All Factory upgades since 1985

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbaisdad

Reaction score
I keep hearing about a big change they did on the vmax in 99.Can someone bring me up to speed on all the factory upgrades they have done over the years since the vmax came out in 1985 and in the year they did them.I'm looking at a 98 right now with 9000 miles on it but want to make sure I don't have to dump upgrage money into it. THANKS!!
:ummm:

Only change they did in '99 besides color is they start using a better shift segment. This is the star-shaped piece that fits at the end of the shift drum.

Model History Main changes
from 1985 to 2001
1985:
v-85.jpg

• First V-Max appears on American market with 145 HP announced and 400 m covered in 11 seconds. V-boost equipped.
V-86.jpg
Introduction for Europe in France:
  • 104 HP at 7 500 rpm and a torque of 11,48 mkg at 6 000 rpm
  • No V-Boost for Europe
  • Rear aliminium dished wheel
  • 2 front ventilated discs ? 282 mm with opposed pistons.
  • 3D V-max emblem
V-88.jpg

• Front aluminium dished wheel
  • Black air scoops, side covers and tail lamp mount
V-90.jpg

• Digital electronic ignition.
  • Back to aluminium colour for air scoops
  • Introduction for Japanese domestic market
V-90.jpg
For Europe:
  • Modifications to suit noise regulation from 83 to 81 dB. Exhaust system changed and max. power decreases from 100,2 HP/ 7500 rpm to 95,2 HP/ 8000 rpm.
  • New camshafts with lengthen valve opening to improve character: Max torque of 10,3 mkg is at 3000 rpm only ( formerly 10,9 mkg / 6000 rpm). To keep superb acceleration rear transmission, ration is changed from 33/9 to 33/10.
V-93.jpg
Fundamental chassis changes:
  • Fork tubes ? increase from 40 to 43 mm. Ventilated- drilled discs of 298 mm with 4pot callipers.
  • Metzeler tyres instead of Dunlop.
  • More powerful generator.
V-96.jpg

• Black wheels ,air scoops, exhaust system and fork outer tubes.
  • Cartridge type oil filter element
V-98.jpg

• Back to chrome exhaust system
V-99.jpg

• Back to polished wheels and fork outer tubes
  • Carbon look for fenders
V-01.jpg

• Front fork seal guards
  • Carbon looks for tank cover

So there IS a rear gear out there that is even lower than ours??????

I know Kloker has been talking about wanting something even lower than the one we have.....I think he said something about entering the Tractor Pulls at the next redneck rodeo or something......

It shows a different one in the lower HP vmax in the European market starting in 99?????

or am I reading that wrong????

PCW claims the engine cases got thicker/stronger somewhere along the way......i'm thinking maybe the same time we got a real oil filter....

They don't like doing cores on the early cases it says somewhere on thier website....

theres a salesman at the dealer that tells me they changed the rake kicked out the neck ?....im thinking its not true where i dont see it in the upgrades

96 on the stonger engine cases. I have not heard of the rear gear change for them over there until I saw this post.

Sean

To my knowledge, they skipped the 1987 model year and then came back with the 1988.

Am I incorrect?

:ummm:

'87 came out but only in Canada. It was the same color scheme as the '88 - '89' models.

Latest posts

Back