Trouble in Paradise - Running like Carp

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK guys, I don't have much progress to report, but I definitely might have taken a step backward.

First, I'll just say that I'm not a mechanical idiot having restored a few British roadsters and good ole American muscle cars. I've also had more than a few bikes over the years - including a '68 Norton P11 and a '71 Triumph Bonneville - both of which required a ridiculous amount of care and feeding. So, I actually do know one end of a wrench from the other.

But.... I could still screw up a fart in church.

The carbs on my '94 have obviously never been touched as the mixture screw plugs were still in place. So, I figured they had to come out - especially if I wanted to Shotgun it. Well, three came out without a hitch. The fourth? I'm not sure. First, I believe I might have drilled into the top of the mixture screw itself. If it's brass, then I believe I did. But the "bottom" that I feel might be the head of the screw is probably 3/8" shallower than the other 3. If I can expect the top of the mixture screw to be in the same relative position on all 4 cylinders, then I go drill some more. If some are deeper than others, I believe I might have jacked this one up.

I'm suspicious enough that I ain't movin' another muscle until somebody tells me that you can expect every mixture screw head to be roughly at the same depth...

:confused2:

DM, yes the A/F screws will be roughly at the same depth, they may vary a turn or two in or out but the threads are very fine and we're only talking thousandths difference.

Take a look in with a strong light, maybe it's the plug that snuck in the hole? :confused2: They are brass also.

This forum evolves Dano!

First we've had CHAINS IN THE CARBS and they were giving additional 20HP.
No we have some CARP IN THE CARBS but I wonder how much more power we get!
:rofl_200:

What next? CRAB IN THE CARBS?

Well Przemek....on a scale of............nevermind, I can't do it anymore!! :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

I gotta stick a screwdriver about 3/4" into the carb body before it touches the mixture screw. So, unless you drill bit went in that far you should not be touching the screw. The brass plugs are very thin. Not much material there to drill out. I just used a really small bit then put a drywall screw in the hole I drilled and yanked the plugs out with a pair of linesman pliers

Hey guys, I just wanted to wrap this one up. Thanks to all the suggestions and warped sympathy.

Good news. Here's another satisfied SHOTGUN customer. After finally getting that last A/F screw plug out (what a bitch, long story), I could go through the procedure unhindered.

I did get one last scare as I tried running it with the airbox off - as in open carberators. Ran like carp. Guess it was simply too lean, but my initial impression was that I still had a problem. Ran rough as a cob. So, I buttoned everything back up and fired it up again and the danged thing was back into the raped ape category.

Had a nice confirmation, shakedown run.

Back in Paradise.

Just in time for a run with the guys on Sunday.

Thanks again!

/Darrell

That's great news! Glad everything worked out for ya.................Now go kick some azz!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back