A very sad day for me and my Max.Help?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Busted U-joint? Busted axle?

Be sure the noise is in the tranny and not at a point just behind it.

Drive shaft is fine, as is the u-joint(outside the motor at least). My thought now is it could be the bevel gear once inside the case? I've ruled out anything external to the motor.
At this point what are my options? Can I pull the rest of the drive shaft out of the motor without pulling the motor out or is this one of those things where the motors ganna end up comin out no matter what it is?

When you took the rear diff out the shaft usually comes out with it. Are you sure you got it stabbed back in correctly? You can pull the swingarm all the way off and access the middle gear (it's not the segment). The gear has three bolts holding the pinion adapter into the case. Give that a tug and it will come out and let you check the gears (which could be bad but not sure that is your problem at the moment).

Sean

Well the noise was my original concern but i figured/hoped when i noticed the broken spindle in the diff it would be the problem rather than the middle gear/trans. The drive shaft is all the way back in, because this is exactly how it sounded BEFORE i removed the shaft for inspection... looks like Im dropping a swing arm then so i can get to that midgear!

Obviously its a shot in the dark without actually pulling it open and seeing first hand whats bad but from your experience, what are my chances the midgear is shot as opposed to the actual internal gearing? Is it at all common for one to go out rather than both?

Thank you for your fast replies by the way gents

It could be stripped out in the splines at the front of the driveshaft (in the u-joint coupler) or the shaft itself. I've seen them broken all over the place but rarely the ujoint assembly but it does happen.

Check the block around that area for cracks too. Look in the area of the vin stamping pad.

Sean

Thank you Sean. I'll rip into it today and see what's ugly. I've got that final drive for ya whenever You're ready too. Just pm me a address and it's yours.

Back