while you're in there, might as well..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninjaneer

Reaction score
So I'm gonna be taking off the rear rubber in the next few weeks--the front tire is wearing thin, and so while replacing it I'm gonna fatten up the back end with a 170. However, my question to y'all is this:

While the rear wheel is off, how can I capitalize on the opportunity? In other words, what else could I take care of, for example, bearings, dif stuff, exhaust stuff? The bike has 40K and signs of PO neglect have popped up through the 10K I've put on it. Any maintenance (preventative and/or repair candidates)? Mechanical, cosmetic, cleaning?. Of course you can throw in some bananas for the Monkey as well, any suggestions are welcomed.

Exhaust, swing arm bearings, wheel bearings, rotor, paint/notch/brace swing arm, grease bearings.

it really only takes a few minutes to remove the rear wheel so if everything looks fine i wouldnt just start replacing parts. i do have a habit of replacing wheel bearrings every other time i replace a tire.

Change the diff oil, no need to have the tire/wheel off, but hey while you're back there it is something that needs to be done every now and again. I would also, at a minimum, pull the swingarm and check the bearings. If they are good, repack them with some waterproof grease (I used to use boat trailer wheel bearing grease) and put the swingarm back on. If your Mod Monkey is raising hell because you have not cared for him in a long time, then you can look at notching, bracing, etc.......

diff oil was changed a couple months ago. hmmm swingarm bearings. i might do that. should i anticipate as much difficulty as i ran into with the steering head bearings?

So I'm gonna be taking off the rear rubber in the next few weeks--the front tire is wearing thin, and so while replacing it I'm gonna fatten up the back end with a 180. However, my question to y'all is this:

While the rear wheel is off, how can I capitalize on the opportunity? In other words, what else could I take care of, for example, bearings, dif stuff, exhaust stuff? The bike has 40K and signs of PO neglect have popped up through the 10K I've put on it since October. Any maintenance (preventative and/or repair candidates)? Mechanical, cosmetic, cleaning?. Of course you can throw in some bananas for the Monkey as well, any suggestions are welcomed.

do you have radial tires? if not i'd be careful with a 180 in the back.

i'd check the bearings, the rear wheel bearings and swingarm bearings can get expensive, before replacing them.

instead of dropping the whole swingarm you can probably feel for notchiness by just tacking one bolt of the swingarm out at a time. i hate dropping my swingarm and wrestling that f'n thing back on with the stupid rubber boot

rear and front wheel bearings are easy enough to feel for any problems.

Exhaust, swing arm bearings, wheel bearings, rotor, paint/notch/brace swing arm, grease bearings.

+1

it really only takes a few minutes to remove the rear wheel so if everything looks fine i wouldnt just start replacing parts. i do have a habit of replacing wheel bearrings every other time i replace a tire.

really!?!? wow. thats like $70 EXTRA every other tire change? those bearings shouldnt' be going that much... even the stupid needle bearing in the rear wheel?

how many miles u get out of your tires?

Change the diff oil, no need to have the tire/wheel off, but hey while you're back there it is something that needs to be done every now and again. I would also, at a minimum, pull the swingarm and check the bearings. If they are good, repack them with some waterproof grease (I used to use boat trailer wheel bearing grease) and put the swingarm back on. If your Mod Monkey is raising hell because you have not cared for him in a long time, then you can look at notching, bracing, etc.......

good point on the rear diff. with the rear wheel off it makes sure u can properly catch the oil instead of dribbling all over your tire!

Might have some issues with a 180 tire.

Check the bearings in the wheel. Most likey they are fine.

If you haven't yet, replace the oil in the differential.

Look for any leaking seals in the diff. Unlikely.

If you're anal you could remove the clutch hub from the rear wheel (snap ring). You can clean up the rubber dampers and the fingers that engage them on the clutch hub and reassemble with fresh grease. The manual calls for a moly paste. Most guys use a good waterproof grease.

If you pull the shocks you can move the swingarm up and down and feel for any roughness in the bearings. You could always drop it, remove the bearings (they are tapered bearings, they will fall right out) clean and repack them and reset the torque on the bolts.

Hit your rear brakes a few times till the pistons stick way out of the calipers and then clean/polish the pistons and check the dust seals.

Brake pads OK?

If you have OEM shocks you may want to lube the bottom section of the body that turns to adjust pre-load. I've seen em get crusty here.

Tail light/inner fender mods

Screw all that and just put a new tire on and ride :biglaugh:

do you have radial tires? if not i'd be careful with a 180 in the back.
Might have some issues with a 180 tire.
doh. i meant 170. i know better. must've mixed up the 7 and 8 in "170/80" :rofl_200:edited the OP.

i'd check the bearings, the rear wheel bearings and swingarm bearings can get expensive, before replacing them.

instead of dropping the whole swingarm you can probably feel for notchiness by just tacking one bolt of the swingarm out at a time. i hate dropping my swingarm and wrestling that f'n thing back on with the stupid rubber boot

rear and front wheel bearings are easy enough to feel for any problems.
cool. thanks for the tips

If you're anal you could remove the clutch hub from the rear wheel (snap ring). You can clean up the rubber dampers and the fingers that engage them on the clutch hub and reassemble with fresh grease. The manual calls for a moly paste. Most guys use a good waterproof grease.
might do that. NICE .

Hit your rear brakes a few times till the pistons stick way out of the calipers and then clean/polish the pistons and check the dust seals.
Brake pads OK?
hmm. neat idea. i may do that. but i overhauled the caliper a few months ago and changed out the pads, so maybe i'll just have a look to see what's what. actually thanks for pointing it out. the rear brake is squeelling. think i'll put some of that brake lube. cool. thanks for reminding me.

If you have OEM shocks you may want to lube the bottom section of the body that turns to adjust pre-load. I've seen em get crusty here.
might just do that.

Screw all that and just put a new tire on and ride
biglaugh.gif
BWAHAHAHA. LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK.

Back