Well...that was pretty disappointing!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good on ya Danny! I wonder if there isn't a .001th tweek in Sallymax that makes it not like the Shinko...but at this point with the lasertec working well with a couple normal tweeks to go I would call it good. :thumbs up:

Thanks Brian.:worthy: That's my take on it too, if I can't get rid of this 45 mph thing it's still light years from where it was....also, this is at the factory torque rec of 26.5 in. lb. on the head bearings, so a light adjust on the castle nuts would definitely eliminate it completely.

Installed the new wheel bearings from All Balls last night and took it for a short ride today.

The 45 mph de-cel wobble is still there, but not every time, sometimes there is no wobble at 45, and sometimes there is. Really, it's more of a shiver than a real wobble, and goes away by itself quickly.

If I set the throttle at 60, and whack one handgrip with the heel of my hand it will wobble a couple times and self correct.

So this bike, which seems prone to wobbles, does not like the Shinko front tire and reacted very favorably to the Metzler Lasertec which made the biggest difference IMO.

Steering head bearings and front wheel bearings had very little effect.

I'm going to drive it and see how it reacts over time to the oem recommended 24 1/2 inch pounds of torque on the head bearings.

hey danny my max also has a decel wobble around 45 mph and as far as i know has never been in a wreck. i think someone told my my steering head bearing was loose. take one hand off the bar around 45... and if u dont grip it in 3 or 4 seconds youll be in a full blown tank slapper

hey danny my max also has a decel wobble around 45 mph and as far as i know has never been in a wreck. i think someone told my my steering head bearing was loose. take one hand off the bar around 45... and if u dont grip it in 3 or 4 seconds youll be in a full blown tank slapper

FWIW, danny, the day I brought my new '07 home from the dealer it had the 45 mph decel wobble. Completely stock, new tires, new bearings. Heck, if I took one hand off the bars to wave at someone going by in the 45 mph range, it would wobble.

OTOH, my '02...I have repeatedly tested it for wobble, and only got it to do it once on a 45 mph decel. But, after replacing the 8-year old tires with ME880s, that went away.

Good luck with getting yours solved. It's like gremlins, man. Chasing a shadow or something.

That's what mine was doing also mattness...but much worse, bridge seams, changes in road surface elevation would transmit a wobble back to the bars....it was getting bad, fast! The Metz Lasertec eliminated nearly all the issue.

In your case I would agree with Ksnick....try the 'bounce test' it should take care of it. If, after doing this, you have a weave or difficulty holding the bike in a straight line at highway speed the bearings are too tight, back them off until it tracks straight.

If it starts to wobble again it's prolly time to replace the head bearings.

FWIW, danny, the day I brought my new '07 home from the dealer it had the 45 mph decel wobble. Completely stock, new tires, new bearings. Heck, if I took one hand off the bars to wave at someone going by in the 45 mph range, it would wobble.

OTOH, my '02...I have repeatedly tested it for wobble, and only got it to do it once on a 45 mph decel. But, after replacing the 8-year old tires with ME880s, that went away.

Good luck with getting yours solved. It's like gremlins, man. Chasing a shadow or something.

Yeah, I remember your '07 Tom, and have thought about that bike from time to time...pretty odd deal but I've wondered if they screwed up the initial 'seating torque' ?

I agree, it's like grabbing a handful of smoke!! But, I am pleased with the way the '06 handles now, lots of times it won't wobble at 45 at all or, when it does it's very slight and goes away quickly.

The Shinko front tire was causing the issues with it, no doubt about it. But, Shinko's won't cause issues everytime!! My '99 has the identical Shinko's as Sallymax and there is never a hint of a wobble at any speed, handles like it's on rails!

For now I'm going to leave the head bearings torqued at 24.5 in. #'s (even though it is WAY loose according to the bounce test!) and see how she does over the summer.

More than anything, I'm really curious to see how long that light torque holds up...I would expect maybe a couple tankfulls of gas but, who knows? :confused2: It certainly is nice to drive now, quick to respond, etc.

Conclusions??? Not really, it seems bike specific....the '06 hated the Shinko front tire...the '99 has no problem with them. Steering head bearings and front wheel axle bearings had very little, if any, effect on the wobble, the big change came from replacing the Shinko with a Metz Lasertec of oem dimensions.

Hi-speed wobble....no testing has been done on this issue, nor will there ever be any!! It handles well up to 110, that's prolly as fast as I'll ever go with it....faster actually!! :biglaugh:

all good info dan, for sure since i dont like the avons, im gonna take them off, check bearings in rime incase those are bad, rebuild front forks and go from there. want to check bearing head races incase they are warn or starting to wear. referring to that other post i also have symptom 1, that clicking sound, kinda what i tried to discribe, its on both bike and both bikes, once and only once did they actually shake the handle bars otherwise its just a unsettleing feeling on almost wobble at speed in a turn(leaned over a little) and hitting bumps or dips in the road surface.

Back