A/F Issues

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RagingMain

Reaction score
Ok so I thought my bike was running lean and I have verified it using the A/F meter. My other symptoms where lean popping on decel and running very hot even on cool days.

At partial throttle cruising around town I am seeing 17-17.2 from just off idle to just before V-boost, regardless of gear selected. At idle I have it set at 12-12.2 I know that is rich for idle but I was hoping it would help richen up the pilot and part of the midrange. No such luck.

This is what my train of thought is after reading Mark's post on how the PAJ2s work.

First I am going to drop the size of the PAJ2 one size at a time and recheck for the pilot circuit. I have already increased the size of the slow pilot one size from 37.5 to 40. Dont want to have to pull and split the carbs again.

After I get that to where it needs to be. I will check the midrange and shim needles as necessary.

Reason for doing it this way is driveability. Since I dont run at the track and use my bike for daily commutting I want to make it run smooth and cool.

Please feel free to chime in with any experience or anything else I need to check.

Thanks in advance for all the help.
Cheers:punk:

Fargo, I would come at it from the other way and do that needle test first. Then, see where you are at for idle. BUT, doing it this way and you may be unhappy with top end and WOT.

I agree, only way to stop popping on decel assuming no exhaust leaks, etc. is to lower size of PAJ1, turn out mixture screws or increase PFJ. But, would try messing with the air jet before messing with PFJ's again. Are you using stage 7 needles? I think it'll be easier tuning those than messing with stock needles and shims.

Let us know how it comes out with your testing and a/f readings.

Fargo, I would come at it from the other way and do that needle test first. Then, see where you are at for idle. BUT, doing it this way and you may be unhappy with top end and WOT.

I agree, only way to stop popping on decel assuming no exhaust leaks, etc. is to lower size of PAJ1, turn out mixture screws or increase PFJ. But, would try messing with the air jet before messing with PFJ's again. Are you using stage 7 needles? I think it'll be easier tuning those than messing with stock needles and shims.

Let us know how it comes out with your testing and a/f readings.

Hey Mark thanks.
No exhaust leaks, tight as german virgin, gudentight.
Here are some results from my return ride home.
I decided to leave the choke on about 1/2 for the ride home and the bike ran beautifully.
At idle my A/F was 10.5 and same throttle position the bike was running much better but still lean at 16-16.2. I would like to get this to 15-15.5 when putting around.
After I woke up this afternoon I had an epiphany and thought to my self instead of taking away air flow I could increase my fuel.
Orginally my screws were set at 2.5 and now in order to achieve driveability they are 6, yes 6 turns out. Dont think I like them out that far.
On my way to work it ran much better, no lean popping but still had issues in the midrange.
So I am going to do what Mark suggests and get some stage 7 needles for ease of tuning. Oh and of course since my screws are 6 turns out guess I will have to restrict some air. :damn angry:
Cheers

That tight huh? :0

I wouldn't change a thing until you get those needles. Stg 7 needles are thinner so it does richen your idle slightly. One trick I remember with stage 7 was to put a strip of masking tape once around each air filter. This richened you up for the cooler months. It's easier than buying jets and putting them in.

TO answer you text message, yes. To, richen so decel doesn't pop you can only decrease the #1 PAJ because the #2 is closed off during high vacuum decel's. It wouldn't matter what jet you put in there is wouldn't help that and would only affect your "regular" idle running.

That tight huh? :0

I wouldn't change a thing until you get those needles. Stg 7 needles are thinner so it does richen your idle slightly. One trick I remember with stage 7 was to put a strip of masking tape once around each air filter. This richened you up for the cooler months. It's easier than buying jets and putting them in.

TO answer you text message, yes. To, richen so decel doesn't pop you can only decrease the #1 PAJ because the #2 is closed off during high vacuum decel's. It wouldn't matter what jet you put in there is wouldn't help that and would only affect your "regular" idle running.

I wouldnt be running the full stage seven just the needles.
Also as the bike got hotter 220 up to 230 the bike got leaner.
With the screws at 6 turns out there was no decel popping today.
I wont touch anything until I get the stage 7 needles.
I guess I do have one more question though about the PAJ1 vs PAJ2.
In order to get my screws back in to a respectable place, lets say 4 turns out, which jet would I go smaller on 1 or 2?:confused2:
Thanks again for your help
Cheers

Fargo...may I call you Wayne?

You can still tape up your Morley air box. Just run a strip down the left side and right side and give it a try if you want.

I would put a smaller PAJ2 since you don't have to remove your air box to get to it. Plus, by changing that you don't affect your enrichener circuit. I think I have Mikuni 165's somewhere...maybe even 162.5's. Let me know if interested and I can mail them to you on Mount Shasta. :)

Fargo...may I call you Wayne?

You can still tape up your Morley air box. Just run a strip down the left side and right side and give it a try if you want.

I would put a smaller PAJ2 since you don't have to remove your air box to get to it. Plus, by changing that you don't affect your enrichener circuit. I think I have Mikuni 165's somewhere...maybe even 162.5's. Let me know if interested and I can mail them to you on Mount Shasta. :)

You can call me Payne, as in Pain in the Ass.
Yes please send me the both sizes and I will mail back the ones I dont end up using. Hopefully this will allow me to get the screws back in a few turns.
Cheers

Hey Mark
I have the OEM springs in there but have a set of Seans Shorter Springs, would this help at all by allowing the slides to open up sooner???
I want to make one change at a time to track the progress.

Latest posts

Back