Another Final Drive question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannymax

Reaction score
I don't want to hi-jack Rempage's thread anymore than I already did....but I will steal his diagram....:biglaugh: I had a leak a few hundred miles ago and replaced oil seal #25....the leak stopped for a little while but returned a few days ago so I pulled it apart again and replaced oil seal #33 and o-ring #21, buttoned it back up and ran it in gear (with the wheel off) to see if there were any immediate leaks. It all looked good but when I checked it a couple hours later there was a small amount of gear oil in the bottom of the spline that appears to be weeping out between collar #5 and where it rides in the ring gear.
I've studied this and, for the life of me, can NOT see what would prevent oil from leaking out from that point. There's no seal, it's only a slip fit....seems natural that hot oil would leak out there, then out onto the wheel and down on the tire.....which is just what it appears to be doing. What am I missing? :ummm:
1.gif

May have figured this out, it looks like seals #33 & #25 restrict the gear oil to the ring & pinion (where it's needed) and oil never really gets to the collar at all....therefore it can't leak into the spline.

Yes, No....anyone give a shit? :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

I believe that is correct. The only splines that are lubricated by the gear oil are the driveshaft splines and the seal on the shaft keeps it from running down the inside of the swingarm.

May have figured this out, it looks like seals #33 & #25 restrict the gear oil to the ring & pinion (where it's needed) and oil never really gets to the collar at all....therefore it can't leak into the spline.

Yes, No....anyone give a shit? :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

I've only been in the differential once and it was over a year ago so, bear with me.

The collars passes straight thru the diff and is exposed on both sides. The only place where it is possible for oil pass onto the collar is at seal #33.

If #25 were bad oil would just leak from the outboard side of the splines that engage the rear wheel.

At least, that is what I recall from when I tore mine down.

I believe that is correct. The only splines that are lubricated by the gear oil are the driveshaft splines and the seal on the shaft keeps it from running down the inside of the swingarm.

Thanks Sean, that's what I was thinking but I was lubing my wheel spline also with nothing to keep the oil in and it was flying all over the ass end! Looked a lot like an old Harley! :rofl_200:

I've only been in the differential once and it was over a year ago so, bear with me.

The collars passes straight thru the diff and is exposed on both sides. The only place where it is possible for oil pass onto the collar is at seal #33.

If #25 were bad oil would just leak from the outboard side of the splines that engage the rear wheel.

At least, that is what I recall from when I tore mine down.

And that's exactly what was happening Mike, #33 was bad, oil leaked out and onto the collar, working it's way right and out between the collar and the hole in the spline.

I just got back from a 75 mile ride and other than a few dusty oil spots (which I believe was residual oil hanging around the cush drive that I couldn't clean up, or possibly a little excessive lithium grease that I liberally applied to the spline halves) it was dry.

Think I got it. :clapping:

i I'M GOING TO SEND MY WHOLE BIKE UP TO YOU TO GO OVER DANNY ! :punk:

Last edited:
Glad you got it,Im good with cars but not all that with the bike usally muddle through.Now that you got it go for a lil cruze.You know the guy's on here will rescue you,They have me.Just wish you the best.terry.

Glad you got it,Im good with cars but not all that with the bike usally muddle through.Now that you got it go for a lil cruze.You know the guy's on here will rescue you,They have me.Just wish you the best.terry.

I did Terry, 75 miles worth with 3 or 4 stops to feel the final drive for excessive heat, which I didn't feel....so I'm going with it! :punk: You're right too, these guys are the best, but with me not owning a cell phone, I'd be kinda screwed till one of 'em just happened to drive by! :rofl_200:

I did Terry, 75 miles worth with 3 or 4 stops to feel the final drive for excessive heat, which I didn't feel....so I'm going with it! :punk: You're right too, these guys are the best, but with me not owning a cell phone, I'd be kinda screwed till one of 'em just happened to drive by! :rofl_200:
Lord danny,Why don't you carry a phone?Not a lot of v max guys in my neck of the woods,But if bad goes to worse.And no one else is around ill call a wrecker,Been lucky so far.But just in case I carry it.

Lord danny,Why don't you carry a phone?Not a lot of v max guys in my neck of the woods,But if bad goes to worse.And no one else is around ill call a wrecker,Been lucky so far.But just in case I carry it.

Oh I dunno Terry, I sold my business about 5 years ago, threw my wristwatch out the truck window, cell phones in the garbage and things have been pretty smooth ever since! Kinda hate to introduce anything that might intrude into my peaceful little life....ya know?

Like an NSA tracking device....:rofl_200:

Oh I dunno Terry, I sold my business about 5 years ago, threw my wristwatch out the truck window, cell phones in the garbage and things have been pretty smooth ever since! Kinda hate to introduce anything that might intrude into my peaceful little life....ya know?

Like an NSA tracking device....:rofl_200:
Yea danny I know exactly how you feel.I couldn't sell mine,I built it right beside my house.NO PEACE!! phone never stopped,And neither did i.Home became a bunisness.Car's everywhere.Wreckers droping them off,While I was out doing road call's!Did this for over 10 years,About went nucking futz.Then we were flodded in 2004 or 05 don't remember,5000 dollar scanner destroyed and a couple of cars,Water came to fast,I got a bunch of picts,4 feet in the garage.I never recovered and never wanted too.Rebuilt most everything myself.Took 6 months.And a tree fell on the house and took the end off.Anyway went out of business.Was the flood a blessing or a curse,I think both.Anyway after that I slowed my ass to a crawl Got the max and a cell phone.And only a select few got the number.Hell of a way to go about going out of buniess.

Yea danny I know exactly how you feel.I couldn't sell mine,I built it right beside my house.NO PEACE!! phone never stopped,And neither did i.Home became a bunisness.Car's everywhere.Wreckers droping them off,While I was out doing road call's!Did this for over 10 years,About went nucking futz.Then we were flodded in 2004 or 05 don't remember,5000 dollar scanner destroyed and a couple of cars,Water came to fast,I got a bunch of picts,4 feet in the garage.I never recovered and never wanted too.Rebuilt most everything myself.Took 6 months.And a tree fell on the house and took the end off.Anyway went out of business.Was the flood a blessing or a curse,I think both.Anyway after that I slowed my ass to a crawl Got the max and a cell phone.And only a select few got the number.Hell of a way to go about going out of buniess.

Jeez, that sux! At least I got to think my decision over for awhile first....floods make such a friggin' mess!!

Jeez, that sux! At least I got to think my decision over for awhile first....floods make such a friggin' mess!!
Long time ago now.Just tickled you got your bike fixed.Was gonna post some picts batterys dead in both if you want too see it I post some over the weekend Got the grandkids tomorrow.When I go all to hell over something I try to stop and think.(What was I worried about this time last year.)Usally can't remember.Life goes on my friend.It's way to short to waste.God bless you guyz.Terry.

Back