3 SuperTrapp Questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTwistedNomad

Reaction score
Morning all,

Found a set of used SuperTrapp slip ons for sale in my area for 150$. Is that a decent price? Can I paint the exhaust? Lastly, I would like some comments on how people who have the SuperTrapp exhaust like them? Pros and cons please. Thank all

Twisted

1. Black or SS? Good price for black, great for SS
2. Yes
3. Most popular slipon for vmax

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371933607.422673.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1371933641.157101.jpgsuppertrappI just installed a black set on my max and I love them. The sound is great,the solid rear cap always gets people's attention the the ability to tune the exhaust is the key why I went with these. Make sure you find out how many discs come with the exhaust if he has the solid rear cap installed. Here is a pic of mine installed. The bike is dirty, I have to drive down a dirt road everyday to get to work.

Morning all,

Found a set of used SuperTrapp slip ons for sale in my area for 150$. Is that a decent price? Can I paint the exhaust? Lastly, I would like some comments on how people who have the SuperTrapp exhaust like them? Pros and cons please. Thank all

Twisted

No, that's "way-overpriced," don't bother with those. But someone I know will want them so send him the address...:rofl_200:

If they're not 'rashed-up' ('road-rash')and even if they are, you night still consider them if they're not mangled, and you were planning on painting them anyway.

Their stuff is well-built. Try them, you'll like them. I have a 4/1 SS set for my FZR1000, they wear well, perform well, and you should be happy w/them. If you decide to get a full system because general agreement is the slip-ons do NOT increase your performance, you can probably sell them for what you paid for them.

Re: 3 SuperTrapp Questions (+ a couple more now)

They are black and look a little rusty in the pictures but I figure with some sanding and some header or BBQ paint I can get them back into shape. I am going to try to arrange to see them tomorrow.

How many plates do they come with usually?
What should I be looking for when I am going over them?
Will they mount to the original exhaust hangers?
Will they be in the way of the centre stand?
I am also thinking about putting in a stage 1 carb kit and individual air pods eventually and was wondering how much carb tuning will be needed if I go with the Supertrapps or stay with the OEM exhaust?

Holy crap I ask a lot of questions.(friggin needy newbies!!)

Twisted

They come with whatever plates the previous guy had. Many of us have extra plates if you need some.
Look to see if all the screws stay tight.
They will mount to stock hangers.
No center stand issues.
You will not need to rejet with slip-ons.

Morning all,

Twisted

1. Good price if they are in decent shape
2. Yes, you can paint them
3. Most guys like them
Pros: cheaper than a full system, sound great
Cons: None really...Other than they will not provide any performance gains since the main issue is the restrictive stock headers.

How many plates do they come with usually?
What should I be looking for when I am going over them?
Will they mount to the original exhaust hangers?
Will they be in the way of the centre stand?
I am also thinking about putting in a stage 1 carb kit and individual air pods eventually and was wondering how much carb tuning will be needed if I go with the Supertrapps or stay with the OEM exhaust?

1. Depends on what the guy had on there
2. Major rash, dents, rust, bent, make sure the bolts that secure the cap are seized or stripped
3. Center stand will be fine
4. STAY AWAY from the stage 1 kit. Its a waste of money and will not make your bike run better. There are too many posts on this forum about guys trying to get it to work and then taking it out. Don't follow this path.

Until you get a full exhaust, you don't need to touch the jetting, unless you bought a Houston bike and moved to Durango CO. That goes for adding a drop-in K&N air filter, and a slip-on of whoever's manufacture. You can leave jetting alone unless your altitude changes drastically.

Jetting is for the big $$ move to a full exhaust, Stage 7, Morley's Muscle, or a Factory Pro jet kit which will also make you change the air filter.

Some people acquire a spare setup & mod it so they can go back to stock fairly easily. Remove & replace as desired. This is handy if you encounter carb problems for instance.

I will still say, "the biggest bang for your buck is to ditch the stock rear wheel, and get a modern sized wheel (17-18") and run radial tires." You can use a narrow 18" front radial on the stock wheel, it isn't optimal, but you can do it. This goes to solving much of the VMax reputation for sketchy handling. If you tried a back-to-back comparison, you would be looking to switch ASAP.

Finding a decent used rear wheel will run about $500-up, and two tires mounted/balanced should run about $250. You might beat that tire pricing checking local or online sales. Consider it an investment in safety, handling, and enjoyment of your ride.

Back