The Time Has Come!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always tell everyone that the 85 bone stock, never altered bike probably has 26-27 year old brake lines, carb boots, diaphragms etc. So what it only has 6,000 miles or whatever low mileage. I'd rather have a bike with all the newer pickup coils, bigger forks, rotors, new style CDI.
Best part of an 85 are the stamped side covers and hopefully a low VIN. I also look for expensive mods that do not alter the motor much. I like forged pistons and rods as much as the next guy but I'd have no qualms with braided brake lines, upgraded calipers, rotors, Progressives, Maxgasser, Dyna, muscle kit, full exhuast etc. We never get our investment back out. But why spend the same money for stock when I can have a Hindle, R-1 brakes or custom seat for the same money. Ask Rick Rash about his Gen I he sold and what it cost to assemble. I'd much rather be the guy buying his bike!

Without knowing the bike,,, Yes you're better off with a newer bike.

I bought an 89 with 35,000 miles on it for $2,100.00. Initially thought it would be a simple process to get it back in shape and I could flip the bike for a few bucks.To get it where it sits right now, I added another $1,500.00 in parts and 1200 hours of my own time. Now. I wouldn't hesitate jumping on it and going cross country. If I discount my time to being worth $10.00 an hour, I've got $15,600.00 in the bike.... That, Sucks... Buy one you know or one that's newer....

Keep in mind I owned the 98 that's here locally. I can also help get it crated for shipping. You'd have more in it then $3k by the time it shipped but maybe not a lot more. Plus it's a 98 so almost all the updated stuff they had available.

Sean

Well Sean, I already know from lurking here for so long that you are a go-to for anything V-max, I surf your site a bit as well. So I would feel about as confident in that bike as I possibly could. My biggest hurdle would be the bottom line, as $3000 is already stretching things a bit thin, and if I can pull $3200 together for one it'll be a miracle. My hope is that I can find a bike that I can negotiate a deal under that amount.

I have a lot of thinking to do. And I have to be patient. Knowing that I can finally get one makes the money start burning a hole in my wallet. I have to balance the desire/emotion with reason and common sense.

Right now I am going to wait to find out more about the local offerings, but I will be thinking about that bike as well. If there's any pictures or other information I'd be interested.

I know he will take $2500. That would get it pretty close to your $3000 budget with shipping. It's possible he may take enough less to get it there. Maybe he would consider delivering it for the $3k (we have a couple of weeks plant shutdown coming up at the end of the year.).

You can email me with your information (email/number) and i'll give it to him so he can send you a lot of pics.

Sean
[email protected]

I know he will take $2500. That would get it pretty close to your $3000 budget with shipping. It's possible he may take enough less to get it there. Maybe he would consider delivering it for the $3k (we have a couple of weeks plant shutdown coming up at the end of the year.).

You can email me with your information (email/number) and i'll give it to him so he can send you a lot of pics.

Sean
[email protected]

Well that sounds like a pretty-solid deal, a bike already gone through and possibly delivered to your doorstep! And, for about your 'max' $!:clapping:

There aren't many better Christmas presents than a new (to you) bike for riding enjoyment once the riding season returns.

Sean - I sent an email for pics.

I think that bike would be probably my safest bet. I'd rather buy a bike that Sean can vouch for than a local bike I have to check out myself. Although I am fairly mechanically adept, it'd be too easy to miss something without any practical V-max experience.

Fire-medic - You are absolutely right. Part of me feels guilty for buying such an expensive gift for myself, but then I remember how I sold my V65 Magna to move to CA 8 years ago, and how every time a bike goes by (about every minute here in sunny SoCal) I feel the ache. It's been WAY too long.

By the first twist of the throttle on my new max, I doubt any trace of that guilt will remain :biglaugh:

Thats a good deal. Its always a plus buying from knowledgable Vmax owner like Sean.

Don't be afraid of the shipping. I found out, its not that bad.
I've never bought any vehicle or large object from the lower 48 until '05 when I bought my chopper. It was $1000 to get it crated and shipped from Daytona Custom Works in Florida. It took about week to get to where I was in Alaska. Thats not bad at all considering it took a Semi then a barge ride to get to where I was at. The only bad thing was it arrived on the 4th of July and the docks were closed :bang head:

When I got the loan for the bike, I had the people I bought it from inflate the price by a grand to cover the shipping costs in the loan. I miss that bike, I'd still have it if it wasn't a back killer and I didn't already have a messed up back.

Borg!!!

I'm exited for ya I just got my first max 2 weeks ago the feel to twist that throttle is awsome took a 140 mile ride and found myself giggling out loud in my helmet several times. Can't believe it's mine!!! All mine!!!

Yes! I still remember the first ride on each of my previous bikes. They were all great, but I never wanted a specific bike so much - so I know the feeling will be tenfold over what I can imagine.

Back