Touring on a Gen II Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGMO

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A guy told me last week that a feller on a Gen II rode from Wyoming to Florida for a rally. Thats a heck of a trip on any bike.
I had "heard" that the new Vmax wasnt great for touring. I was just wondering if any of you had taken long trips on your new Vmax and how it turned out.

Do you have to stop every 100 miles to get gas? Hows the suspension for touring? How about that seat, is it comfortable for any amount of miles?

What did you notice the best thing touring with it was and the worst thing?

Thanks guys. Just curious to hear it from people that actually own a new Gen II and have put some time on em.

If you just wanna give a report on the bike itself that would be great too. Im real curious as to if this Gen II Vmax is an around town bike only or if its possible to have a tourer out of one.

A guy told me last week that a feller on a Gen II rode from Wyoming to Florida for a rally. Thats a heck of a trip on any bike.
I had "heard" that the new Vmax wasnt great for touring. I was just wondering if any of you had taken long trips on your new Vmax and how it turned out.

Do you have to stop every 100 miles to get gas? Hows the suspension for touring? How about that seat, is it comfortable for any amount of miles?

What did you notice the best thing touring with it was and the worst thing?

Thanks guys. Just curious to hear it from people that actually own a new Gen II and have put some time on em.

If you just wanna give a report on the bike itself that would be great too. Im real curious as to if this Gen II Vmax is an around town bike only or if its possible to have a tourer out of one.

That was an amazing trip that he made! The new VMax like the old, can really be whatever you want it to be. The range though is it's biggest weakness. 100-120 miles is it's limit with the stock gas tank. I don't think I'd be happy touring and having to stop that often. There is a larger tank available (big $$$) and some have even added a reserve tank that neatly replaces the rear passenger seat.

As far as a report on the bike.....heres mine: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: !!!!!!
That's what I look like, everytime I ride it!

Mark

Darel's report on his cross country trip.. Was running the NASH-FLASH on the way home after Guru reflashed his ECU.

PeaDawg said:
Went out and checked the odometer this morning on the DAWG. She's curbed and resting...waiting some TLC rubbing and cleaning.

Roundtrip, with all the ups and downs of Daytona Beach and maybe a cople of "planned spontaneous reroutes-diversions" (never really got too lost), the DAWG went 5,112 miles from the DAWGarage in Cheyenne and back.
No accidents ( a minor scratch or two)......no tickets (amazing, considering I busted the top end on a ton of open stretches)...worried about an inpound of the Dawg, I only hit 162mph maximum...and there's more there.
:)
I was a tad anxious about 12 hour days...but now, after a 14 and a 16 hour day....I'm thinking (weather permitting) I can target 15 hours (6am to 9pm) days on my next excursion to Florida.
At least I have learned that California will be a skip and a hop away, if I can figure something out, west of the Rockies.
I wish I had a helmet cam...my next purchase for sure, because the sights the good lord presetned me on the road are indescribable..... still a lot of America to see out there, on the road.

----PeaDawg

Darel's report on his cross country trip.. Was running the NASH-FLASH on the way home after Guru reflashed his ECU.
Thanks for the report. I noticed there wasn't one mention of fuel stops. I'm guessing the many smiles in between stops make it all worthwhile! :punk:
One question about windshields, firstly about the factory touring model: How is it for wind protection?
Second Q: Is there another quick mount windshield that looks good that works better than the factory touring screen?
Last Q: Is the "reserve tank that neatly replaces the passenger seat" on the market?
TIA

I had the touring shield for awhile (mine was delivered with it), and also the Boulevard (tach/speedo bug guard). The touring shield was good, but there's a few out now that are better, like the Magic. I finally opted for a fly screen similar to the Gen1 from National Cycle & they also have a few that work similar to the Touring. The Touring is great protection tho.

That reserve tank and a few others have popped up lately, but don't know how readily available they are..

You can see the magic shield and Bob's home made reserve tank in this thread.. http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=14036 He also just added Radar detector & laser jammer :)

Here's the "Dawg" at Daytona headed for a tire change. Cheyenne Wyoming to Florida & back in 10 days.. Iron Butt Darel.. :biglaugh:

Attachments

• dawg.jpg
    dawg.jpg
    67.9 KB
Last edited:
The return trip & Darel's thoughts about it..

PeaDawg said:
Return trip map.

Just wanted to summarize my lessons learned (one reason for the ride was to get to know the VMAX)
The GEN II VMAX is defiinetly road worthy and capable of long distance, long hours, curves & twisties, highway racing (90 to 140+ in a heart beat), ticket avoidance (RED year only), weather endurance and crowd getter and all around holds its own with anything on the road.
CaptBob has perfected travel attachments; like the CORTECH bags (excellent bags), extra fuel cell, gel seat pads, kidney belt (a must for any distances) and sporty wind shield....he's got the best set up for highway gettin' :)
AND he's still damn fast! with an intimidating sound from those Akropovic cans on either side of that 240mm beast.

The GEN II:
I'd take this VMAX on a long trip over my Valkyrie or Gold Wing any time! nothing like hauling arse and kicking it when you arrive.

.......the ICING on the cake? This NASH-FLASH is awesome..... a must! worth every penny....feels like a GEN 2.5 :)
Thanks again, to everyone for all you've done....Best vacation in years...gonna sell my hunting gear...that season now belongs to the MAX!

-----PeaDawg

Attachments

• FLORIDADAWGROUTE.jpg
    FLORIDADAWGROUTE.jpg
    60.8 KB
Bad Max thanks alot for that. I hadnt seen that thread on Capt Bobs tour set up. That is really cool. I need to search this site more often. Noaw that was a haul for him! Very Cool story for us Vmax guys.

does anyone else think the gen 2 looks even more sinister with a shield on it

I like a fly screen. Minimalist approach & gives the rider a little something to tuck into. That's all i need. Forget cross country jaunts thru the rain.. :biglaugh: Lighter & more aerodynamic for me..

Back