The Max's rep

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got an '85. When the bike came out when I was 15 ('85 as well) a neighborhood guy had one. He would cruise around on it and we would just stare at it in awe. We could imagine no more beastly motorcycle on the planet.

I also recently got an '84 RZ350, the other bike I lusted for back then (aside from a 900 Ninja). The RZ is warmed up a bit and very quick.

I was terrified to ride the Max, or "The Kracken" as I call it. I downloaded an MC report of the bike, read all of the tests, surfed the net and read the stories. I fully expected the bike to follow one or multiple courses of action upon opening the throttle:

1. Big power wheelie;
2. Huge fishtailing burnout;
3. Stretch my arms to the point of pain and give me serious pucker;
4. A wormhole would open up and space and time would be altered forever.

Well, I was actually very surprised at how docile and confidence inspiring the bike is. Unlike the RZ, the Max is very easy to just tool around on. Huge torque and smooth power delivery make it a real sweetheart to ride. Within 40 minutes of getting on it and getting adjusted to it, I wound it up out of the hole to redline in the first three gears. No wheelspin, no wheelie, no plasticman arms after the burst and no rip in the fabric of time and space. Yeah, it MOVES, but it doesn't strike instant terror into my heart or cause massive pucker. In fact, the RZ with its light weight and explosive power delivery from 6-10k is much more scary to ride. I STILL have not been able to wind the RZ up in first gear because it will come up the second it comes on the pipe in 1st.

So, it IS a fast bike. It is not the Devil's motorcycle. :biglaugh:

Hell, I expected it to be faster! :thumbs up:

Mike

Don't forget the best line ever to describe a Max...

"I saw Jesus so many times that I started using him as a braking marker"(from memory):rofl_200::rofl_200::clapping: So true on the originals not nearly that bad on the newer ones though...:thumbs up:

Don't forget the best line ever to describe a Max...

"I saw Jesus so many times that I started using him as a braking marker"(from memory):rofl_200::rofl_200::clapping: So true on the originals not nearly that bad on the newer ones though...:thumbs up:

I particularly like this line from Cycle World, May 1985.

"Another quarter second and you reach what would be called the powerand on any other motorcycle but it is more like some kind of hyper-thrust on the V-Max. That happens at about 6500 rpm, at which point the V-Max starts going faster faster. By then, the V-Max has become a virtual missle, a manually controlled rocket aimed at the heart of any rider who lusts for the thrills of raw horsepower."

:punk:

I mean, with reviews like that...who is not going to be intimidated?? :rofl_200:

Haha nice.

I've ridden a few bikes, a few faster than the Max, but they weren't a V-Max either. I like the bike for the "Cult following" some what, otherwise, I like the sound my bike has, the people that talk to me about it, and a good group of guys that seem to follow the bike and have great informational sites like this.

Haha nice.

I've ridden a few bikes, a few faster than the Max, but they weren't a V-Max either. I like the bike for the "Cult following" some what, otherwise, I like the sound my bike has, the people that talk to me about it, and a good group of guys that seem to follow the bike and have great informational sites like this.

Oh, I agree 100%

The bike is plenty fast enough. I was just saying that I was shaking in my boots before I rode the bike...based on the reputation...and it didn't end up as bad as I thought it would be. It is a joy to ride!

Mike

FWIW I bought my bike with only seeing pics and talking to the guy via e-mail. I hadn't ridden for 5 years or so, and got this bike.

In the hands of somebody compitant, they're kittens. :D

Max is definitely a bike with a dual personality.
Back around 1986, I was hanging out at a little saloon in the neighborhood. A good-looking barmaid (the sister of the owner, and as I found out later, liked girls more than I did!) had just gotten her drivers permit. She had a beat up old Yamaha XS400. I had seen her riding a few times, and she was getting pretty good at it. I invited her to take the Max out for a spin around the neighborhood. "Just make sure you have it aimed when you pull the trigger!".

Last I saw of her, she was grinning from ear to ear, as she was disappearing down the street.

She got back half an hour later, and went out looking for a bigger bike the same day.

She was intimidated by the bikes reputation, but once on it, found it very easy to ride-sanely...

After mine was delivered a few friends of mine came over to look at it. You'd think after being in production for over 20 years that other riders would know the scoops are just for styling.

One of my friends was talking about the things he's heard about the V-boost and was under the impression that when it kicked in the scoops would open up, which prompted an argument with the other friend who stated that the scoops were always open and the V-boost was like a clutch-blower.

They about shit when I told them they both were wrong. I think a big part of the Max's rep is still the mystique and the myths behind the bike. I rode a friends a few years back which led to me bying this one. From what I can remember was the smooth torque. I can't wait til summer to get aquainted with this one, I'm just hoping it will feel as strong as the big twin in my chopper.

Jayhawk,
I'm 38 going on 39 in March. Once in awhile I ride with the "younger" crowed. Most of them are on sport bikes. They all ask question about the Vmax I ride, they also seem to repect it too. I was a teenager when the Vmax came out. I tried to buy one when I was 17, my dad wouldn't let me have one. So I got a 700 Frazer instead, I was hooked on these bikes then. After joining the Army I upgraded to a Vmax, it was fun to ride it then and It's still fun today!. I have had several other bike since that Vmax and some many years later I came back to a Vmax. I feel like I did back in the 90's, on tha Vmax. I guess you can say it my fountain of youth.

Jayhawk,
I'm 38 going on 39 in March. Once in awhile I ride with the "younger" crowed. Most of them are on sport bikes. They all ask question about the Vmax I ride, they also seem to repect it too. I was a teenager when the Vmax came out. I tried to buy one when I was 17, my dad wouldn't let me have one. So I got a 700 Frazer instead, I was hooked on these bikes then. After joining the Army I upgraded to a Vmax, it was fun to ride it then and It's still fun today!. I have had several other bike since that Vmax and some many years later I came back to a Vmax. I feel like I did back in the 90's, on tha Vmax. I guess you can say it my fountain of youth.

I guess I'm the "younger crowd". I'm 25 and own the V-Max. I have a friend that's 21 who has an 87 Fazer 700.

I plan on either the new Max if it ever comes out, or a ZX 14 for a second bike. I like 'em all.

I'm 48 and here in the U.P. of Michigan you ride mostly by yourself unless you have a buddy. No real motorcycle "scene" around here but I'm lucky that I have my brother to ride with most of the time.
Wherever we go it seems my "old" '92 Vmax gets all the attention while his 2003 FZ1 may not even get a glance. As I continue to mod this winter he is going to get less attention!:punk:

I guess I'm the "younger crowd". I'm 25 and own the V-Max. I have a friend that's 21 who has an 87 Fazer 700.

I plan on either the new Max if it ever comes out, or a ZX 14 for a second bike. I like 'em all.

Second bike? cool, you decided to keep your max then right?

Yeah it's lookin' like I'll keep it. Probably won't sport a second bike for a year or two though. I have a plan to get into a LOT bigger house in two years.

I?d read all the ?stuff-of-legend? narratives that you find on the net and hadn?t given it much weight until I began to realize that until relatively recently, these reviews hadn?t changed their enthusiastic tone since the bike was released in the mid 80?s.

When you repeat something enough it tends to become fact, whether its fact or not.

So the reputation is now ?factually established?.

How deeply held that view of the V-max is, was driven home to me about two weeks after I fitted the Brembo callipers to the front end.

I paid the local Ducati shop a visit to pick up a new set of brake pads. The shop had just changed hands and the new owners were in their fifties. They heard me arrive and one guy walked out to see what had created the ?small block? sound in the carpark. When he laid eyes on the V-max the conversation fired up straightaway. It always does.

?Awe, that sounds great?
?How long have had it?
?Hey you?ve fitted Brembo?s

..and then the moment that sums up this whole thread.

At that moment, young guy, Mr. Barelytwentysomething, who had pulled up on his late model Ducati something-or-other, goes to walk in the shop but before he can get past the new owner he is collared and told?..wait for it??here it comes?.

?Hey check this out. A V-max. 10 seconds straight out of the box in 1988?

Mr. Barelytwentysomething, looked at the bike and his face went blank. The incongruity of what he saw and what he was hearing just couldn?t be resolved in his mind. ?Yeah??, he said.

?Yeah. Fuckin? awesome bike? said the new owner.

A legend is a legend when the bike gets quicker with every telling of the story.

I know I already posted but as my summary, if your thinking of buying a Vmax. You probably now have good idea by now what you might be getting into. Hot bike - regaurdless of it's aging style, gentle as a kitten until you hit the boost and wake up the lion. But still isn't recommended as a first time bike, for the majority.

I too had a RZ350 many years ago and enjoyed it's screaming 2 stroke power - fun machine...but the crotch rockets are what they are - rockets. The Vmax has "class" mature and sexy with power all in one. They just forgot to add real brakes, a comfortable seat and good suspension. It a bit of a gas guzzler and doesn't support any space to carry any luggage.
Other than that - it's a great ( wind in your face ) ride - fast or slow and for the most part worth every penny to buy one.
However, with a few mods and "make it your own," all things considered....in a nut-shell, it can be one of the best all around bikes available so go for it. :biglaugh:

I just had post it !

I?d read all the ?stuff-of-legend? narratives that you find on the net and hadn?t given it much weight until I began to realize that until relatively recently, these reviews hadn?t changed their enthusiastic tone since the bike was released in the mid 80?s.

When you repeat something enough it tends to become fact, whether its fact or not.

So the reputation is now ?factually established?.

How deeply held that view of the V-max is, was driven home to me about two weeks after I fitted the Brembo callipers to the front end.

I paid the local Ducati shop a visit to pick up a new set of brake pads. The shop had just changed hands and the new owners were in their fifties. They heard me arrive and one guy walked out to see what had created the ?small block? sound in the carpark. When he laid eyes on the V-max the conversation fired up straightaway. It always does.

?Awe, that sounds great?
?How long have had it?
?Hey you?ve fitted Brembo?s

..and then the moment that sums up this whole thread.

At that moment, young guy, Mr. Barelytwentysomething, who had pulled up on his late model Ducati something-or-other, goes to walk in the shop but before he can get past the new owner he is collared and told?..wait for it??here it comes?.

?Hey check this out. A V-max. 10 seconds straight out of the box in 1988?

Mr. Barelytwentysomething, looked at the bike and his face went blank. The incongruity of what he saw and what he was hearing just couldn?t be resolved in his mind. ?Yeah??, he said.

?Yeah. Fuckin? awesome bike? said the new owner.

A legend is a legend when the bike gets quicker with every telling of the story.

I remember a test in one of the magazines back in the late 80's, name of the article was "taking them to the nines" or something like that. They had a V-max and,I think, a gsxr1100 with which they did a few mods to and got them into the high 9's. As I recall the vmax did not take a whole lot to get there, a slick, replaced the rear shocks with solid struts and a few minor other mods.

Was a long time ago so I don't remember all the specifics but I do remember they did get it there without a whole lot of work.

I remember a test in one of the magazines back in the late 80's, name of the article was "taking them to the nines" or something like that. They had a V-max and,I think, a gsxr1100 with which they did a few mods to and got them into the high 9's. As I recall the vmax did not take a whole lot to get there, a slick, replaced the rear shocks with solid struts and a few minor other mods.

Was a long time ago so I don't remember all the specifics but I do remember they did get it there without a whole lot of work.

The 9's are a lot farther away than you think!Very few ever see them and they will not be streetable ones.

The 9's are a lot farther away than you think!Very few ever see them and they will not be streetable ones.

Oh, I don't dispute that at all.

I just remember that article and reading it thinking "wow". Like I said I don't remember exactly what mods it took to get them there and obviously the biggest mod of all was the driver. I would probably need another hundred horses over what it would take a real drag racer to get down to the 9's.

I just remember the article. Now I will have to try and find it and make sure I have not lost my mind.

Oh, I don't dispute that at all.

I just remember that article and reading it thinking "wow". Like I said I don't remember exactly what mods it took to get them there and obviously the biggest mod of all was the driver. I would probably need another hundred horses over what it would take a real drag racer to get down to the 9's.

I just remember the article. Now I will have to try and find it and make sure I have not lost my mind.

If you do find it,I'd love to see it posted for us to read.

I red that article the other day, it was a gixxer, Vmax and an eliminator. They put new rims and rubber, carb work, and a pip on the max. But the main thing was featherweight, 130lb, Jay Gleason doing the driving.

I red that article the other day, it was a gixxer, Vmax and an eliminator. They put new rims and rubber, carb work, and a pip on the max. But the main thing was featherweight, 130lb, Jay Gleason doing the driving.

So which pip is Jay?:whistlin:

Attachments

• Gladys Knight And The Pips.jpg
    Gladys Knight And The Pips.jpg
    6.5 KB
Back