4 into 1 vs 4 into exhaust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howlin89

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me the advantages/disadvantages of a 4 into 1 exhaust vs a 4 into 2 exhaust? I tend to do a lot of short highway runs (60 to 80 miles) and occasionally two up miles with the wife. Looking for improved torque at around 5000 rpms without increasing the volume of the exhaust too much. Thank you for any input.

4 into 2 looks really good and 4 into 1 doesn't . Just my opinion but to me, that's all that matters. I like symmetry.

Matt

I belive there's a scavenging thing that gives 4-1 a potential advantage in the power department, but the real gain is from increasing the header diameter.

If you want maximum power then it's 4-1 but the advantage over 4-2 I suspect isn't noticeable I'm road conditions. The other advantage is that you would save a little weight.

However in the V 4 configuration what you normally have is either a 4-1 or 2-1 x 2 arrangement

I appreciate beauty in the eye etc. but I am in the two exhaust camp.

Now, your task if you choose to accept it, is to research 4-1-2 and 4-2-1 and what those arrangements do to the power curve!
This message will self destruct 5 seconds after you have read it.

4/1 for top end power, 4/2 for torque and usable power where you operate the engine 98% of the time.

I like the stock exhaust in chrome for its looks, a 4/1 for its top end howl and power, and the 4/2 for its balance of power where you ride most of the time. I really think it comes down to aesthetics, and what you can afford. My favorite by sound is the Kerker 4/1 but you have to cut off a centerstand tab to fit it, other 4/1 systems do not require that.

Now THIS is the look I like.
4 into 4 - the way God and/or Nature intended 70's-80's 4-bangers to be.....and shiny new wheels.
If you see this post BORGBIKER, think twice about swapping out those pipes for a 4 into 1!
Cheers!

Attachments

• Borgbiker's wheels.jpg
    Borgbiker's wheels.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 121
Yeah, the 4/4 is a good look too, but the Cobras cost you 10% power. The UFO Quadzilla I think, doesn't.

Yeah, the 4/4 is a good look too, but the Cobras cost you 10% power. The UFO Quadzilla I think, doesn't.

Let's face it, if you ride a Max, your'e most likely in the 40-70 yr.old range. You ain't no "spring chicken" anymore, Your'e reflex times have degraded , not to mention your eyesight and hearing. Above all, you've got responsibilities (wives, kids , houses, etc.)
Bottom line - you don't need a 10 second crotch rocket anymore. Be happy with an 80's design iconic bike, with better than decent performance, and a well-deserved reputation, that can still spank 90% of the cars and bikes that you are likely to meet on the asphalt.
You've got nothing to prove, at coffeeshops or stoplights. Your personal looks have probably taken a shitkickin' over the years, so you might as well be riding a smokin' hot looking bike!
Forget performance upgrades - GO FOR THE BLING!:punk:
I get the feeling I'm going to pay for this post, but bring it on!
Cheers, Mates!

Well, the Quadzilla has the 4/4 'look' Miles covets but doesn't cost power like the Cobra 4/4's. They have a 'bark' which to my ear doesn't sound as good as the Kerker 4/1.

I do like the 4/4 look, so if you can be OK w/the Cobra power loss, that's one way to get Miles' 'bling.'

Yes, a well-ridden 600 supersport will walk on a stock VMax but the rider will have to be revving to 15K or whatever they turn these days, while a couple of VMax downshifts will probably hit VBoost and put the sportbike in arrears for awhile. And at certain speeds, being able to crank it on and NOT having to downshift the VMax can hold its own against most. Torque.

Plus, when you're at a car show and you see a 260/289/427 Cobra, you have to look for awhile. The Vmax is like that too, most people into bikes for years know the name and the reputation. They're aren't that common, and you have to look.

Let's face it, if you ride a Max, your'e most likely in the 40-70 yr.old range. You ain't no "spring chicken" anymore, Your'e reflex times have degraded , not to mention your eyesight and hearing. Above all, you've got responsibilities (wives, kids , houses, etc.)
Bottom line - you don't need a 10 second crotch rocket anymore. Be happy with an 80's design iconic bike, with better than decent performance, and a well-deserved reputation, that can still spank 90% of the cars and bikes that you are likely to meet on the asphalt.
You've got nothing to prove, at coffeeshops or stoplights. Your personal looks have probably taken a shitkickin' over the years, so you might as well be riding a smokin' hot looking bike!
Cheers, Mates!

C'mon Miles. The 40 to 70 yr old crowd go the fastest. They're the ones with all the money:eusa_dance: I've been ridden about drag racing at 52. What better place to ride fast. They have an ambulance there waiting for me:eusa_dance: I have a marks 4-1. When I got it, I was concerned about how it would look. After It was installed, I thought it look good. The whole bike looks Bad Ass.

Cheers, Mates!

Miles Miles Miles Miles Miles, You are right in the ballpark with the age (55)-You are right about the "spring chicken"-My reflex and reaction times are my LIFE and get quicker every year!:clapping:
Eyesight is well I still don't wear glasses (yet) and my hearing is 20/20? :bang head:-
Never been married -No kids-Bought my own house when I was 18 years old.
You are right again-I don't need a 10 second crotch rocket-That's why I have a 7 second crotch rocket!!!:rocket bike:
I have nothing to prove on the streets and I keep it on the track.
I beg your pardon on the personal looks ( go ahead and help yourself to my homepage photos just don't spend too much time there)-:rofl_200:
Performance upgrades are all I have left ( I always knew this guy was a taco short of a combination plate).
Luv Ya Miles:hammer bash:

Well, the Quadzilla has the 4/4 'look' Miles covets but doesn't cost power like the Cobra 4/4's. They have a 'bark' which to my ear doesn't sound as good as the Kerker 4/1.

I do like the 4/4 look, so if you can be OK w/the Cobra power loss, that's one way to get Miles' 'bling.'

Yes, a well-ridden 600 supersport will walk on a stock VMax but the rider will have to be revving to 15K or whatever they turn these days, while a couple of VMax downshifts will probably hit VBoost and put the sportbike in arrears for awhile. And at certain speeds, being able to crank it on and NOT having to downshift the VMax can hold its own against most. Torque.

Plus, when you're at a car show and you see a 260/289/427 Cobra, you have to look for awhile. The Vmax is like that too, most people into bikes for years know the name and the reputation. They're aren't that common, and you have to look.

There is no Vmax that will hold it's own against a large sport bike if there are tight corners or for that matter any corners at all. If you really want to go fast on a road with twisties an R1 or the likes will leave anyone on any Vmax 1st gen for dead. Why compare it to a 600? most of the guys I know that can afford it all ride big bikes. There is NO contest against another 1000cc + sport bike.

I agree about the Max being like the cobra. That's the main reason I've got one. If I wanted to keep up with my buddies on there sport bikes I'd have to go buy another bike like everyone else has. Unfortunately, I don't go on as many rides with some of my friends that I use too because I just can't keep up on the Max and if I did manage to for a short while, They would still end up losing me and I'd be completely exhausted at the end of it.

Go for the best look and sound a don't worry about a small amount of power difference at certain rpm's. It's still going to be a very cool, fast, head turning bike that is an absolute blast to ride.

Matt

I am also in the range previously described - 46 years young. Finally able to buy the toys I wanted when I was a lad. Smart enough to not flatten myself with them when I do get them :rofl_200:

I love the Cobra's look. And the sound - while not Kerker-licious - is pretty cool. It's 90% v8, 10% Harley blatt. The problem with every other "4 pipe" exhaust I know of its that they're really dual exhaust with 4 tips (long or short). Not aesthetically pleasing to my eye.

I haven't completely decided on exhaust yet. Mark's is another standout for me. Every YouTube I've watched with a Mark's V_max exhaust sounded good, and a couple sounded great. Still, nothing I've ever heard sounds like the Kerker system.

So the Kerker wins on sound, the Cobras win on looks, and the Mark's dual is a good balance. But still...

I'll never forget in the fall of 1985, I was 16, rolling up to a stoplight on my 1973 CB350F. I heard what I thought was a dragster, and looked everywhere trying to get a glimpse, and a 1985 V-max pulls up next to me with a Kerker 4-1. I could feel it in my chest. I couldn't believe that motorcycle sounded like THAT! :eek: I had never seen a V-max in real life, nor any bike that made me FEEL power. Although my little 350 had a 4-1 and an almost open exhaust... it now seemed silent under the rumbling thunder of the AWE inspiring (I was literally in AWE of) Mighty Max. Riding home afterwards, my bike sounded like a model airplane engine. And every other bike did as well. And most cars too!

Previous to this encounter, I had conversations with Dad (owned a V45 Magna - the V65 was "too much") over the Takin' It To The Nine's story, and absolutely loved the look of that modded Max. The Kerker on the right side only did not detract from the look in the least. In fact, it allowed one to see the custom wheel in detail from the left.

So the only down side for me right now is center stand. I don't have one (due to the Cobras I believe) now, so not a big issue. Probably going to get a bike lift sometime.

Main thing is shine... it seems that where my Max is concerned, Bling's the thing (done tastefully, of course)!

- The Borg

Now THIS is the look I like.
4 into 4 - the way God and/or Nature intended 70's-80's 4-bangers to be.....and shiny new wheels.
If you see this post BORGBIKER, think twice about swapping out those pipes for a 4 into 1!
Cheers!

Thanks Miles! I actually didn't expect to see my bike in someone else's post, my first thought was "Wow, that's a nice bike!" lol!

I understand what you mean, and I am torn. I like the look, but the Cobras don't fit my "less weight/more power" plan. Even though I really like symmetry, the 4-1 is lighter and will give far more than the 10% (or whatever amount) is lost now. And having owned several sportbikes in the past, I can live with a single side exhaust.

- The Borg

I USED to think that I wanted symmetry in my exhaust. I now have a kerker 4-1 with the 2.5 inch competition muffler....absolutely LOVE IT.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

LOL Miles, I will be 61 right quick and this home built high compression 1300 that is balanced, ported and polished with a muscle jet kit.....this old fart goes fast and manages to keep up to a accessional crotch rocket. LOL If I can figure out a way to get more of them faster horses the mod monkey will energize in my garage. And it has a hindle 4-1 and looks good, sounds good !

IMG_0621.jpg

LOL Miles, I will be 61 right quick and this home built high compression 1300 that is balanced, ported and polished with a muscle jet kit.....this old fart goes fast and manages to keep up to a accessional crotch rocket. LOL If I can figure out a way to get more of them faster horses the mod monkey will energize in my garage. And it has a hindle 4-1 and looks good, sounds good !

View attachment 51120

BEAUTIFUL ride, Mr. Bumper! Great choice of colors and accents, and bodywork.
So you are one of the few exceptions to the "Senior biker"rule. You've got your health, reflexes, riding skills, competitiveness (spankin' those youngsters on their rockets) AND an absolutely sick bike! Congratulations!
Me, you ask? Well, I've lost all of the above, if in fact I ever had any.
All I have left are my looks. Which I am grateful for. Still Eye Candy for the ladies.
Cheers, My friend!

Back