1985 VMax parts bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonoran6

Reaction score
I was referred to someone selling a parts bike. Guy said the engine runs, but needs the coils to start. My question is, should I get it? Its <$1000, but I dont need anything off of it... was hoping I could sell the parts here or online to cover my costs. It has the seat, faux tank, wheels, carbs, etc. Looks pretty complete minus the scoops and side covers.

If you knew for a fact or could test yourself that the engine/trans are good i would say grab it, if your going by hearsay, it would be too risky for me...................Tom.

I wish I could verify it did run. I was thinking the carbs would be worth the purchase. Giving me the ability to learn how to work on em. I can't on my bike, its my way to work.

You could try lowballing him, if you could get it for say $500-$600 it would probally be worth it.....................Tom.

It don't make sense to do that when Tornado just posted the ebay ad for a set of carbs with stage seven for 300. There is money to be made on that bike but is it worth the hassle to you?

My view is if it has a title instead of being a 'no-papers' bike, (the only way I would buy any bike-with papers, even if you run the VIN and it doesn't come back 'hot' but no paper on it) but doesn't run, it may be worth up to $700 for parts, but you have to deal w/picking-apart the carcass & headaches of shipping stuff, etc. A non-running bike to me isn't worth more than that. It's a big 'pig-in-a-poke.' Don't spend any more $ than you are willing to lose. That way, anything you make-back is recouping some of your $$, like when the engine has a spun bearing, burnt rod(s), bad 2nd gear, etc.

If you are restoring multiple bikes like myself and others do, I can't tell you HOW VALUABLE a parts bike can be! As long as you get into it cheap enough, it can pay for itself many times over. I can't tell you how many times a parts bike has pulled me out of a bad situation, by either seeing "where" something went, or by stealing a nut, bolt, part, whatever off of it. As long as you have the room, I say go for it, it's a no lose situation as far as I'm concerned!!!!

It don't make sense to do that when Tornado just posted the ebay ad for a set of carbs with stage seven for $300. There is money to be made on that bike but is it worth the hassle to you?

And what has happened to those carbs? :ummm::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

I wish I could verify it did run. I was thinking the carbs would be worth the purchase. Giving me the ability to learn how to work on em. I can't on my bike, its my way to work.
That's a $600 bike Bro. at best. I've got a frame with papers and not one call at best offer. So papers? If your going to part it out?
On the other hand, it's a great experiance if you have time. I've had to hussle to sell most of the parts I sold. I did end up with a complete stage 7 carb set, spare engine and tons of spare everything I'll ever need. I'd do it again right now. But,don't over pay unless it's a confirmed runner.
Steve-o
The engine on the bike had a welded lower case, that wasn't disclosed, and 3 spun rod bearings. I'm hopefull the other engine can be a runner. BE CAREFULL.

Back