Will drag bars=more comfort for me?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbeduckman

Reaction score
I'm getting pretty good at picking brains around here.....

About 700 miles and two weeks into vmax ownership, and I'm beginning to think my hips are not up to the ergonomics. Another 100 miles down today, and I can hardly walk up the driveway. I've seen some posts here by others who have lowered the seat and put on drag bars to pull their upper bodies forward a bit, alleviating the hip discomfort (Redbone I think). This seems like it would alow for a little less tension. I don't think I'd be overstretched, I'm 6'2" and don't have little t-rex arms. My seat is already quite a bit lower than stock (UFO) and I DO NOT want forward controls. Are a set of bars in my near future? If so, how hard is the instal? I've never changed bars on any of my bikes (seems simple enough). I see by using the search function that Mr. Morley deals in bars (should I be surprised?). Sean, if you read this...I'll be down this afternoon with my tires, darn UPS man is a day late. We may have to have a bar conversation to go along with the exhaust/tire/wheel/synching/tuning conversation....I may as well just sign my next paycheck over to you.

What drag bars are you guys running (I would get some black ones)? Any and all opinions welcome and wanted. Some pictures would be great too. Thank you.

Last edited:
Drag bars definately helped relieve the lower back/hip pain for me. I do still have the stock seat for now though.

I'm getting pretty good at picking brains around here.....

About 700 miles and two weeks into vmax ownership, and I'm beginning to think my hips are not up to the ergonomics. Another 100 miles down today, and I can hardly walk up the driveway. I've seen some posts here by others who have lowered the seat and put on drag bars to pull their upper bodies forward a bit, alleviating the hip discomfort (Redbone I think). This seems like it would alow for a little less tension. I don't think I'd be overstretched, I'm 6'2" and don't have little t-rex arms. My seat is already quite a bit lower than stock (UFO) and I DO NOT want forward controls. Are a set of bars in my near future? If so, how hard is the instal? I've never changed bars on any of my bikes (seems simple enough). I see by using the search function that Mr. Morley deals in bars (should I be surprised?). Sean, if you read this...I'll be down this afternoon with my tires, darn UPS man is a day late. We may have to have a bar conversation to go along with the exhaust/tire/wheel/synching/tuning conversation....I may as well just sign my next paycheck over to you.

What drag bars are you guys running (I would get some black ones)? Any and all opinions welcome and wanted. Some pictures would be great too. Thank you.
I bought my drag bars from Python Motorsports. They work for me but they are only a 1/2" wider than stock, I think Sean has some that are wider if you'd like them wider.
I was amazed that moving the body forward and down that little bit eliminated the leg cramping and hip discomfort.:confused2: I also like the body positioning for cornering (better weight bias on the front wheel) and better than stock position for wind profile.
I was surprised when I rode the FJR at the demo ride last weekend with it's ergonomics. I felt my body weight on my hands, which is something I don't have on Redbone. It wasn't the wind either because I rode half the ride with the windshield all the way up and the other half with it all the way down. I felt that with the windshield all the way down I had more wind hitting me in the chest than I do behind Redbone's comparitively smaller windshield.

I've seen some posts here by others who have lowered the seat and put on drag bars to pull their upper bodies forward a bit, alleviating the hip discomfort

Gad, I have drag bars on my Magna (not for long) and can't see how making you bend forward helps a bad back in ANY way. I have a bad back and leaning forward just an inch when I'm having a back episode is excruciating.

I'll tell you this, if you change the bars, keep the old ones, I deducted $500 from my Magna price when I bought it because the PO threw away the bars.

I run Flanders drag bars that are 31" long. I love the feel and the style on the max.

They're pricey but they're nice bars and extra long to fit all the stuff on them.

Chris

i guess we are all diff...the only ergo gripe i have is the placement of the front footpegs. it seems that they are in the way all the time wwhen i come 2 a stop:bang head: do ya hear me?:rofl_200:

i put a small windshied on my bikw when i 1st got it... and i hate it!!

not only does it look like crap....but then i cant hear da motor!!:rofl_200:
i dont get that IN THE CHEST wind bash when i ride the max with no windshield. .....this is the only bike i have ever owned that does not do that.....BIG PLUS 4 me:punk:
im pretty happy with stock bars...but i do like the look of drag bars.

i think it would take some time too see if they made rides more comfy.

It takes 30 minutes tops to install new bars and you can get a decent drag bar for less than $50. I'd give it a shot.

Gad, I have drag bars on my Magna (not for long) and can't see how making you bend forward helps a bad back in ANY way. I have a bad back and leaning forward just an inch when I'm having a back episode is excruciating.

I'll tell you this, if you change the bars, keep the old ones, ...

DITTO that.

I had a hip replaced two years ago and I can't imagine how leaning forward any further would alleviate any hip pain either.

I'll occasionally experience a hip spasm just after getting on my Max and the only way to fix it short of standing back up (while stopped, or on the pegs while riding) is to lean back farther and try to throw out the offending leg without letting it drop down to scrape pavement. Fortunately, the spasms/cramps only last a few seconds after straightening out that leg.

I'll occasionally experience a hip spasm just after getting on my Max and the only way to fix it short of standing back up (while stopped, or on the pegs while riding) is to lean back farther and try to throw out the offending leg without letting it drop down to scrape pavement. Fortunately, the spasms/cramps only last a few seconds after straightening out that leg.

This sounds familiar to what I experienced. It was funny, I could be riding along all afternoon, but about the time I'd hammer on the VMax a bit, I'd get a cramp in my hip flexor muscle for whatever reason. (Probably holding on for dear life. :eusa_dance:)

It's hell to get old.

I run Flanders also. They are pricey but IMO the extra width is worth it.

I felt that I was leaning a little too far forward with them so installed a Gen-Mar riser, that and the Sport Max seat made my riding position perfect.

i still have some flanders that are up for sale. I had someone PM me first about them, which i need to address, but if he's not interested i'd be more than willing to ship them out for someone (or a few people) to try out just pay for shipping, & the person that ends up wanting them just shoot me a few bucks...

i would say it took about 1/2 hr to install the bars and a 1/2 hr to get the stock grip off w/out ruining it!!!!:rofl_200:

I had back surgery last year and still love my drag bars. It's all dependent on the individuals arm length. You can't say one person is going to love or hate them. If you have short arms then do NOT get them. I just hate the look of the stock buck horns.

Chris

DITTO that.

I had a hip replaced two years ago and I can't imagine how leaning forward any further would alleviate any hip pain either.

This is just what I'm experiencing...hip flexor (in front, high on the thigh, almost belt level) cramping, spasm, pain. I can put my feet out on the crashbars for a bit to get rid of it. I just went out for a quick spin and tried to simulate a different riding position further forward, it wasn't good. Hmmmm....I bet there will be some drag bars up in Topeka that people will let me sit on and feel out.

I ran drags for a while, I liked them more than stock on the fwy, and less than stock around town.

Eventually I decided to go the other way with Max and ran forward controls, and tried a variety of ways to bring the bars back and up a bit. ATM I am back to stock, but it's my intention to replace the top tree entirely, and run larger bars with internal wiring and throttle cables. Throw in a drivers backrest and I'll have my Geezer-Max all set up.

This is just what I'm experiencing...hip flexor (in front, high on the thigh, almost belt level) cramping, spasm, pain.

This sounds exactly what I experienced. I'll tell you what worked, and continues to work, for me. In lieu of changing the bike around (which may or may not have worked at getting rid of those cramps), I bought an iPod and started walking. It took a few weeks of walking, but those weird cramps seemed to largely go away by just getting my legs and core into better shape. Now, in the meantime I managed to break my ankle and it took a while before I was able to work myself back up to my daily walk routine...but overall the walking is good for mind and body. I'm doing five miles a day when I can work it into my schedule.

DITTO that.

To me it seems the stock bars put me in a position where I was sitting straight up. With every bump it felt like it compacted the lower spine and over time it began to hurt more and more. The drag bars cause me to leave forward slightly enough that spine isnt straigth up and down.

This sounds familiar to what I experienced. It was funny, I could be riding along all afternoon, but about the time I'd hammer on the VMax a bit, I'd get a cramp in my hip flexor muscle for whatever reason. (Probably holding on for dear life. :eusa_dance:)

It's hell to get old.

I thought I was the only one with that problem. The shift cramp. man That sucks.:bang head:

I didn't like the slightly slanted forward position I got from the OEM bars at all, and it did hurt my back after a while in the saddle.

I went with higher wider bars (from a Tiger 650) and it helped a lot - I sit up more and the reach is better (arms more bent). Then when I replaced the Corbin seat with a Muscle Corbin from Sean things got better again. Haven't had enough time to ride since!

I was born in '57, so I have to warm up before doing just about everything.
Leaning forward to get off your tail bone makes sense, if you have a lower back problem.
Hip Flexor stretches and exercise will eliminate the cramping issues.
In Canada riding sleds and hockey in the winter help keep the hips in shape.
Dehydration is also instrumental in causing cramping and most of us don't drink enough water, so.....
Google, "hip flexor" exercises or stretches, you won't be sorry!
Here's one I found that will help.
Cheers!

http://laurensfitness.com/2007/12/24/tight-hips-tips-to-loosen-your-hip-flexors/

I was born in '57, so I have to warm up before doing just about everything.
Leaning forward to get off your tail bone makes sense, if you have a lower back problem.
Hip Flexor stretches and exercise will eliminate the cramping issues.
In Canada riding sleds and hockey in the winter help keep the hips in shape.
Dehydration is also instrumental in causing cramping and most of us don't drink enough water, so.....
Google, "hip flexor" exercises or stretches, you won't be sorry!
Here's one I found that will help.
Cheers!

http://laurensfitness.com/2007/12/24/tight-hips-tips-to-loosen-your-hip-flexors/

Thanks...I really think this is the ticket. I just need to strengthen that part of my body, and keep stretched. New muscle use is all. Today, I ate two bananas for breakfast, ran a little bit, stretched then rode....no problems. In my "testing" drag bars wouldn't do much for me anyway. I can grab the clutch lever like a handgrip and still have bend at the elbow. I'd have to go to somekind of clip-op-ish bar to lean forward.

Latest posts

Back