20 mpg?? What you talkin bout Willis!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCHILDERS

Reaction score
I am brand new to the family as of yesterday. ('02) max with 6500 miles on it. hole shot pipes and stage one performance kit. The previous owner told me he gets around 20 mpg with it. From what I've read that has to be horse crap. He said it's running a little rich. I don't think however that it should be this low. Is he just on the throttle that much (is that possible). Or do I need to take it in and get it tuned on a bit. I wouldn't know how to start. The bike looks new and seems to run well. I'm just a bit apprehensive. Someone please give me some advice, opinion, etc.

Check the air filter first. What do the spark plugs look like? Is it Dale Walker's stage 1 kit? If need is too high mileage really suffers. Make sure carbs are sync'd too. Well tuned Vmax should get 36-44 mpg.

6500 miles is low for an '02, maybe it sat quite a bit. Try running some seafoam through it, that might help. Other than that, drive it for awhile, calc your own mileage figures before doing any changes. Might not turn out to be that bad. If it is that bad then you can go to the next step, there are a lot of real knowledgable guys on this site who will be willing to help you.

Best advice, make sure it's broke before you try to fix it. :biglaugh:

First I would check the oil. Meaning smell your oil, if it smells like gas than you better start thinking about resolving this issue quickly.
If your dumping raw fuel into engine and its not all being burnt its washing your cylinder walls clean leaving very little oil to prevent cyl wall scratches ='ing low compression
I dont care how hard you ride, I ride mine pretty much balls to the wall 85% of the time and I avg. 31-34 and I think my needles may be sitting a little to high causing a low-mid richness but it runs great so I dont fudge with it.

20MPG you better start working on it, or ya just may have a laim blue smoker on your hands in time.

My first tank of fuel in the max averaged out to be 22mpg. I was very throttle happy of course.:eusa_dance: I now get in the low-mid 30's. IT has a full kerker system and stage 7 kit. My guess he was very throttle happy and it was not tuned correctly.

First I would check the oil. Meaning smell your oil, if it smells like gas than you better start thinking about resolving this issue quickly.
If your dumping raw fuel into engine and its not all being burnt its washing your cylinder walls clean leaving very little oil to prevent cyl wall scratches ='ing low compression
I dont care how hard you ride, I ride mine pretty much balls to the wall 85% of the time and I avg. 31-34 and I think my needles may be sitting a little to high causing a low-mid richness but it runs great so I dont fudge with it.

20MPG you better start working on it, or ya just may have a laim blue smoker on your hands in time.

Yankee is right, 20 mpg is definitely not good thing. Sounds like carb overhaul and new plugs, carb sync, etc is in order.

Good luck

Mike

Or maybe he has one of John Cornballs V-GAS setups and its spraying raw fuel out the carbs:confused2:

I am sure you can smell gas in your oil. You may want to look into another jet kit.

First thing I would do is..
.5) Pull all the spark plugs see if any look different from the others.
1) Pull your carbs off.
2) What size Main Jets?
3) Clean & Blow all your PAJ'S out.
4) Than get back with us?

Are you running a K&N Filter? If no, than go out and order one.

Keep us posted on your results.

I am brand new to the family as of yesterday. ('02) max with 6500 miles on it. hole shot pipes and stage one performance kit. The previous owner told me he gets around 20 mpg with it. From what I've read that has to be horse crap. He said it's running a little rich. I don't think however that it should be this low. Is he just on the throttle that much (is that possible). Or do I need to take it in and get it tuned on a bit. I wouldn't know how to start. The bike looks new and seems to run well. I'm just a bit apprehensive. Someone please give me some advice, opinion, etc.

Hr obviously only puts in half a gallon at a time:nyah nyah:

I had that exact same setup on my 2006 and was seeing about 33-35mpg and now with my Morley kit I see more like 40 plus. My G/F and I went out last weekend and with her and I on it I saw 35mpg. I was VERY happy with that.:eusa_dance:

Dales kit if that's what it is is nothing more than spacing the stock needles up with a small washer and going up on the mains to a 155 and dropping in the K&N. THAT'S IT!

Thanks for the quick responses everyone. I guess the mileage he told me was totally just that- what he told me; it is hear-say. So, I will top it off today, reset the trip meter and check and see what the first tank of gas gets me. Side note: The bike doesn't seem to be as responsive as I think it should. I can peg it in first and second and the tire won't clear the pavement. From what I've heard from others, I'm judging that it is really underperforming (especially considering it has a few modifications). I do know for a fact that the guy was always on the throttle. He told me over and over and over how how important it is to stay on top of the pipes. So,... I guess time will tell. Again, I thank all of you. And I'm glad I've found this place.- I think it's going to prove to be real helpful.

Thanks guys.

Back