What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my rotors. Tires are on order. Now, I am just waiting for my black Carrozzerias to get delivered. Sean had to send them back to the factory to be anodized. It might be a while....I can take it....I can take it....I can take it....ahhhhhhhhh. If I get one ride before the snow flies, I'll be happy.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442855535.815550.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rebuilt front brake master cylinder, clutch master and slave cylinders, replaced crankcase cover gaskets 1 &2, re-jetted pilot circuit on VGAS Keihin carbs from #55 to #50. Dialed it in as close as my 62 year old ears will allow and took test ride.
The Harley guys all stopped and took off their dew rags as I smoked by.

Sitting at the park watching my 11 yr old son at soccer practice. We rode the bike in. This was only his 2nd time on it. He didn't want to go on it but I dropped the truck in for repair this afternoon and my wife had to take her mom to the hospital (hoping all is good there).

The boy had a look of serious concern as we suited up. I believe he was holding back tears at one point. We took it easy, no more than 5 mph over the speed limit.

When we pulled into practice he jumped off, took his helmet off and had a huge smile on his face as he said hi to all his friends making sure they saw him at the bike.

Temps are dropping pretty quick. Gonna be a cool ride home tonight.

Started polishing my wheels...it's going to be a long and agonizing winter of polishing.

Again, wash, wax, a littlevwheel polish, handle bar oil pres gage was spitting glycerin so I threw out the rubber stopper and put on some metal tape
Rode to work daily, took the long way home and spooled up about a hundred miles on georgia back roads

Man I am glad I bought this thing

Went in a nice 100 mile ride with a buddy of mine. He is on a Honda Superhawk 996. The weather was perfect, the roads were nice and fast. Nice time of the year to ride....

Put on my rotor.... Caliper is off center, so I gotta go find a couple washers tomorrow. Hopefully this will get it done.

Installed my new speed limiter, thanks for the tip Miles!

DSC_0468.JPG

Rode it to work and had some stink at idle at the stop light. I got it home today and bigger than snot, a crack in the aft exhaust down pipe blowing exhaust gas on the battery box, could not see it but could feel it. No melting just carbon from exhaust.

Am thinking on ordering the voodoo exhaust four into two to replace the four to one.
Appears to be the most economical way to go at 629 dollars plus shipping, and all stainless.
Anyone got any comments????? I am open for any news on exhausts.
I just hate to put a wrench on a bike that old, it has been a lot of fun the last four months but time to do some work. Kerker stainless steel muffler outlasted the headers. And I am hooked on riding this thing. I bet both my car batteries are dead from lack of use.

Whaddya-got, a Kerker full 4/1? Strip-off that exhaust and check for any other cracks, and get them welded-up and re-install the system. Use new gaskets in the exhaust ports. Ride, ride. Keep your $$ in your pocket. For me, the Kerker sounds the best, and is a great performer power-wise, when properly dialed-in, but all 4/1's are balanced towards high-RPM output, that's just the design consideration. A 4-2 full aftermarket may give you more torque in the rev range you customarily ride in, 3-6K RPM.

Rode it to work and had some stink at idle at the stop light. I got it home today and bigger than snot, a crack in the aft exhaust down pipe blowing exhaust gas on the battery box, could not see it but could feel it. No melting just carbon from exhaust.

Am thinking on ordering the voodoo exhaust four into two to replace the four to one.
Appears to be the most economical way to go at 629 dollars plus shipping, and all stainless.
Anyone got any comments????? I am open for any news on exhausts.
I just hate to put a wrench on a bike that old, it has been a lot of fun the last four months but time to do some work. Kerker stainless steel muffler outlasted the headers. And I am hooked on riding this thing. I bet both my car batteries are dead from lack of use.

yes a four into one, it still runs rich, I may do that, but those stainless steel exhausts will look pretty good. it should lean up a little if I go to four to two (i think). the kerker muffler is stainless, but the down pipes on the aft cylinders are rotted out at the area where they were belled out, i was flaking off pieces with my fingernail but could not see it, I could also feel small holes in the metal. now the rest of the pipe does not look like that. ifn I can get some pipe that diameter I may be able to stretch it and replalce the rotted piece. the other portion of the inside on the left side may be the same way. the carbon on the battery box was a dead give away. it goes so fast, it keeps the exhaust cool except at an idle

yes a four into one, it still runs rich, I may do that, but those stainless steel exhausts will look pretty good. it should lean up a little if I go to four to two (i think).

Not really. The best way to get you straight is to just change your mains, especially if you have a stock airbox. Stock box + Big pipes = rich, due to the way our carbs work (at least the way I understand it).

I'd do what Fire-Medic said and fix the crack in the Kerker.

Not really. The best way to get you straight is to just change your mains, especially if you have a stock airbox. Stock box + Big pipes = rich, due to the way our carbs work (at least the way I understand it).

I'd do what Fire-Medic said and fix the crack in the Kerker.
Yep.....the mains need to be dropped to 150's.....or even 147.5's....

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Treated the max to a new set of tyres

110 80 18 up front, 180 55 17 on the rear

Back on my favourite rubber, Bridgestone.

Attachments

• IMG_4786.jpg
    IMG_4786.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8334.JPG
    IMG_8334.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 23
What width is the rear wheel? Do you know how to measure offset by laying a flat stock across the rim edge from one side to the other (probably cannot be done w/the wheel on the bike), and then measuring the distance from that flat to the inner hub on each side? Then measure the thickness of the hub. I'd be interested to know what your offset is, and how far from your swingarm to the rim at its closest point. Do you have a widened swingarm?

Treated the max to a new set of tyres

110 80 18 up front, 180 55 17 on the rear

Back on my favourite rubber, Bridgestone.

Here's what I did recently, a bench rebuild of a complete front brake system. Actually, the system had coagulated orange snot in it, almost like a paste, at the caliper banjos at the splitter block. The fluid in the calipers was still intact, and while dirty, it was still transparent, not opaque.

I removed all the hoses, flushed them, blew them out, wire-wheeled the banjo bolts and also flushed them, & blew them out. The pads look almost new, they have a deep wear indicator groove yet.

I cleaned the calipers w/brake cleaner, pads and pistons too, and used a square screwdriver & a crescent wrench to retract the pistons.

With the caliper hoses & brake bleeder nipples off, I filled the calipers at the hose connections until I saw the brake fluid in the bleeder holes. Then I re-installed the hoses & nipples. I had already previously cleaned the master cylinder. Now it was time to connect the master cyl hose to the brake splitter block, and the upper caliper hose banjo bolts to the splitter.

Next I broke-out the 60 ml syringe and 6" of clear plastic hose, and hose-clamped the hose to the caliper bleeder. Filling the syringe w/~20 ml of brake fluid, I opened the bleeder and I reverse-flushed the fluid towards the brake master cyl. Quickly I saw fluid in the reservoir. I shut the bleeder nipple and fanned the brake lever w/the master cyl immobile in the vise. Immediately the lever was getting firm. I repeated the same thing for the other caliper (both calipers were on a loose rotor I hadn't discarded), and now I had a good lever, and a well-bled system.

The first step in getting a tired old bike back on the road. A heart donor already contributed its engine (thanks to a Captain Morgan lovin' member), yet to be installed. It's got a long ways to go, but one less job after today. The first thing I did was to ditch the z-bars for a stock set.

Then, the Elephant Burial Ground (last pic).

Attachments

• VMax front brakes bench rebuild.jpg
    VMax front brakes bench rebuild.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 1993 VMax-trailer.JPG
    1993 VMax-trailer.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Two.jpg
    Two.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 12
Back