Anyone been skydiving?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaWarrior

Reaction score
Just wondering because I'm probably going to get dragged into doing it this summer. One of my neighbors who I'm pretty good friends with is definitely into the extreme-outdoorsy lifestyle and usually all but insists that I go with her on crazy adventures. She went with her daughter a couple years ago, and now her son is old enough to go she's going again and has already brought it up that she wants me to go.

Part of me says there's no reason to jump out of that airplane unless it's about to explode, but it also seems like one of those things that everyone should do at least once.

So is this gonna make me piss my pants or what? Any experiences to share?

Just wondering because I'm probably going to get dragged into doing it this summer. One of my neighbors who I'm pretty good friends with is definitely into the extreme-outdoorsy lifestyle and usually all but insists that I go with her on crazy adventures. She went with her daughter a couple years ago, and now her son is old enough to go she's going again and has already brought it up that she wants me to go.

Part of me says there's no reason to jump out of that airplane unless it's about to explode, but it also seems like one of those things that everyone should do at least once.

So is this gonna make me piss my pants or what? Any experiences to share?

I haven't gone yet as I'm a bit overweight and I don't think 290lbs dangling from a piece of cloth is a good idea. But it sure does look/sound fun! I'm planning on getting my fat @$$ back into shape this summer and hopefully sky diving in the fall! My vote = do it! You only live once man! :punk:
-JB

Haven't jumped yet but I used to fly a twin engine turbo prop plane as co-pilot taking sky divers up to about 10,500 feet, I did it just to build up time in twin engine turbo prop planes. The divers had a blast jumping out and looked like fun to me but never did it. You will have to do a few tandem jumps with an instructor to get validated/licensed to jump by yourself. Join a sky diving club, that way you get a discount for the ride up in the plane. Its a pretty costly expense, so bring a pocketfull of money. I saw two skydivers have to use their reseve shoot because their main shoot got twisted and tangled. They just cut loose from the main shoot and pulled their reserve shoot, everything worked out fine for them. Try it, you might just have found you a new hobby.............

"Just wondering because I'm probably going to get dragged into doing it this summer. One of my neighbors who I'm pretty good friends with is definitely into the extreme-outdoorsy lifestyle and usually all but insists that I go with her on crazy adventures. She went with her daughter a couple years ago, and now her son is old enough to go she's going again and has already brought it up that she wants me to go.

So is this gonna make me piss my pants or what? Any experiences to share?"

I've done four Static-line solo jumps with local clubs, and one tandem free-fall with a club in Florida. All the solos were done when I was in my early twenties, when I was full of piss and vinegar, but with little money.
I eventually had to decide between skydiving and scuba, scuba won out.
You will NEVER regret jumping! Even if you only do it once, it's an experience you'll never forget, something to "tell your grandchildren about"
I'd suggest that you do your first jump as a tandem freefall - you will exit at over 10,000 feet, and have about 40 seconds of the freefall sensation.
Most instructors do a complete somersault when they exit the plane. And by all means - pay the few bucks extra to have your jump recorded! I have videos of my wife's first static line jump, as well as her tandem. Her "Most fun with my clothes on" experiences.
If you go solo with static line,- these jumps done from about 3000 ft.- the hardest part will be getting out on the wing in preparation (if you jump from a small plane). This is when some people change their minds, and question their own sanity. The ground looks awfully close, and you are hanging off the wing strut, one foot on the locked wheel. It's a relief when the instructor finally tells you to let go. Once floating under your chute, all your regrets evaporate. You have several minutes to soak the scenery up before landing. You will probably be equipped with a two-way radio, and will be guided down by an instructor at the landing zone. If you time it just right, by "stalling" your chute at the correct time, you will remain upright, and walk away from the landing. But even if you miss it, the impact is no greater than jumping off the roof of a car.
GO FOR IT! and remember...... get it recorded!
Blue skys, Miles

yea, i did it one time with a static line ! that was all for me, granted i was also in my early 20's also and ALOT lighter, would not do it again ! was kinda cool at the time, the weird thing is how quiet it was up their !

i did it 8 eight times. 3 tandems and 5 solos.

the first time was effin amazin! jumped from 16,800 feet. here's a pic of the pic of my maiden jump .
View attachment 21180

i don't know which part i enjoyed most, the rush of falling, or the tranquility under the canopy.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
awesom10.jpg

i signed up for the course and ended up doing my first solo a few weeks later from a bi-plane, in which it "walked" onto the wing, let go, counted to 5 and immediately pulled the canopy. being a college student when i tried out the hobby, i really couldn't afford it, so i stopped.

did i say how awesome it was?

Last edited:
DO IT!!!
I did a couple from a stactic line as well... 3500' is all, but it was a blast! Plus with all that excitement, ya never know what your lady friend will want to do afterwards :punk:

I made 40 jumps back in the 80s before the tandem stuff started. My first twenty jumps were under the old oval-shaped "paracommander" canopy. The chutes today are more of a cloth wing than a parachute. They handle and land like a sports car compared to the Mack trucks I flew! All my jumps were solo the highest being 12,500 feet. It's damn cold up there! Anyway, everything from the training to the landing will go by so fast that you will not have time to be scared. You will not get that weird feeling in your stomach like a roller coaster either. Do it while you can. It will give you memories for a lifetime.

It's no worse than your first ride on a VMax on Boost in First gear... With the new equipment it would be great. All you have to do is get over the fear of going for it...

Good Luck,
Dave

do you remember when you first took your max above a hundred? kinda get tunnel vision? all of life just a blur off on your peripheral. wind and g's pulling on your face? the adrenaline overdose? well freefallin' is kinda like that but 100x more exhilarating. i think because you have the impression of no control. the guy strapped on your back is shoving you to the door and once out, you can't stop. from the time your heart drops into the pit off in your stomach when inching to the door, to when it is shoved it into your throat during freefall, to the time you feel every thump of it against your ribcage under the canopy, you will have the time of your life.

dish out the extra dough for someone to video your entire experience from suiting up to jumping to landing. i did and have no regrets that i did. it really is something that everyone should do at least once.

i remember watching the experienced divers taking running starts and doing flips on the way out the door. talk about eye-opening! my fingers have the adrenaline shakes right now just reliving the experience on the keyboard.

did i say how awesome it was?

JUST DO IT.

and remember it's the second bounce that kills you, so grab the grass if you have no chute when you land.

awesome tips for the guy here I also say do it. I myself have been looking into doing it I can't wait what a rush!

Haven't jumped yet but I used to fly a twin engine turbo prop plane as co-pilot taking sky divers up to about 10,500 feet, I did it just to build up time in twin engine turbo prop planes. The divers had a blast jumping out and looked like fun to me but never did it. You will have to do a few tandem jumps with an instructor to get validated/licensed to jump by yourself. Join a sky diving club, that way you get a discount for the ride up in the plane. Its a pretty costly expense, so bring a pocketfull of money. I saw two skydivers have to use their reseve shoot because their main shoot got twisted and tangled. They just cut loose from the main shoot and pulled their reserve shoot, everything worked out fine for them. Try it, you might just have found you a new hobby.............

what kind of plane was it you flew?

i burn around in a shorts skyvan, and its used lots around the world for sky diving. set lots of world record jumps these planes as they can group jump together our of the back of the plane rather then one at a time and find each other in the air.

One tandom jump for me. Real scary till your heel leaves the plane, then it's party time!
+1 on the vid and pics.
Go in spring or fall in the midwest, air gets thin when it warms up.

I haven't gone yet as I'm a bit overweight and I don't think 290lbs dangling from a piece of cloth is a good idea. But it sure does look/sound fun! I'm planning on getting my fat @$$ back into shape this summer and hopefully sky diving in the fall! My vote = do it! You only live once man! :punk:
-JB

spacex-dragon-droptest.jpg

Dont worry, I think we could figure something out.

I can't remeber at the moment but the door was on the side and held 16 jumpers. It had a static line installed also if someone wanted to use it. I had to give up my flying due to medical conditions, and miss it bad. I have been flying since I was 21 and owned 3 different planes, Tripacer Pa22 160 hp, Eurcoupe and my last plane was a cessna 172 which I sold last year when I found out there was no way to get a Medical certificate in with my health condition. As soon as I get thru this health condition issue, I am looking into buying an ultralite helocopter (Mosquito XEL2) which does not require registration or Med. certificate.

what kind of plane was it you flew?

i burn around in a shorts skyvan, and its used lots around the world for sky diving. set lots of world record jumps these planes as they can group jump together our of the back of the plane rather then one at a time and find each other in the air.

I can't remeber at the moment but the door was on the side and held 16 jumpers. It had a static line installed also if someone wanted to use it. I had to give up my flying due to medical conditions, and miss it bad. I have been flying since I was 21 and owned 3 different planes, Tripacer Pa22 160 hp, Eurcoupe and my last plane was a cessna 172 which I sold last year when I found out there was no way to get a Medical certificate in with my health condition. As soon as I get thru this health condition issue, I am looking into buying an ultralite helocopter (Mosquito XEL2) which does not require registration or Med. certificate.

sounds like it might have been a twin otter or something.

well hope you get well soon to get back in the saddle, but ya getting a ultra light will atleast ease the beast in ya a bit eh.

did you fly the chopper also or just own it?

Yep , it was an Otter, Thanks for clearing that up for me as I still have brain fog from the Chemo treatment yesterday, and thanks to my last wife she took my aircraft log book and won't give it, claims she lost it in the moveing out of the house (bummer, she knew that was important to me and did it on purpose)..................Joe

Last edited:
that really sucks she did that, wtf. well man if you ever end up on this side of the world can take you for a plane ride for sure. think you'd dig the skyvan, cool plane. think i can fit about 9 or more vmaxes in it hahahaha

Back