A new leak...how bad can it be?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diablotin

Reaction score
Saw that when I came home.
It's located at the left bottom rear of the engine going to the drive shaft. Not sure how u call that...

I'll clean it and see how much it leaks. Didn't yet where it is coming from.

But I really dont like where it's coming from. Kind of freaking me out...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354469894164.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354469894164.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 117
Could be a few things like middle drive gear cover, bolt copper washer, yoke housing oring and even beteween cases leak. Hard to tell without seeing it clean.

When it happened on my bike it was the stator wire grommet that is under the stator cover. You can see it by removing the final drive cover. Like you said, spay it with brake cleaner and dry the shit out of everything before you start pulling covers off. Go for short rides and check it out every time you stop.

Yep thinking the same. Hoping for a leak on the cover that would be the easy way to fix it. Keep you updated guys...

And also keeps your bike's diaper rash at-bay!:biglaugh:

Seriously though, a good tip. I suggest using a turkey baster to pick-up the powder & then as a method of easy and uniform application. And for perhaps the ease of visualization, an ultra-violet bulb to highlight the powder, plus, for those of us of a certain age, it may trigger 'flashbacks.' And if the black-light doesn't do it, staring at the detail in this, may!

51e13C6eSsL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

I have an original one of these I bought in San Francisco at Bill Graham's outlet store, decades-ago, one of the best investments I ever made. I paid $20 and now it's worth $800+ today. (2nd edition) I have a collection of posters, and I like to see the artwork, I keep them stored to keep the colors from fading. I have often thought of using some of this era's artwork on my faux tank.

This particular poster was first printed in late 1968, and re-printed just before the New Year, as it was a popular design. Remember, these used to be posted on storefronts, telephone poles, and the like, to advertise these artists' live concerts at places like the San Francisco Longshoremen's Hall, the Avalon Ballroom, the Fillmore (which became the Fillmore 'West' when another opened in NYC), and other venues.

For anyone interested in the history of these talented artists:
http://antiquesandthearts.com/2009-03-24__12-11-32.html&page=1

Once cleaned a dusting of talcum will help show exactly when it is leaking.

An even easier way is to buy a can of aerosol foot powder.

Clean thoroughly with a degreaser like purple power, dry, then hose on the foot powder. Run it around a bit and the leak will be very evident.

A bike that leaks only when running (but not when parked) is often the stator grommet, since normally that is well above oil level, but when the engine is running oil is being flung all over the place against it.

There's a tiny copper washer on the bottom center bolt of the middle gear cover, possible that could be leaking. Have you removed either the stator or middle drive covers recently? If so it's possible they got warped on removal.

Nope I didnt remove anything there for quite sometimes. Base on what I saw today it looks like the middle gear cover leaks a little from the gasket. Found some clean oil at 2 different spots around the cover.

That powder trick is a good one. I'll give a shot to the aerosol.
Never I will have thought about that trick :)

My 89 was like that. About drove me nuts figuring out where it was coming from. I used a very thin layer of RTV on both sides of the gaskets of both left covers and on the wires through the stator cover grommet. No more leak for about a year now. I know, Over Kill but it worked. Good Luck.

Another way to do the powder is to mix chalk line dust, blue, with enough denatured alcohol to make a paste and paint it on the CLEANED area with a brush. When the alcohol evaporates it'll leave the hardened chalk that won't blow away. Stays where you put it.
If oil hits it it will turn dark and be very obvious where the leak is.
Never tried this with other powders but probably works the same.

I think I'm gonna have to use this chalk paste stuff to figure some things out. Crazy info on here.

My bike starts to leak from everywhere lol.
I tried the powder thing, and it looks like it's dripping from there and spreading on the oil sump cover.

I found one below near the oil sump cover. Is there an o-ring on the neutral sender unit?
The one near the middle drive cover, I'm still not sure if it's the cover or something else like a leak of the case.

On top of this, the valves cover are leaking on the left side.

Not losing a lot of oil (level still in the half way the window) but now i'm getting some engine noise I never had before.
I guess it's time to stop riding for a while and taking care of that.

Dammit...

I hate to add to your work Michael but if you're replacing one valve cover gasket, you might as well do both cause they're probly the same age....and check the valve lash at the same time as they will be exposed.

Thats on the idea, Danny.
Both are leaking on the same side.
Not planning to be lazy lol

I always used the flour on the fat girls. Never let me down.

Could be a shift shaft seal too. Lots under there that can leak (including the secondary drain plug).

Sean

Back