Throttle cables

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Limeyrider

Reaction score
Hi ....looking for some some guidance... I have the four carbs ready to refit to the '85 VMax, the " close " side cable has a brass ferrule about an inch or so back from the end ferrule ...I don't see where the brass ferrule fits ... can anyone point me in the right direction please. Thank you.

Hopefully photo below is sufficient to work it out. There will be two circular eyelets for the ferrule , with a slot to allow the cable through.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220712-204231.png
    Screenshot_20220712-204231.png
    477.4 KB
Thank you 02GF74 .... hard to see on the photo. I have the ferrule at the end of the cable in place in the two cross holes, and the cable is running in the slot .... but that leaves the brass ferrule not located anywhere ???. Sorry to appear dumb.

Let's start again.

Below is photo showing both ends of the cable. (I believe both halves of a cable are identical)

I've not found any photos showing how the cables fit at the carbs and am unable to see what's going on without taking my carbs out, the information may not be 100 % correct as I'm working from memory.

The end near the right angle that has a disc on the end fits into a circular hole in a cam attached to a spindle in the carbs that has a groove for the inner wire

The other end has a cylinder. This fits into a plastic piece that itself is inside a rectangular block found under the left hand scoop.

Each push/pull cable from throttle to the carbs is 2 pieces, the join being made by the block.

Are you able able to to post photo of the carbs and cable ends as it oughta be possible to figure it out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220713-221732.jpg
    Screenshot_20220713-221732.jpg
    26.3 KB
Hi 02GF74,
The two short cables for my carbs are not identical ... they are the same length, but the " close " section has the brass ferrule as well as the white metal ferrule. Apparently, the brass ferrule is a " stop " to prevent the cable from pulling too far ... I copied this response . Thanks for your input. 1657748736997.png

OK, i think the photo I posted is the part at the throttle, so not use yo you.

When I serviced my carbs, I disconnected the cables at the block and left them in place on the carbs so don't recall the exact fitting, sorry wasn't able to help you.

Hi 02GF74.... the brass ferrule was the puzzle, too bad that Yamaha did not mention the ( non ) function in the manual, it would gave saved some head scratching !. Thanks for your input.

Latest posts

Back