Vmax wants to crash ya when turning

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It also the bars will shake when you let off the gas when slowing down from higher speeds.

The head bearings are shot. Almost guarentee it. That statement, and the fact that its an 85 or 86 sealed the deal for my prognosis.

The head bearings are shot. Almost guarentee it. That statement, and the fact that its an 85 or 86 sealed the deal for my prognosis.

I have an '86 and mine were totally shot, so I'll concur with Heretic here.

Make sure to buy OEM bearings not aftermarket ones - I made that mistake and learned the hard way..

You can get a great price from Gary McCoy at Mondak Motorsports by mentioning you're a vmaxforum member :)

are the 93 and up alot different?

LOL... guess we covered everything. In 93 Yamaha changed the fork tubes from a 40mm to a 43mm diameter. Probably in an effort to get rid of the famous 100 mile an hour head shake. They also upgraded the brakes and electrical components. Early on in the thread you mentioned you had jacked the bike up and checked the triple tree movement. Usually you can feel the bearing looseness if their that bad, but they could bad as well given the age of the bike.

Not seeing the problem makes it hard to diagnose. I would go ahead and do the checks described.

If your friend has the cash (doubtful in todays economy)... like I said it wouldn't be a bad time to upgrade to the later model stuff. If he looks around he can find a whole setup for under $500, I've seen them with the wheel. Here's a set on ebay right now without the cross brace. Front End ... Never had a problem with Pinwall. Good luck with your fix.

Survey says....

Head bearings.jpg

It's difficult to see in the pinwall ebay pics but it looks like the forks were in a frontal crash. The steering stop looks like it's partially broken off. In itself that isn't a big deal and NOT necessarily an indicator of bent forks. They stop can be welded back up too. Not a bad price at all. I do have one chrome newer triple set I would sell as well. Got some shelf wear so I would even do a better price on it. I do have the complete front fork set with racetec and emulators already installed too.

Sean

If I were to replace forks on a '92 or newer I would buy some newer larger diameter forks and change out the brakes as well.

I'd almost bet that Sean could help you out there in all respects.

Chris

Furbur works 'such a simple fix ' I was telling this guy in sturgis about the furbur fix and he says my name is john furbur ! small world wow and he had a v-max with a blower on it and a 300 tire .

Latest posts

Back