Universal gear indicator light

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm wondering if this on the hawk would 'think' it shifted then in those false shifts.
Ya, if the hawk can get full movement of the shifter without changing a gear, then I would imagine it would indicate a shift on the readout. Unless there would be another possible place you could mount it so it wouldn't. It would probably be a trial and error deal Garrett. That's why I bought one, I figured for $27 bucks, if I couldn't make it work on the vmax, I would throw it on my quad or one of my other bikes!

Ya, if the hawk can get full movement of the shifter without changing a gear, then I would imagine it would indicate a shift on the readout. Unless there would be another possible place you could mount it so it wouldn't. It would probably be a trial and error deal Garrett. That's why I bought one, I figured for $27 bucks, if I couldn't make it work on the vmax, I would throw it on my quad or one of my other bikes!

yea older bikes i've ridden sometimes have that 'false' shift below 1st or above the top gear. not sure if its a full 'length' of a shift tho.

yea older bikes i've ridden sometimes have that 'false' shift below 1st or above the top gear. not sure if its a full 'length' of a shift tho.
If your in first & go to down shift again it dont change it reads 1 . One sensor is for down shifting the other is for up shifts. If you are in 5th & go to look for another gear it WILL show 6 on the light.(for bikes w/ 6 speeds ) Its a pretty simple design . Garret for $27.00 its worth getting & I'm sure you could sell it if it doesnt live up to your expectations. Give it a try .
The thing that may be a issue is the heat from the engine making the 2 sided tape soft & the sensors move. Then maybe will have to silicone them on . Time will tell & once I get to ride a while & test it I will do a follow up thread .

If your in first & go to down shift again it dont change it reads 1 . One sensor is for down shifting the other is for up shifts. If you are in 5th & go to look for another gear it WILL show 6 on the light.(for bikes w/ 6 speeds ) Its a pretty simple design . Garret for $27.00 its worth getting & I'm sure you could sell it if it doesnt live up to your expectations. Give it a try .
The thing that may be a issue is the heat from the engine making the 2 sided tape soft & the sensors move. Then maybe will have to silicone them on . Time will tell & once I get to ride a while & test it I will do a follow up thread .

i hear ya just thinking out loud. i'm gonna wait on your or bobs report

I got mine today .Took a while due to china being so far.These things have thin wires and not very long .I am not good with a soldering iron so it isnt going to be real easy for me.Do I soldr everything first ,then connect to the bike?.

Finally got around to installing it! My install went well, I had to mount mine a little different because when I installed my magnet under the linkage bolt, it would not clear the sensors! I ended up putting the magnet on the end of a bolt that I machined a slot in, then drilled and tapped the shift lever to mount it on. This worked well, and let me conceal all the wires behind the shifter support bracket that mounts to the engine case. I used the 3M 2 sided tape like the others did, and it seems to be a good choice. The system seems to work well even though at first it would only record up shifts, but after playing with the sensor with a magnetic screwdriver, I found that the bottom sensor's pickup worked better when mounted off to one side. We will see how long it lasts!

Attachments

• gauge1 006.jpg
    gauge1 006.jpg
    74.5 KB
  • phone pics 122.jpg
    phone pics 122.jpg
    78 KB
  • phone pics 126.jpg
    phone pics 126.jpg
    69 KB
I got mine today .Took a while due to china being so far.These things have thin wires and not very long .I am not good with a soldering iron so it isnt going to be real easy for me.Do I soldr everything first ,then connect to the bike?.
I would use heat-shrink style butt connectors. I had plenty of wire to do mine, in fact I actually cut an inch or two off.

Finally got around to installing it! My install went well, I had to mount mine a little different because when I installed my magnet under the linkage bolt, it would not clear the sensors! I ended up putting the magnet on the end of a bolt that I machined a slot in, then drilled and tapped the shift lever to mount it on. This worked well, and let me conceal all the wires behind the shifter support bracket that mounts to the engine case. I used the 3M 2 sided tape like the others did, and it seems to be a good choice. The system seems to work well even though at first it would only record up shifts, but after playing with the sensor with a magnetic screwdriver, I found that the bottom sensor's pickup worked better when mounted off to one side. We will see how long it lasts!

Looking great!

Back