torque spec for the rear shaft.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when we were at the brownie run, we tried it. they all felt the same from what i could gather.

I would think the same. Tightening it wont affect the settings.

i thought it was because the older style had a cotter pin to hold it where the new ones didn't so they watned a bit more on it just to make sure...

Yep, that would make sense just like a wheel nut on a car although the different torque values have no effect on the final drive setup on the Max, hence Yamaha can stipulate those 2 torque values .

Well, one thing is certain....the torque value on the older style castellated nut is only valid if the cotter key lines up perfectly with the nut and axle hole....if you have to back it off for these to align then the value goes out the window!

Would this suggest that the torque spec may not be all that critical? :confused2:

Well, one thing is certain....the torque value on the older style castellated nut is only valid if the cotter key lines up perfectly with the nut and axle hole....if you have to back it off for these to align then the value goes out the window!

Would this suggest that the torque spec may not be all that critical? :confused2:

good point. mine always lined right up!

I've had the rear off a few times, I re-torque to 45-55# and haven't had a lick of issues.

Another max I worked on, Damn near left flesh touching the pumpkin from his ride over to my house.

I reinstalled the rear tire and torqued to 50# then followed him home. It wasn't near as hot. To play devil's advocate, I have no idea how tight it was, I just used a breaker bar to loosen it. He used to have the stealer service it, until I told him that there was a few issues with the wiring (Ie the signal wires didn't match up, and the signals were on upside down.) So who knows how high the nut was torqued.

There are also 2 different shapes on the pumpkin if you look closely. When I bought my Otec axle nut I was asked what year my bike was because in 02 or something they changed the shape of the pumpkin where the axle nut tightens.

To be honest on the torque specs I don't think you can go wrong either way, I just noted a difference in pumpkin temp on my Max when I lowered the torque value to 45#. To each his own.

Back