Throttle lock clone

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilks

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was looking for a throttle lock to replace the Kuryakyn one I couldn’t reuse after replacing bars and grips.

Saw a lot of reviews on an Atlas lock but at $155 that wasn’t gonna fly.

Found this copy that as far as I can see is pretty much the same thing for $16.99!!!!

It’s solid and made from aluminum and looks EXACTLY like the more expensive one.

I’ll install and give a report as soon as it’s not 100 here. 🔥

Attachments

• IMG_5885.jpeg
    IMG_5885.jpeg
    2.1 MB
  • IMG_5886.jpeg
    IMG_5886.jpeg
    2.1 MB
  • IMG_5887.jpeg
    IMG_5887.jpeg
    1.4 MB
Have you had a chance to install it? I am looking at installing some sort of throttle lock cruise control and the Atlas lock comes up. But the gap between the throttle handle and switch gear is tiny. Just wondering if it will actually fit.

I haven’t yet….it has to sit directly against the throttle housing to work properly. That would necessitate either changing the sleeve or grinding down the raised portion of the stock one.

I’m not ready to go thru all that yet.

I am taking one off a 97 (not sure on the brand). It mounts on the inboard side of the switch housing then reaches over to the grip. I didn't grab a picture yet. Maybe $40? Email me at [email protected]

I haven’t yet….it has to sit directly against the throttle housing to work properly. That would necessitate either changing the sleeve or grinding down the raised portion of the stock one.

I’m not ready to go thru all that yet.
I tried to fit one of the Chinese clones at the weekend. The body is way too thin to work with the gap that I have between the grip and the housing. When you push the on lever, it just tilts away from housing and does nothing. With the rubber between the device and the throttle you can't tighten it sufficiently on a 7/8" bar. I tried my best but ended up stripping the thread on the tightening screw.

I guess my takeaway from this is when something says "one size fits all", it really means one size fits nothing properly. I don't know if the real Atlas would be any better but I'm not spending £170 to find out.

I'll investigate the Kuryakyn version of the Brakeaway next...unless someone else can let me know how good that is?

You can’t have any gap…..the lock has to sit directly next to the housing and the grip has to be up against the the opposite side. There can’t be any space between either….it’s why they give you spacers to make the housing side tight. 🤷‍♂️

I had the Kuryakyn…..it wouldn’t keep a constant speed….kept loosening up.

I realise that, but there are no spacers only rubber pads with the one that I bought, which squash out when you tighten the screw and, ironically, lock the throttle!

I'd actually be happy to pay for the Brakeaway if I could find anyone that confirms that it works. Looks like I'm flogging a dead horse at the moment.

To be fair, I never had cruise control until I bought a BMW, so I can probably do without it.

I'd actually be happy to pay for the Brakeaway if I could find anyone that confirms that it works. Looks like I'm flogging a dead horse at the moment.

I have the Brake Away throttle locks on both my Gen 1 and Gen 2. Both work well. Takes about 40-45 minutes to install and set up. I have pics of install of both somewhere here on the forum if you wanna check them out. The only down side to Brake Aways......$$$$. I paid $150 each.

I have the Brake Away throttle locks on both my Gen 1 and Gen 2. Both work well. Takes about 40-45 minutes to install and set up. I have pics of install of both somewhere here on the forum if you wanna check them out. The only down side to Brake Aways......$$$$. I paid $150 each.
Hi Pighuntingpuppy

Thanks for this. I'm not really concerned about the price if it works. Buy cheap, buy twice...and you still have two crap items.

I'd really appreciate a link to photos, if you can find them.

One further question...I have Rizoma metal flanged grips. Do you think this would cause a problem?

Cheers

Dave

Hi Pighuntingpuppy

Thanks for this. I'm not really concerned about the price if it works. Buy cheap, buy twice...and you still have two crap items.

I'd really appreciate a link to photos, if you can find them.

One further question...I have Rizoma metal flanged grips. Do you think this would cause a problem?

Cheers

Dave
I have stock grips on my bikes. The Gen 2 fit very well with the stock grips.

NOW.....I have to say....when I bought my Brake Aways, I went through a bit of a battle getting the unit for the Gen 1. Cause the original they had was no longer sold, there was a variant. I thought I saved the email with the part numbers, but I did not. When I ordered these, 3 were ordered at the same time. One for the Gen 1, one for the Gen 2, and one for my buddy's Kawasaki Vulcan. Each of them were labeled to which bike they went to. The Gen 1 and the Vulcan had different sized holes for the throttle. For me, a simple swap was all that was needed to remedy.

What I would suggest is asking them if they can use different diameter rings so they will fit your hand grips. You will need to measure what yours is. If what they send you is slightly too big, there are spacers and such for a custom fit.

Use the search function and type in

Vista Cruise throttle lock​

by 20VMax20.

There I have posted pictures of the Gen 1 and Gen 2

Following on from my last...I've managed to get a conversation going with Brakeaway but, as yet, no solution. I thought that I had found the solution with the 7CP02 but, while watching their installation video I'm not sure how I would attach this to my RIZOMA grips.

IMG_0274.jpg

They are metal with no flange and I don't know if the 7CP02 will grip sufficiently. Does anyone have any experience of trying this? I inherited these aftermarket grips and I am reluctant to replace them...but I will if necessary.
Thanks

I've got Rizoma grips on most of my bike, the Sport grips just like you, and I don't see the throttle lock working with them as they do have that aluminum portion on the end and even if you could lock onto it, it's going to destroy the finish in short order and look like 💩

I agree...just needed confirmation., so thanks for that. I'll probably put the Rizoma's on my Bandit and put the Renthals, that were destined for there, on the VMAX - or treat it to something a little more exotic!
I appreciate the quick reply.
Dave

Latest posts

Back