17inch wheels upgrade, plus few other mods (for now)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Counterbore the riser bolt locations so that you have enough shank sticking through to put the nuts on.

Sean

Counterbore the riser bolt locations so that you have enough shank sticking through to put the nuts on.

Sean

+1
That is what was done to my aftermarket triples. A large hole bored into the bottom of it so that the OEM nut and a socket will fit in the hole.

Looking good so far

Sean
That is a really good idea, and simple. Why didn't I think of that! Thanks Sean:worthy:

I also found cheap handlebar mounts from 78 CB750 that I can make work.

Looks cool. The only thing i don't like is the sleeves on the forks... At least chanfer them at the bottom so they can blend in towards the forks

Finally all put together! :cheers:
Took it for a ride yesterday and I must say I noticed the difference immediatelly. First thing I noticed was how much quicker it wanted to turn in especially at low speeds, I didn't like that too much but as soon as I got rolling about 10 mph it seemed to go away and it felt fine, I think the reason for that is that the front is lower by about an inch. By the time I was done riding I either got used to the feeling or it went away because I didn't notice it all that much. Overall, I am very happy with how it turned out. I got exactly what I wanted.

I'm done with mods for now, hopefully more to come over winter, but with the new baby funds maybe a problem.

I think the last thing I'll do soon is mount the front fender. I don't really like the no fender look. I'll have to figure out a way to put on the original fender with my new forks which should be an intersting project for me.

Right now I just want to enjoy riding :rocket bike:

Here are some pictures of the finished (for now) product :eusa_dance:

Attachments

• (25) vmax finished left side.jpg
    (25) vmax finished left side.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 56
  • (26) vmax finished  front left side.jpg
    (26) vmax finished front left side.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 57
  • (27) vmax finished front right side.jpg
    (27) vmax finished front right side.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 61
  • (28) vmax finished right side.jpg
    (28) vmax finished right side.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 67
  • (29) vmax finished rear lights off.jpg
    (29) vmax finished rear lights off.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 56
  • (30) vmax finished rear lighst on.jpg
    (30) vmax finished rear lighst on.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 56
  • (31) vmax finished handlebar view.jpg
    (31) vmax finished handlebar view.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 50
I specially like the front fork :p
For the wheels, I think it's a matter of style.
Those wheels are perfect for keeping the original look, although I'm in love with the 3 spokes rim Prez sent me. It just fits perfectly the style I wanted :p

For the wheels, I think it's a matter of style.
:p
You're exactly right it's a matter of style, personally I'm not a fan of the 3 spoke wheel, that's why I had Prez convert this one for me. However, at the end of the day as long as you're happy with the way it looks that's all that matters :biglaugh:

I think the last thing I'll do soon is mount the front fender. I don't really like the no fender look. I'll have to figure out a way to put on the original fender with my new forks which should be an intersting project for me.

Right now I just want to enjoy riding :rocket bike:

Why dont you use the KAWA fender? Way easier to install and remember that your original fender is for a 18" rim with a 90 tall tire and now you have a 120/70R17. The fender will not fit properly and you'll have lots of work fabbing fixing points.

I agree about the fender. The kawi one will probably look better. If you're set on using the vmax fender check out COO's website. You may be able to catch a glimpse of how he fabricates the brackets to make the vmax fender work with USD forks. He supplies these brackets when using USD forks and vmax wheels though.

I just retained the busa fender with my setup. I got lucky. The color even matches up.

Looks like things turned out pretty good for you. Nice job.

Why dont you use the KAWA fender? Way easier to install and remember that your original fender is for a 18" rim with a 90 tall tire and now you have a 120/70R17. The fender will not fit properly and you'll have lots of work fabbing fixing points.
I thought about the Kawi fender. That would be the easiest and around $50 not too expensive, but I don't know if I like how big it looks on the bike. When I put the original yamaha fender on with some tubing to give me an idea of spacing it actually looked pretty good. I have an idea for the mount too, basically an upside down U with a plate on top that I can bolt up the original fender and frame brace to. The frame brace would be in no way functional but it would give me a more of a finished look. I'll try to make a template out of cardboard first and if it looks like total crap I'll go with the original Kawi fender.

The thing with the stock fender is that its set for a bigger diameter wheel so you will have the tire closer to fender next to forks and further away on the tips, aft and forward if u know wat i mean

With...... and ........ without .

Attachments

• 7-19-11 295.jpg
    7-19-11 295.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC00930.jpg
    DSC00930.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 58
Thanks , it looks finished with the fender . Helps in the rain as well , :rofl_200:

Attachments

• 7-19-11 170.jpg
    7-19-11 170.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 39
Oh, the rear rim am familiar and the front end am familiar LOL :biglaugh:
Mosf defo one of those was on my table :rofl_200:

I decieded instantly to keep stock zx10r fender cuz its one of the best USD fenders I have ever seen - for example busa fender looks idiotic to me - but that's just me :confused2: :ummm:

Glad you like it!

dsc04405n.jpg

Latest posts

Back