2006 Vmax with little issues and looking for and suggestions...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did notice by installing the stock exhaust back on the bike, it did behave better in start-up than with the slip-ons. Reinstalling the stock exhaust is definitely a two person job!!! A real pain in the butt!!! I boogered the exhaust gasket material on ONE! pipe and I have a leak.... Ugh. Now I have to take it off and start all over...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply Matt. I noticed that when I performed the stock exhaust modification, the big seemed a bit rich. Then when I installed the slip-on a little more richness... "The stock muffler is heavy cavernous and supply's a lot of back pressure". After removing the baffles even richer... After fiddling and modifying all sorts of motorized vehicles. From small block Chevys to flat head dirt track go-karts there is a fine balance. Finding that balance is an art. Lol.

There is lot to be said about leaving the stock carburation and exhaust "as is"
The Yamaha engineers did their job - why mess with a good thing?
Cheers!

I did notice by installing the stock exhaust back on the bike, it did behave better in start-up than with the slip-ons. Reinstalling the stock exhaust is definitely a two person job!!! A real pain in the butt!!! I boogered the exhaust gasket material on ONE! pipe and I have a leak.... Ugh. Now I have to take it off and start all over...

Try using a floor jack.

Hey guys, here is a little update. After inspecting the Delkevic exhaust, I did a little inspection... One of the cans' baffles, as I may have mentioned before, was loose. After closer inspection, the baffle would slide right through the can without any resistance. The other Can's baffle is a tight fit. The looseness would constitute the one side being louder than the other... I contacted Delkevic about the issue. Without any delay, the acknowledged the problem. The said that they received a batch of muffles with that problem and that a new can would be shipped out ASAP. That was Monday and I received the Canister on Friday. Reinstalled the Pipes and Cans and it sounds even and better than before. Extremely pleased with Janielle and the customer service at Delkevic. So far I am also pleased with the sound. Isn't it funny how important tolerances are on exhaust and if they aren't exaxt it can cause a nuisance... LOL (One Pipe Louder than the Other!) Hope fully I can get a couple of more rides in before the wet weather moves in here in WV. Thanks again for all the help the members have provided! Hopefully Santa will drop me off a Carb-Tune for Xmas!!

Hey guys, getting a Carbtune tool to sync the carbs. Is there a "how to" here somewhere on synchronizing the carbs??? thanks! Also I was shopping around and also found the Digi tune tool and I noticed that it had 3/16 adaptors for the Vmax. Anyone use the Carbtune and find that they needed adaptors? again thanks for any help!!!

You could probably visit your local muffler shop and ask them to expand your baffle a bit until it's a tight fit in the canister, it should take a tech about 2 minutes to do that. They use a mandrel slipped inside the diameter of the pipe and hydraulic force to shape the metal. There is a manual tool that you could do the same thing mechanically, but that may be the only time you ever use it, and most of those mechanical one's I've seen are for the exhaust tubing, and not the larger diameter of a motorcycle canister. Of course, if it's the oval canister, this entire expansion method wouldn't apply.

Another way to increase the size of the diameter would be to lay a bead of weld onto the edge/ends and then 'dress' it until you got the tight fit.

If you did this, you would have a spare, or a part you could sell on here, if someone needed a crash replacement part.

Thanks for all your Help Guys. Already thinking of what I can do with the extra Can. Just received the DigiSync today. Big Shout Out to Bon86 for the Ddiscount and the Supper fast shipping!!! I'll let you guys know how it works!

Back