support this forum and its members to payback the help I've already gotten from everyone. Thanks, Larry.

I bought this thing cheap enough that I could spend a wad of money on it and still not be hurt. This thing was somebodys baby and well cared for plus I have lots of faith in Yamaha engineering. I don't want to sound unpatriotic or anything but I was a Toyota parts man for alot of years and I've owned Jap bikes my whole life except for my Sportster and I think Japanese products are some of the best engineered and well thought out offerings on the market. That's just my humble opinion. Thanks, Larry.

I'm not normally that much different but I know what you need and usually have it on hand. Odds are the tool at the dealer didn't have a clue and who knows what he priced you. I have quite a few OEM parts on hand (probably more then anyone in the U.S. for vmax stuff) as well as a number of aftermarket stuff. You can click on any of my links or the add banner for me at the top of the forum.

Looking at about $7 to ship the stuff to you.

Sean

Hi Sean, You were right ( again ). I tried another dealer and they were right in step with you on their pricing. The first dealer I tried had boned me before on a re-jet kit I bought from them for my '97 SX700 Vmax sled, so I shoulda known better. Anywho, the dealer I went to today said the parts should be here Mon. so I went ahead and put in an order. I needed the circlip and washer that hold the shifter on its mount also. I'm sorry for not ordering from you but I live waaaaay up North and I really want to get this thing back together so I can see if anything else is wrong with it and be able to get it taken care of over the winter and be ready to go next spring. I'm on vacation next week and if the parts arrive as promised, I should be ready to roll. Thanks again, Larry.

Latest posts

Back