America's got talent

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I say we get a VMax band put together.... I've got a few guitars myself, but the cowbell is what I am the best at.... the triangle is a close second. Again Paul, thanks for letting us know and kick some ass out there!
Jeff

cmon jeff

i need more cowbell!!

dont fear the reaper

cmon jeff

i need more cowbell!!

dont fear the reaper

LOL.. more cowbell!

180pxcowbell21iy.gif

The short version is ..... The audition went great and I feel very confident I will advance to the next round. NOw for those interested.......

The America's got Talent audition.
The long version.

I left Roanoke at about 11. I stopped to visit friends in Raleigh NC at Gumby's pizza. I stayed for 2 hours there and at another friends in Dhalonaga GA. It was great visiting my buds but it cost me almost all of my sleep. I GOT 2 HOURS, UGH!

So I got to the auditions at America's mart in Atlanta at 7:45. The line was 2 blocks long then. Right after that it was 4 blocks long. It was freezing cold for sure. I got in, was frisked a bit, signed in, got a number, and went to the 4th floor in a large open room to wait with a bunch of other hopefuls. It was exciting ..... at first. It dragged on for an hour or so. Then they announced we all needed to go downstairs for some video taping. We were in a huge room and there were a bunch of cameras on booms. I estimate 2500 people were in that room. It was intense! I also guess that about 5000 people showed up for the Saturday auditions alone. A British lady with a megaphone was directing us. We were told to yell "America's Got Talent!" and then cheer. That went on for way too long. I ended up sitting down at a table but not before I held up my lime green acoustic guitar for the cameras! lol! Several people commented on and complimented the little green guitar.

After about an hour of that they let us go back to the fourth floor for more painful waiting. I would pace, practice quietly to myself, sit, rinse, repeat. Every 45 minutes or so they would call a list of about 15 numbers. It was never mine. ARG! I visited with a nice guy named Tony. He was playing some Robert Johnson. He was there by himself like me so we kind of stuck together for the day. Several people were practicing loudly and or entertaining the other applicants. Some were great, some, were just wasting our time. One lady was a phenomenon to me. She was in a corner singing opera. The power seemed superhuman to me. I was awed. Her name was Audrey. This is nothing compared to hearing (feeling) her in person but you can find her here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faBbTEm4p6I&feature=channel_page

I talked to her after we had both auditioned and she was humble and cool!

So more waiting, and more ......and more. Finally at about 2 pm, about 6 hours after I got there we were moved to another room. I sat in a chair for a moment and started to lose it. I was ready to sleep! I sat on the floor against the wall propped up my head in my hand and was out instantly. Tony listened out for my number to be called. Soon enough they called it. They asked us to form a line in the large hall. 10 minutes of that passed then we walked down the hall for more waiting outside the final room - the audition room. More practicing quietly and then I lost my number!! For just a moment anyway. Someone pointed out that it had transferred itself from my overalls to the back of my guitar!! I was sweating it for a a minute or 2!! 20 minutes or so later Tony went in to audition. When he came out he said that they had told him he had a unique sound and sent him on his way. We shook hands and wished each other luck. About 10 more minutes passed and it was FINALLY my turn.

I walked in and stood on a wooden tiled square about 12' x 12' . The scout asked what I would like to do. I told him that time wouldn't allow me to do what I really wanted to do which was live looping ....... like this.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H80n2kv_K3E&feature=channel_page

I quickly explained what looping was and how I do it. I spoke fast both because of my nerves and because I knew my time was short. I wanted to respect their time as well. I told him I would like to show him the DVD that I had brought with videos of that performance, but that I'd also like to play and sing live to show my voice in person. Even though I had received an email form AGT stating that we only had 1.5 minutes he said I could do both! SWEET! I belted out the first verse and chorus of The Commodores "Easy". I was really happy with and proud of the performance. It showed my dynamics range and tone. So far so good! Then I walked over with the dvd. He popped it in. He played the 1.5 minute edited down version of "Wicked game" Then he asked for the longer version!! He was able to see what it is exactly that I do. I was asked what made me different. I was bold without sounding cocky and told them that there a few big league looping artists. But that I had something on all of them. I referenced KT Tunstal who sings "black horse and a cherry tree" I said she has a lead singer voice and loops acoustic guitar, but that I play bass, drums, electric and play leads. Then I brought up The White Stripes I said he was hip and edgy but that he has a drummer to play drums for him. Then I brought up Keller Williams. Keller is a crazy great guitarist, but he doesn't have a front man voice. I basically told them of my strengths and they seemed to be on board. They then said they needed to get a photo. I thanked them and said they must be numb by now. He said it was going well and thanked me. So at 3:30 I got out almost 8 hours after I went in.

I only saw one other person get their picture taken from my small group. I feel very optimistic that I showed them something that no one else had done before in the auditions. I also saw not a single person wearing overalls (the neanderpaul uniform!) LOL! So that was a triple threat of uniqueness. Live looping - one man full band style, a lime green guitar - and a unique overalls look.
I feel great about the audition and confident that I will move to the next level of auditions! Keep me in your thoughts!!!

thanks!
Paul
carbonvmax
neanderpaul!!

Congrats and keep us in the loop with what you hear. Sounds like a great experience!

Latest posts

Back