Valve Noise

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ramalama: Fantastic video.... I listened to your video a number of times and even had my wife listen. She can sometimes pick out and separate sounds better than I can. I think it sounds like my 89. She thinks mine is louder.

I 've sync'd my carbs here and then checked them at CaptainKyle's with his gauges.. They're right on at both places... However, I do sync at 3,000 RPM and let the idle fall where it may. I have tightened the exhaust to eliminate that as a possible issue. Kyle has listened to the noise and we agree that it doesn't get louder with RPM.

My wife suggested you put the side of the bike that's noisiest a few feet from a closed garage door. That will amplify the sound and make it easier to isolate. My 89 is noisiest on the right side... I'll do a video and we can compare.... I have to work on my truck first. Neglect has taken it down... We're down to one cage...:rofl_200:But the bikes run pretty good.

I will at some point dig into the valve adjustment and see if that's a possibility. I have already run compression checks and the cylinders are very even. There is nothing more than normal leak down too... If we're talking about the same sound, it's a knocking sound, deep in tone.

Maybe we can help each other by doing whatever and keeping informed of each others results...

Dave / SpecOps13

Note that as the engine/heads/valves wear the clearance is reduced so they don't get noisier as they wear. This is opposite of what many experience with their old cars.

Sean

Note that as the engine/heads/valves wear the clearance is reduced so they don't get noisier as they wear. This is opposite of what many experience with their old cars.

Sean

I've always heard that the valves tend to tighten up but I am still trying to wrap my head around that whole concept. The bike has 15k on it so I'm not going to mess with the valves until 26k or whatever it is but I do have plans to take it and have the carb tuning checked out and adjusted if necessary since I really don't know what state they are in since I just bought it.

Here's my videos... If you have a Sub Woofer these videos sound pretty close to the real thing.... Mines a Yamaha too....:rofl_200:

1st, Cold engine , slightly over normal idle 1300 RPM, on partial choke.
2nd, Starting to warm up, choke off, idle slightly low. 900 RPM or so.
3rd, engine warm to near operating temperature. my normal idle 1050-1100 RPM.

The close ups show how badly I need to paint this engine.. It's coming....

Hope these are of help...
Dave

PS: For anyone new to the videos, let them stutter through the first time, then replay if you have enough Ram Memory, they will play
much smoother the second time through

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLXOSlCElYA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETH2lszpSnQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zOXyUaSLWc

Before I go too far, this is my first post here so.....Hello to everyone. Hopefully I am posting this in the correct thread, if not, just let me know. I picked up a 93 Vmax with 15k miles on it about a month ago. I have noticed that there is a bit of valve noise. It's not very loud but it is just a very light ticking at idle. I'm not sure if this is anything to be concerned about because I'm not very familiar with these bikes yet so I thought I would get some opinions from those who know more than me. So far all I have been able to turn up with research is that these engines tend to be a bit noisy so I'm assuming that is in reference to the valve train.

Thanks in advance.
i " WELCOME " ! .. MY " 2006 " WITH 8,900 MILES ON IT IS LOUDER THEN YOURS , I WOULDN'T WORRY ABOUT ANYTHING ! .. :punk:

Here's my videos... If you have a Sub Woofer these videos sound pretty close to the real thing.... Mines a Yamaha too....:rofl_200:

1st, Cold engine , slightly over normal idle 1300 RPM, on partial choke.
2nd, Starting to warm up, choke off, idle slightly low. 900 RPM or so.
3rd, engine warm to near operating temperature. my normal idle 1050-1100 RPM.

The close ups show how badly I need to paint this engine.. It's coming....

Hope these are of help...
Dave

PS: For anyone new to the videos, let them stutter through the first time, then replay if you have enough Ram Memory, they will play
much smoother the second time through

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLXOSlCElYA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETH2lszpSnQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zOXyUaSLWc
" specOps13 " , THANKS FOR POSTING THOSE VIDEOS ! .. MY " 2006 " WITH 8,900 MILES ON IT SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE YOURS ! .. EVEN DOWN TO THE SLIGHT TAP/KNOCK NEAR THE LEFT SIDE OF THE ENGINE , THEY ARE JUST VERY NOISY DINOSAURS , THAT LOVE TO BE WOKEN UP ! .. :punk:

Thanks COP RUNNER. It runs fine at nearly 33,000 Miles. Fact, I think it's faster than my 94. Almost caught up with my buddy's R1 in second. Then he shifted and left me in what felt like "Prop Wash". It does great 2nd gear burn outs from about 10 mph too...:rofl_200:

But, it's noisier than my 94 by quite a bit...

The valve move closer to the cam as it wears the seat in. So, the bucket moves closer which reduces clearance between it and the cam.

Sean

The valve move closer to the cam as it wears the seat in. So, the bucket moves closer which reduces clearance between it and the cam.

Sean

Oh ok. That actually makes perfect sense. Thanks for the insight.

I noticed after doing a carb sync mine got a little smoother/quieter at idle. Not like a night and day difference, but noticeable.

Otherwise....they're kind of noisy motors. Nature of the beast.

Thanks COP RUNNER. It runs fine at nearly 33,000 Miles. Fact, I think it's faster than my 94. Almost caught up with my buddy's R1 in second. Then he shifted and left me in what felt like "Prop Wash". It does great 2nd gear burn outs from about 10 mph too...:rofl_200:

But, it's noisier than my 94 by quite a bit...
i I DID A GREAT 2ND GEAR BURN-OUT , UP DANNY'S DRIVEWAY , AT " BROWNIE RUN 2010 " ASK ANYBODY ! .. :biglaugh: . :biglaugh: . :biglaugh: . :punk: . :punk: . :rofl_200:

COP RUNNER, I've heard about that Burn Out from a number of people.....It must have been Insane........:rofl_200: It serves to build on your Legend....:biglaugh:

SpecOps13, nice videos. It's always nice to be able to compare with other people. I think we are hearing the same noise. Yours seems to be a bit more obvious than mine but its also possible that mine is just harder to hear along with the noise of the carbs. Also my camera is a piece of junk so that may factor into it too. I need to get a real video camera rather than using my old camera on its video setting.

Ramalama: I had mine running within 3 feet of a closed garage door in hopes that it would amplify the noise and make it easier to hear.

I did the videos with a Kodak Z915 Camera that also does 640 X480 video. It does very well with sound too as long as your computer speakers include a sub woofer for the full effect....

I've been looking for a worthy pocket camcorder and found it today. It's a Kodak ZI 10. Found it at Wally 's World... $159.95.. Battery's still on charge... Hope it lives up to my expectations....

COP RUNNER, I've heard about that Burn Out from a number of people.....It must have been Insane........:rofl_200: It serves to build on your Legend....:biglaugh:
i I DON'T NO ABOUT THAT LEGEND STUFF , BUT I WISH I HAD IT ON TAPE , THE VIOLENT TANK SLAPPER WAS INSANE , I CAN TELL YOU THAT , I WISH I HAD IT ON VIDEO , BECAUSE I WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT ! .. AS A MATTER OF FACT , I WOULD OF RATHER SEEN IT , THEN DONE IT ! .. :rofl_200: . :rofl_200: . :rofl_200: . :rofl_200:. PS , I REALLY AM RELIEVED THAT MY ENGINE SOUNDS EXACTLY THE SAME AS YOURS ! .. AND I MEAN " EXACTLY " ! .. :punk:

i I DON'T NO ABOUT THAT LEGEND STUFF , BUT I WISH I HAD IT ON TAPE , THE VIOLENT TANK SLAPPER WAS INSANE , I CAN TELL YOU THAT , I WISH I HAD IT ON VIDEO , BECAUSE I WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT ! .. AS A MATTER OF FACT , I WOULD OF RATHER SEEN IT , THEN DONE IT ! .. :rofl_200: . :rofl_200: . :rofl_200: . :rofl_200:. PS , I REALLY AM RELIEVED THAT MY ENGINE SOUNDS EXACTLY THE SAME AS YOURS ! .. AND I MEAN " EXACTLY " ! .. :punk:

Trust me Tim it was just as scary jumping the fuck out of the way with you grabbing second going 50 MPH sideways with your carb chains just a flyin:punk:. Glad to be alive and we were just trying to figure out what tree to get behind, well done, The legend lives:biglaugh:

Trust me Tim it was just as scary jumping the fuck out of the way with you grabbing second going 50 MPH sideways with your carb chains just a flyin:punk:. Glad to be alive and we were just trying to figure out what tree to get behind, well done, The legend lives:biglaugh:
i I'M JUST GLAD THERE WERE SO MANY WITNESSES , USUALLY THERES JUST ME AND MIKE , AND NO ONE BELIEVES US ! .. BUT YOU GUY'S BELIEVE US NOW , RIGHT ? . :biglaugh: :rofl_200: :biglaugh: :rofl_200: :biglaugh: .:punk: PS. CHRIS YOUR PM. BOX IS FULL !

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: Tim, You'll fit right in down here. :rofl_200: We're all Nuts... It's that Damn Florida Sun....

Latest posts

Back