To clutch or not to clutch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Astro Gen2

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Love the forum, have been reading and learning even before I had one.

Was searching for my Gen 2 and finally have one. Waited a while as there’s not many around in Australia and whoever has one keeps them!
Have racked up over 1000 kays with them getting progressively faster and riding with more confidence.

So, my question is, when riding the Vmax hard, do you use the clutch on every gear change either up or down, or do you use it on the way down only? Or up.

Am hearing from sports bike riders that they don’t use it after they have taken off but I’m concerned about unnecessary wear and damage. Does it damage the gears?

I have been riding for a long time and have always used the clutch however… when launching the VMAX hard, you really need to hang on so changing from first to second requires a lot of hanging on so releasing 2 fingers (probably my dirt bike style) makes me feel like I’m not hanging on enough.

Curious to hear your thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_4855.jpeg
    IMG_4855.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Am hearing from sports bike riders that they don’t use it after they have taken off but I’m concerned about unnecessary wear and damage. Does it damage the gears?

I have been riding for a long time and have always used the clutch however… when launching the VMAX hard, you really need to hang on so changing from first to second requires a lot of hanging on so releasing 2 fingers (probably my dirt bike style) makes me feel like I’m not hanging on enough.
Some sports bike have been fitted with quick shifters which temporarily cut the ignition when changing up and take the load off the gears. I wonder if they are the ones who don't use the clutch?

Provided you get it right then there shouldn't be any issues. The problems can start to build up when you don't. Get it wrong too many times and you will start to get issues.
I've only tried it changing up (and got it right...most times) and see no benefit when changing down.

You may well find that as you get used to the bike you will learn to brace yourself more with your legs so your arms are less loaded.
Alternatively, perhaps it is time to open your wallet and invest in a quick shifter?

Last edited:
Thanks for reply MaxMidnight.

Yes I can definitely change smoothly without clutch most times by pulling the lever up at the point the revs have equalised the gears but when it’s not right it’s a bit clunky. That’s the bit that concerns me.

Re quick shifter. Not going to go down that path. Actually love a proper shifter and to be fully engaged with the machine. So impressed at how such a big gear set can shift so smoothly and so reliably. Even finding neutral is easy and never missed a gear change yet. Yamahas engineering is phenomenal.

Back