1st gen v 2nd gen

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll get a Gen 2 in a year or 5 when price comes down. Parts for The gen 1 aren't going to be there forever, so that will be a reason to upgrade just for part support.

I'd like to add that I can get to work faster on my Gen 1 than on the Gen II. Those that know me, know I'm a big guy. When I roll the throttle open on my 85, it sh!ts and gits, and I arrive at work in no time. However, when I attempt this on my 09, all I get done is tire spin - even at my weight.

That extra HP causes excess tire wear, I tell you, and I only average 2k miles per back tire on the Gen 1 - can't wait to see how long a back tire lasts me on this 09. With the ever-increasing cost of tires, I may not be able to afford to keep this 09.

Factory traction control woulda been nice.

Not to get off subject but try out the Shinko Verge, they hook way better and are cheaper but realistically don't expect anything to live real long back there...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

This bike has the 240mm tire/wheel conversion on it. I think my next tire might be a Shinko, but I think the # is diff than the one you recommend. 011 comes to mind w/o going to look it up. I got a couple months before I need to begin a serious replacement search. I personally am having trouble getting used to the feel of this 240 anyway, and reserve the right to put it back to the stock 200 size tire, but that's for a different thread and/or time.

Parts for the gen1 will be around for a long time. Nice thing about yamaha's....they change so infrequently finding parts is easy. 50 years from now it might be a little tougher.....but anything with a marketable following will have repro parts when the OEM supply dries up.

I bet in like 20 years a gen1 2nd gear will be going for like $500 on ebay.

Well bikes are worth less than the parts. It's a little crazy when you spend $2k for wheels on a $4k bike.

This bike has the 240mm tire/wheel conversion on it. I think my next tire might be a Shinko, but I think the # is diff than the one you recommend. 011 comes to mind w/o going to look it up. I got a couple months before I need to begin a serious replacement search. I personally am having trouble getting used to the feel of this 240 anyway, and reserve the right to put it back to the stock 200 size tire, but that's for a different thread and/or time.

I think the 011 is the Verge, they only make it in the factory size 200/50-18 but I've got it on my gen 1 and it hooks hard even in cold weather on nitrous... I don't blame you on the 240, I dig the way it looks buy it must make it ride funny as hell plus your just turning unneeded mass reducing HP at the tire...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I think many misunderstand me on the gen 2 view. To be clear. I LIKE the gen 2 for its abilities (power and handling specifically). I DON'T LIKE the gen 2 for it's bulk, overall image, and price.

They didn't fully listen to all the desires/requests in my opinion when they were doing their market research. I think for the money that they came out at, they were not giving the customer what they could have. Again I am not saying they didn't give the customers anything. The bike is well made, and the overall "fit and finish" are nice.

I spent a few hours and many miles on one down in Eureka Springs on a friends 09 and it was quite fun. Takes a bit to get the wheelies down. Hard to launch without obliterating the tire, My riding friends were no longer in view within a few turns (not sure why they weren't keeping up). Just too much to deal with lol!

Sean

You feel like King of the Street (and a Bad Ass) when you go down the road on it.......and it literally can make you smile when you ride it.

-Mark-

YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!:worthy: I've owned A LOT of bikes and this is what makes the Vmax(both Gen's) unique.

The Gen II is better in almost every way. It came down to cost for me. I could spent 1/3 the money and get 100% of the above feeling and probably 60-70% of the performance.

I will have a Gen 2 someday, but being the "frugal" guy that I am, I just won't spend top dollar for one. I'll find a used one for 10K sooner or later, and it will be MINE! Will it make me get rid of my B-King or other bikes? Probably not, but that's because I like MANY kinds of bikes, and have the opportunity to have as many as I want (garage space being the only limiting factor). As others have stated, I just think they overpriced it and many have steered clear because of it. Made it a more "exclusive" bike for sure, but not for the right reasons. :punk:

I like my 85 because it was the first year and the bike was a folk legend back then... Maybe someday I will get a Gen 2 but mine will always be with me...

I have a 85 and a 2010 love them both.They are 2 differnt animals.2010 is a little heavy and the seat is a little high but the power makes up for its shortcommings.

We can get the same rear wheel as the front if that's what is desired but the Carr's are much lighter and bring your bike well forward into the 21st century!

I have had 3 1st gens.

The 1st gen is a classic, the 2nd gen is a modern version. Some people love classics, others want a more refined machine. The biggest difference to me is that the 1st gen is a lifetime bike....take care of it and there is no reason that you cant still be riding it 50 years from now. The 2nd gen has a lot of plastic and electronics that will go bad eventually and will be much more of a PITA to keep going.

As far as aesthetics go, I do not like the look of a stock 1st gen, but a highly modified one looks absolutely amazing IMO. The 2nd gen is a nice looking bike, modified, they look pretty bad ass too. I do feel that the 2nd gen looks a bit too swoopy and plasticky for me.

If I lived somewhere that actually had nice riding roads, I'd probably want a 2nd gen to really enjoy the twisties, but here in FL, the most fun you get is from the on/off ramps to the interstate unfortunately so the 2nd gen's extra handling doesnt do much for me.

Power-wise, I am very happy with my 165WHP that the supercharger gives me on my 1st gen. I feel that it is very comparable to a stock 2nd gen. I do want to get my bike up to the 200WHP range eventually....not that I need it...

For me, I am a bigger fan of the 1st gen because once modified, they all become so unique. The 1st gen is a blank slate to customize easily with all sorts of aftermarket parts and parts from other bikes. A modified 2nd gen will still look like most of the other 2nd gens IMO. The 1st gen sound with a nice set of pipes is amazing and better than the 2nd gen's sound, I like the fact that you cant tell the difference between an 85 or a 2005, I like the fact that no other vmax looks like mine, I like how my 1st gen really stands out in a crowd and how everyone no matter what they ride respects it. I love having something that looks and sounds like no other.

At biketoberfest this year, I stumbled across a bunch of guys on 2nd gens. We all rode together for a bit and went over to Boxennstopp. Some of these guys were telling me how they liked the sound of the 1st gen better and would really like to have a highly modified 1st gen like mine. I thought that was pretty cool....:punk: I was surprised how much that bike spins the back tire as opposed to hooking up.

I had the opportunity to buy a stock 2nd gen or a highly modified 1st gen for the same money last year. I took the 1st gen because its classic and unique. I have never regretted that decision. To each his own though....

I agree with you, the gen 2 is a great machine but nothing compare to a nicely custom gen 1, myself don't really get exicted on the stock looks but put a nice set of wheel with radial, extend and brace the swingarm and usd fork, the bike will handle pretty sweet. Not to mention all the great nasty looking body parts for it also. Might sound like a lot of money at first but you do that stuff gradually. I think if I would have the chance to get a gen 2 well I would still have to start changing some stuff on it anyway.

Latest posts

Back