85 Vmax Resurrection project.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZ-85

Reaction score
So, as I stated in my Hi I'm new here post. I guess I should start a thread to document my progress with the Vmax. It is an 85 with about 50,000 on the clock when the engine spun a rod bearing after losing a cap bolt. My friend had this bike since new, and I have always liked the look of it. we were discussing last weekend what he was going to do with it, and he was to the point of loading it up and taking it for scrap metal. I asked him what he wanted for the bike and he told me if I wanted it, I could have it. So yesterday I pulled my trailer to his house and I loaded it up. ordered upper and lower engine case off Ebay last week and got it friday. so now the fun begins.

here is what I have to work with.
WP_20130302_003.jpg

and here is what happened to the engine

IMG_4502.jpg

IMG_4498.jpg

IMG_4495.jpg

IMG_4499.jpg

IMG_4503.jpg

IMG_4505.jpg

kinda rough, I'm going to have to look for a new crankshaft, I need one connecting rod, all new bearings, etc. and since it is already halfway there, I am going to go down to the bare frame repaint, repair and rebuild. When I make progress I will keep the pictures and the updates coming.

You definitely have your work cut out for you, but at that price who could resist! Looking forward to the work in progress photos as the come out. Good luck!

My advice (take it if you wish) is to get another block. That one is junk. I have blocks, good engines, 1300's, and even a crank/rods if you really want to go down the path of trying to fix that one (which won't work).

Sean

I have an 85 , #217 that I'll sell the motor from, bad tranny. Many other 85 parts as well ....... Very cheap!

My advice (take it if you wish) is to get another block. That one is junk. I have blocks, good engines, 1300's, and even a crank/rods if you really want to go down the path of trying to fix that one (which won't work).

Sean

already have another block, out of a 98.

BUT! I very much need a crankshaft and at least one connecting rod. better all 4.

I have an 85 , #217 that I'll sell the motor from, bad tranny. Many other 85 parts as well ....... Very cheap!

How cheap?

I have a complete good motor for sale. http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=27862 I also have a crank & rods but this motor is a way better deal. Good luck with the project.

Thank ya, that is not a bad price on the engine at all. But I want to build my new case. call it silly, demented, or anal, but if I put it together, I have nobody to blame but myself if it goes gunnybag down the road.

Shoot me a price on the crank and rods if you dont mind. :clapping:

Latest posts

Back