Vibro hands...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJShover

Proud Vmax lover
Reaction score
over the weekend I put on solid motor mounts. Now my hands bloody hell go numb within 30 min of riding. What kind of grips are you all using?

Kuryakyn Iso Grips are the SHIT! I love mine, and am getting a different set of 'em just to change the look of the bike.

Kuryakyn Iso Grips are the SHIT! I love mine, and am getting a different set of 'em just to change the look of the bike.

I just wish they weren't chrome!:bang head:

I have the stockers but have a throttlemiester and drag bars which allows me to remove pressure from the grips. Make sure you're not death gripping too.

Your best bet is to get a bar snake, or fill the bars with lead. The bar snake gets my nod!

Chris

I've used lead shot, bar end weights and gel grips on bikes with vibrating bars. Works great. My Max just has gel grips and bar end weights as it really doesn't vibrate. The weights just look better than the chrome plastic ends to me and are mostly cosmetic. Big bore in-line fours usually have some serious vibrations at various rpms. I have all three items on my 1200 Bandit and have no vibration problems on up to 800 mile days.

I had the same issue when I was using SCOTT MX grips, I loved them grips they had awesome grip to em.
I also had numb fingers after riding all day.
I replaced the grips last month with some GEL jetski grips which are super soft and have an excellent grip to em.
The biggest issue I had with grips were hands sweating when its in the dead heat of summer here.

I am also riding with some riding gloves now and that has helped with the vibaration and also I have a better grip on the grips.

I've got solid motor mounts and experienced the same thing - but bar snake, bar ends with gel grips and a throttlemiester worked for me.

Mike

How about a little help for the Idaho guy. My Clymer manual says that the throttle side grip is part of the throttle assembly and can't be removed. That seems like crap to me. I would love to put some ISO Grips on it. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I put ISO grips on mine, I just twisted opposite direction of the throttle to pop the old ISO grips off. If you've got stocker grips you can cut 'em off so I hear. On install, I didn't use glue on the throttle slide, just used electrical tape and made a barber shop pole like run of the tape around the throttle tube, it was a TIGHT fit. On the left side the "Death Grip" glue that comes with the Kuryakyn grips works awesome.

over the weekend I put on solid motor mounts. Now my hands bloody hell go numb within 30 min of riding. What kind of grips are you all using?

I run solid mounts. I can't remember what brand grips I used but I can share this with you.

If you are going to a grip that offers better vibration absorbency you may want to consider a bigger diameter grip as well.

I found a soft synthetic rubber grip that has a circular radius of 38mm which is somewhere between a sport bike grip and a Harley grip.

These got rid of the annoying vibration through the bars but left enough to feel the heartbeat of the bike. The also give a more substantial feel to the grip and allow my hand effort on the grip to relax a bit. That stopped my hands getting sore on longer rides. The grips feel huge at first but you very quickly adapt to them.

My previous grips where 32mm and my hands had to be tightly clenched to surround the grip. That is because a tightly clenched grip restricts blood flow to the muscles in your hand so the muscles get oxygen deprived and sore.

You can prove this to yourself. Hold your throttle hand outstretched and note what colour the flesh is. Now clench your fist for 60 seconds and release it. Note the colour. It’s much paler. Contracting muscles forces blood out of the tissue and is the reason hands fatigue.

Just remember to check the inside diameter of the clutch and throttle grips if you go this way. You may have to pad them up with rubber tube inserts as I had to do on the clutch side grip.

Here's pics of the love handles.

Attachments

• left.jpg
    left.jpg
    267.3 KB
  • right.jpg
    right.jpg
    281.5 KB
Gleno, how did you remove the throttle side stock "lip" that the stock plastic chrome spacer covers? The grips I have were shorter like the stockers so I just put the inner chrome spacer back on. The Pro Grips are rubber-like material somewhat like the stockers but softer(gripier?). I had sore hands the first month or so until I re-learned to not have a death grip on the handlebar, especially the throttle. Now my hands don't get sore unless it's below 40 degrees, but that's another problem.
I was trying to keep up with my brother on his FZ1 in the corners :)rofl_200:) and was wrestling this beast around the corners. I quickly learned that I was trying to ride a stock bike outside it's realm of comfort, at least for me. The corners that I was trying to push 85-90 thru I ended up going 70-75 and it was much easier. I have installed lowering fork springs and soon I'll will get new, 1' shorter rear shocks so I should be able to pick some speed back up.

The inner grip was not required. When the rubber grips were put on they left a surplus exposure of the plastic tube assembly of the throttle twist grip. This surplus is hidden because it fits into an internal sleeve in the billet bar ends. So does the end of the bar. Hope this makes sense.

Attachments

• P1030733.jpg
    P1030733.jpg
    95.3 KB
  • P1030734.jpg
    P1030734.jpg
    67.9 KB
Last edited:
I have the same type bar ends, but what I was thinking of was the portion of the grip that is next to the throttle housing. On the stock grip there are plastic chrome covers that go over the throttle tube. I think the rubber portion of the grip goes over this too. If the grip and plastic chrome were removed there would be a raised portion (lip, for lack of better word) that is part of the throttle tube. No big deal, I was just curious how you got your grip to ride up against the throttle/ start button/ fuel res. housing is all.

If any of you guys figure out a way to transfer the bar vibes to the passenger seat, let me know. Might make it easier to get the wife to ride with me.

Thanks in advance. :biglaugh:

Being diabetic I have lots of trouble with my hands :( On my Vulcan I had ISO grips with a bar snake and it took care of the vibration. On the max I have 1lb (per side) bar end weights from Manic Salamander (http://www.manicsalamander.com/bar_end_weight_hollow_dragonfly.htm) and they have not only taken care of the vibration, but also the low speed (around 40mph) bar shake (or wobble, or whatever it's called), as well as making the bike feel more secure at higher speeds as well. The only problem with using bar end weights is that I can't use the ISO grips, which I find are some of the most comfortable grips made. I even have a pair on my 1977 Vespa!, and I also had them on my Honda Big Ruckus scooter that I traded in to get my Max!

I was looking for a pair of foam grips for the Max (my second and much cheaper choice of grips), but couldn't find any that were long enough, so I ended up with some much thinner rubber grips for the time being. (When I put the weights on with the stock grips it looked wrong as there was a 1/2" space between where the grips ended and the weights began (where the chrome end caps fit).

-MikeS

I have the same type bar ends, but what I was thinking of was the portion of the grip that is next to the throttle housing. On the stock grip there are plastic chrome covers that go over the throttle tube. I think the rubber portion of the grip goes over this too. If the grip and plastic chrome were removed there would be a raised portion (lip, for lack of better word) that is part of the throttle tube. No big deal, I was just curious how you got your grip to ride up against the throttle/ start button/ fuel res. housing is all.

My tubes don't have a lip. Just checked. Just straight tube. Could be an after-market assembly put on by previous owner?

Latest posts

Back