4k Test Sound ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auggie_1970

Reaction score
Hey all, thought I'd post this after reading up on the many post on carb tuning here. I bought a 04 about two months ago which needed the carbs cleaned severly so I pulled the carbs and noticed the carbs were jetted. Heres what I'm running right now. Cobra exhaust (slip on's ) appears to be DJ stage 1 with 170 mains. Slides were drilled. I adjusted the float heights per the info on the stickies here.. PAJ's are stock, needle was a DJ needle, and I can't at this time remember what position the clips were on. I sync'd the carbs once everything was back together. Air fuel screws at 2.5 turns out right now.

I know from reading that these cobra pipes suck as far as performance is concerned and from what I read will cause the bike to run rich. This combined with the fact that previous owner jetted the bike with 170 mains must mean this bike is crazy rich, altough when I changed the plugs the electrodes looked ok which surprised me, thought I'd pull the plugs and they would be black.

I figured that I would run the bike for a little bit to get an idea how it ran with this setup before I started tinkering around. Although I like the appearance of the cobra pipes I'm pretty convinced that a nice system like Dale's or Marks is in order. Until that time , I have to workl with what I have.

If I go through all the gears hard, it seems to be ok, pulls pretty good, but I'm new to the Vmax so not entirely sure how hard its supposed to pull when tunned right.

When holding at 4k and hammer the throttle, I sometimes get what I'll refer to as a "bark" or "cough" from the exhuast. From what I read the bike should excel and if not its too rich. I think there a split second hesitation and then it goes , this is a very very fast split second. Is this "barking" a sign of running rich? If so do think a simple needle adjustment would cure this or its this something that I'm going to have to start by droping the mains way down? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I would start right off and drop the main size down to 147.5 mikuni mains (not to be confused with dynojet mains measured differently).

Sean

Thanks Sean, just debating now if I want to fiddle around with gettig this setup running better or wait unitl I get the full exhaust on it.

whats your take on the cobra pipes, I think I read a couple post that indicate that it drops the hp down to something like 90, does that sound about right or is there a chance this pumps out a little or the same Hp as the stock exhaust setup. Thanks

I have seen two Cobra piped bikes dyno'd and both were in the 95bhp area. Mine with my old Dale Walker pipes dyno'd 124 with Seans kit installed.

Not bad for a bike with 3000 miles on it IMO.

Chris

Back