Totally bummed out

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I'm a dumb ass, I forgot to do the test WOT. After doing it the
right way, the numbers are better.
Cyl1-180
Cyl2-170
Cyl3-180
Cyl4-165

Still a bit off on the front 2 cyl though. I would prefer they all be
at 180. Or at least close to each other.

You are within 10%....

Give it another 100 miles and recheck.

$0.02 deposited

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree those numbers are much better. Actually very good. As mentioned, put some more miles on
and recheck, the numbers may get even closer. You're getting places with what you're doing...

What jet kit did you put in? If it is the DynaJet Stage 1 kit that is probably a big part of your hp issue. If that is what you put in, yank it out, go back to a stock setup with 147.5 or 150 main jets and go from there. That DJ kit is a POS in my, and a lot of others', opinion. You will chase your tail with that kit and it will never work well.

The jet kit is from Sean, he's been helping me tune it. I'll get the numbers. but I set it up from the instructions on his site. I have the dyna 3000 set at the 3rd curve of timing advance. I used the 157.5 mains
177.5 PAJ2
#40 PAJ
drilled the slides
shorter springs
adj. needles

If it would quit raining for a day I would take it for a ride and put some miles on it.

The jet kit is from Sean, he's been helping me tune it. I'll get the numbers. but I set it up from the instructions on his site. I have the dyna 3000 set at the 3rd curve of timing advance. I used the 157.5 mains
177.5 PAJ2
#40 PAJ
drilled the slides
shorter springs
adj. needles

If it would quit raining for a day I would take it for a ride and put some miles on it.

Ok, you put a good kit in!! Sean is great to deal with and will definitely help you out!!!

stupid question for the group. there is a nipple on the bottom front of the air box, does any one know what this is for. I put a cap on mine. do you think that would cause excessive vacuum and pull oil into the bypass?

Adjusted the needles to right in the middle, 3rd slot, took the bike out for another 15 mile ride. Damn I love this bike. the sputter and dead spots are gone. It pulls from 2k to 9k.

Thanks to Sean for putting this kit together. I'm thinking I may take another dyno run. if i can figure out the smoking issue.

DIJ

That's one of the most overlooked things when doing a compression test...ground the plugs, choke off, and hold it wide open while cranking. As far as the hole in the bottom front of the air box, I believe its a water drain. Glad to hear the compression is good!
So, I'm a dumb ass, I forgot to do the test WOT. After doing it the
right way, the numbers are better.
Cyl1-180
Cyl2-170
Cyl3-180
Cyl4-165

Still a bit off on the front 2 cyl though. I would prefer they all be
at 180. Or at least close to each other.

its the one in the front. not the one where the crankcase tube attaches. it has a little foam filter in the air box. I pulled the foam and put a rubber cap on the nipple to stop air from being pulled in via this hole.

I guess my orignal question is a mute point, due to the GIANT air filter on top of the box letting air in. ie. there shouldn't be enough vacuum to pull oil in from the CCV. I do have a vac gauge on the bike and I'm pulling 10+ in the low rpms (2K) and 20-30+ in the higher rpms.

Not sure on your elevation but I'm around 800' above sea level and in 75 degree temp and up my bike is fat with 155's now it got down to the mid to low 60's the other day and it was better and a very noticeable HP increase but without changing jets for temp this is as good as I could get it. Needles are the same as yours but i have mine in the second slot from the blunt end with a shim that came in the kit. Drilled slides and springs just like yours too, paj jets are stock, I have a kerker with a comp baffle and dyna set on curve 4, seems to be a.good setup for me, hope you get it dialed in! :)

Ohhh forgot to add, don't sweat the dyno too much! They are all different and realistically its a meaningless number, take it to the track and calculate your HP from your mph cause that's the most accurate way....

Re: smoking issue

may i suggest changing your oil viscosity or brand my 85 used yamalube oil almost as much as it liked gas when i got it!!The dealer sold me a different grade than suggested in my manual likely it was the only stuff he had on hand .I use spectre oil now in the suggested viscosity from the manual ,my oil consumption has gone down to normal .hope this helps

Back