Any Tips For Trailering My Vmax Home??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3BadBirds

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 92 Vmax. I still have to get her home and rather than dealing with the weather (we are in the middle of an ice storm right now) during a two hour trip on a new bike, I decided to rent / use an enclosed trailer. I have a truck and there is a rental place close by loaded with 5' x 8' units available for around $30. The guy at this U-Haul said lots of folks use them for hauling their bikes. He also mentioned that these trailers had four anchor spots for tie-downs.

Are there any specific things I should keep in mind while strapping her down to keep her from tipping? I was going to use the side stand and figured I just leave it in gear and make sure I get a secure spot on the frame. I already have lots of tie-downs.

Sounds simple :hmmm:?

Thx

You have never trailered a bike before?Make sure you get the forks sucked down half way or so.I always strap the back too.Usually through the grab rail. Always pull over and see how the bike is riding after a few miles.Tighten everything again.

I trailerd one in a rental trailer once with the sidestand down.

The sidestand dug a hole thru the plywood floor and the bike went loose and fell over.

I'm not sure if I would use the side stand either. It puts a fair amount of force on it especially when it gets bouncing around and those little trailers will do that!
It would be nice if you can keep your front wheel from sliding left or right (wheel chock) and then take 4 ratcheting straps to secure it. I always start with the front and as mentioned earlier, have someone push on the handlebars while the other person tightens the straps, try to keep both sides pretty even. Once you have the font secure, go to the back and strap it down. Drive for a few miles and get it settled and then check your straps.
Good Luck!

Ha Ha , I Just Want To Explain To Him How To Tie The Bottoms Of The Tires So They Can't Slide Left Or Right USING THE SAME TIE DOWN HOOKS !!!so He's Not Using The Kickstand !!! I've Trailered & Flatbedded Hundreds Of Bikes ! If You Stap The Bike Straight Down & The Tires At The Bottoms So They Can't Slide Left Or Right , You Could Flip The Trailer Over & The Bike Would Be As Good As new !!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I recently purchased a 92 Vmax. I still have to get her home and rather than dealing with the weather (we are in the middle of an ice storm right now) during a two hour trip on a new bike, I decided to rent / use an enclosed trailer. I have a truck and there is a rental place close by loaded with 5' x 8' units available for around $30. The guy at this U-Haul said lots of folks use them for hauling their bikes. He also mentioned that these trailers had four anchor spots for tie-downs.

Are there any specific things I should keep in mind while strapping her down to keep her from tipping? I was going to use the side stand and figured I just leave it in gear and make sure I get a secure spot on the frame. I already have lots of tie-downs.

Sounds simple :hmmm:?

Thx

Its very simple. DONT use cheap ratchet straps. Dont use Cheap Tie Straps from Walmart.
I have trailered a dragbike in a 6X14 enclosed Haulmark trailer for over 6 years and some where guessing 100K+ miles. I have never had the bike tip over.
I used a pingel wheel chock, 4 good qaulity tie straps not ratchet straps and nylon straps to go around the hand grips.
I strap the front down with the nylon straps around the grips. Strap each side of the swing arm and zip tie the front hand brake in. Not to hard but enough to hold the bike.
Good luck and get her home safely, almost like driving home from the hospital with a new born.

I have always trailered my VMAx on an open car trailer. And despite a slight fiasco while Unloading it once. I have never had it come loose or fall while traveling.
Just be sure the front wheel is against a stop, ie: front of trailer, bike wheel chock or the likes. Then strap down the front via the handle bars where the straps won't slip back and forth.
Use a good quality strap that is rated for more weight than the bike.
Pull the front down enough to compress the front forks at least half way. Then strap the back down via the hand grab.
I've never needed cross ties or wheel straps, and I've been down some damn bumpy ass and winding roads with it. And not once has it ever come loose.

I have always loaded my bikes into the bed of my truck to save fuel. I am looking at a small trailer to pull behind my soon to be new car later this year. This way I can get better mileage and the car has A LOT more power...:thumbs up:

I'm thinking about buying a roll on chock that locks the front wheel in. Their pricey as all get out but damn nice too.

Ha Ha , I Just Want To Explain To Him How To Tie The Bottoms Of The Tires So They Can't Slide Left Or Right USING THE SAME TIE DOWN HOOKS !!!so He's Not Using The Kickstand !!! I've Trailered & Flatbedded Hundreds Of Bikes ! If You Stap The Bike Straight Down & The Tires At The Bottoms So They Can't Slide Left Or Right , You Could Flip The Trailer Over & The Bike Would Be As Good As new !!!!!!!!

thats good info...better to share :clapping:

I remember the day I brought mine home on the back of my truck for a 5 hour trip. Kinda nerve racking to say the least. Just follow what the guys have said and relax.....take your time. Just keep checking it at every gas stop just to make sure.
Congrats bud.

I took Tim's advice and went to my local bike shop to get some "special" straps to tie down my Max. They showed me something relatively new on the market that's specially made to secure larger street bikes on trailers. It's kind of hard to explain, but its a single wrap that attaches to either handgrip and secures snuggly. It's then just a matter of hooking up your tie downs to it. It's a little expensive at $30 but seems to be just what the doctor ordered. This guy said everyone that has bough one said they worked great. I'll also make sure I connect the rear via the grips and the rear tire.

If the weather holds up I'll report back this weekend after my trip.

Thanks again for all the help!

Hey 3badbirds, I Should Of Just Loaned You All Of My Tie Down's, I'm Sure From You I Would Get Them Back,!!! Like I Said On The Phone, I Never Get Them Back Because I Loan Them To People That I Know !!!! Ha,ha, ,

Latest posts

Back