What does it take to add nitrous?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dingy

Reaction score
What would it take to add nitrous to my Venture/Max?

Rough cost for an 'economy' version.

Do ports have to go into the intake manifolds or can they go in air box right over intake holes?

I have a 1300 motor with complete VMax top end including Vboost & air box with K&N filter. VMax size carb jetting. Block has been milled .040". VMax rear end & wheels.

I have an Ignitech TCI that is N2O enabled. It has variable retard timing functions built in when N2O is engaged. Racer 3 is model, new & unused.

Do I need a second fuel pump to pressurize system?

Not looking for an extreme HP gain, but something somewhat respectable.

Gary

IMG_0099.jpg

Re: What does it take to add nitous?

You will need a second fuel pump for the wet system. Basically:

4 injectors
1 Fuel solenoid with pre filter
1 NOX solenoid
1 NOX tank
hoses
1 fuel pump
lines and fittings

See below general setup

nitrosetup.jpg

Won't you also need a fuel pressure regulator?.............................Tom.

What would it take to add nitrous to my Venture/Max?

Rough cost for an 'economy' version.

Do ports have to go into the intake manifolds or can they go in air box right over intake holes?

I have a 1300 motor with complete VMax top end including Vboost & air box with K&N filter. VMax size carb jetting. Block has been milled .040". VMax rear end & wheels.

I have an Ignitech TCI that is N2O enabled. It has variable retard timing functions built in when N2O is engaged. Racer 3 is model, new & unused.

Do I need a second fuel pump to pressurize system?

Not looking for an extreme HP gain, but something somewhat respectable.

Gary

IMG_0099.jpg

A nitrous kit will probly run in the neighborhood of $1K by the time you are done.

I would put the nozzles into the manifolds....there are adapters for this. Second pic shows this, clearer if you can enlarge it.

An auxillary fuel pump comes in the kit. This is pretty much what you'll be hooking up, the aux. fuel pump is on the left, I turned the rear brake reservoir around and mounted it in that space.

A selection of jets come in the kit, you can pick the size shot you want.

Attachments

• 100_2077.jpg
    100_2077.jpg
    117.5 KB
  • 100_2075.jpg
    100_2075.jpg
    155.7 KB

what you will also need for sure is more nos, once injected into your motor, it will at the same time get into your vanes and is way more addictive then crack and/ or cocaine:rofl_200: and for sure in the good way, ask bill and dan how directly proportionate the smile to nos factor is while riding :punk::punk:

I do have an account we are setting up with NX Express at some point. Still looking at $900-$1000 though.

Sean

What is a safe size shot for a stock engine? Does the ignition have to be retarded with a small shot?
It looks like the most gain for the buck, even short term.
Thanks,
Steve

What is a safe size shot for a stock engine? Does the ignition have to be retarded with a small shot?
It looks like the most gain for the buck, even short term.
Thanks,
Steve

I used a 9hp/cyl. shot or 36hp overall....it's a small shot that shouldn't hurt anything. I didn't do anything with the timing Steve. Yer looking to beat up on your brother ain't ya!!! :rofl_200:

Here is a shot of an install on a 1500 cc motor done by Under Pressure in Dania Beach FL. I have posted other stuff Steve has done including some video clips. Do a search for Under Pressure if you want to see his stuff at the drag strip, or you can find it on youtube too, but try this site search first, it will take you to youtube. Steve is the guy at the starting line at the strip where the rider is staging, checking the bike one last time, and talking to the rider. Watch for the NOS purge, "pffftt!"

Steve is in the UK right now for the holidays & won't be back until sometime during the 1st week of Jan. Here's his address:

Under Pressure

2144 SW 38th St

Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312

(954) 792-0442

Attachments

• NOS VMax.jpg
    NOS VMax.jpg
    118.5 KB

Nice looking install....looks like the faux will fit right back on.

Wonder what the third (center) solenoid is for....looks like he's running fuel thru it even tho it's color coded nitrous (blue). :confused2:

Looks like the purge solenoid...........................Tom.

One2day mentioned the nx kit which is awsome! Its got a great fuel pump that is set around 6 psi, most other kits are 3.5 to 4 fuel pressure the nx pump is much better. Make sure u get a rpm controller that has 2 setting to keep nos off at low rpm and high rpm ( missed gear while on it). Most guys run low fuel pressure safety which is a waste of mone i think. 99% of the time when you fail on fuel is because of the solenoid not the pump. Get a fuel pressur gage in view so when you engage nos before u hit it you confirm pump operation. Set it up on a dyno with a wide band 02 sensor documenting you nos pressure (yes get nos gauge) during dyno try to get pressure at 900 psi. i WOULD NOT RUN NOS ON CAST PISTONS, need forged and stainless steel vavles. The max motor head desighn loves nos! It has a tendency to burn rich and thats what you want. It turns in a monster on the nos. I have racked over 5k mile on a motor and when we went in motor to correct a oil leak it was perfect but mine is also set up right. 12 1300 dollars do it 1500 if u want new wideband 02 safteys available.:punk:

I used a 9hp/cyl. shot or 36hp overall....it's a small shot that shouldn't hurt anything. I didn't do anything with the timing Steve. Yer looking to beat up on your brother ain't ya!!! :rofl_200:
Yea Dann-o, it never gets old, for me that is.
biglaugh.gif
I already torch him on a roll on, I see his k1200s starting to real me in
up past 100mph. With Nos and the Sneaky-Pete bottle? He'll either buy a Max or SR1000 (then I'm screwed). The Stealer told my brother he'd smoke a Vmax hands down and have all the power he ever needs. That salesman must hate me, because they both underestimated the power of the Max in our power band. I love that little Bro of mine. But, we're super competitive and I'm an old sneak. I always get the jump on him. He went back for remapping after our 1st roll on. Then again for bad low end power. I'm a get to 3 digits as fast as possible then slow down a bit type. Acceleration floats my boat. Nos sounds great.
Steve

I was thinking about it the other day, I'm coming up on 30 years of running some sort of nitrous system on my vehicles. Damn time flies.

retarding ignition timing by 1 to 1-1/2 degrees 50 HP gain is suggested, but as you can see it's not that much, so you would be able to get by. This is mainly for detonation issues that may arise. A good quality fuel will help eliminate the need for it. personally, I've used the retard mode in my dynatek just for added piece of mind.

As for power increases, I follow with the max 20hp/cyl for stock engine rule of thumb, but I had assistance in the form of a Schnitz controller. I've had well over 100 hits on my engine with no issues. Others follow the never exceed 50% power increase to your current HP rule.

Currently I sold of my last system and I'm going with the guys at Wizards of Nos and a new controller by the time summer rolls around.

Bergerman is probably the most knowledgeable guy I know about the stuff, He's consulted about systems, built and tuned systems and wrote many articles about nitrous. Give his site a look-see. He has a ton of information on things he has done with nitrous oxide.

Bergerman is probably the most knowledgeable guy I know about the stuff, He's consulted about systems, built and tuned systems and wrote many articles about nitrous. Give his site a look-see. He has a ton of information on things he has done with nitrous oxide.[/QUOTE]

Thanks KJ, cool informative site I'd like to know more and that looks like a good place to start.
Steve

I found a local guy selling a kit and I got it used for $200 minus the bottle but I already had 3 2.5lb bottles.. between fittings and extra jets I'll need I'll probably have another $120 or so in it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Back