Arai helmet owners

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
....one other thing.

When buying an expensive helmet like the Arai, I find it best to buy one with graphics on it. Not because graphics are any great shakes but because they are decals, over which another layer of clear coat is applied.

The extra layer of lacquer is a little more defense against random stones and chips and keeps your lid looking sharp longer.

For the shop helmets (and my own) I have been using HJC Sy-Max helmets. One button flip up and works very well. Nice to be able to just flip the front up and talk without taking the whole thing off or yelling through the chin bar. I noticed they now have Sy-max II versions which I am sure are very nice too. I think the CL-Max is the cheaper version and is also a good helmet.

Sean

I have an HJC Sy-Max also. Use it for my summer helmet as it is noisier than a normal full face. The newer version has an internal flip down sun shield which I would love to have. The Cy-Max is less expensive but has not as nice an interior and it may not be completely removable for washing as the Sy-Max. All in all a great flip-up helmet. My favorite high dollar helmet is the Shoei. Had about 5 or 6 of those. Only had one Arai and did not like it as much. Currently have 8 helmets from 5 different manufacturers.

I had a super cool Arai 20 years ago and it was a great helmet. Most of the time helmets are very subjective. Motorcycle Consumer News does tests pretty regularly on a variety of helmets.

Sean

I love my modular helmet. Its not a Arai, but a KBC, its a bit on the loud side but, like Sean mentioned it soo much nicer to just hit a button and flip the whole front end or just the visor.

Modulars are the best of both worlds, but they really don't offer the greatest of chin protection, but it's better than nothing on your jaw.

Attachments

• KBC.jpg
    KBC.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 9
Well I went for the Arai, found a good deal on a new one on ebay. Fits perfect and super comfortable, cant wait to get it out and try it. Looks good too which doesnt hurt.

Attachments

• helmet.jpg
    helmet.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 17
I found the HJC to fit like my Arai. No doubt that the more venting you have the louder it will be. I wear ear plugs anyway...

I am going to look into an HJC this year.

Chris

I tried on multiple Arai helmets and decided that they weren't for me. I ended up going with the Joe Rocket RKT 101 Carbon Fiber. Light as a feather, fits like a glove, and had good ventilation.

Attachments

• a6e9_1_sbol.JPG
    a6e9_1_sbol.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 9
  • joe-rocket-helmets-rkt101-carbon-helmet_1.jpg
    joe-rocket-helmets-rkt101-carbon-helmet_1.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 9
Yup, funny how some of them just seem to "fit". I tried the Shoei's and they didnt fit well at all, but this Arai is great (so far). For me the main thing is safety, and from what I have read Arai, Shoei, HJC etc make very good helmets.

I think Arai makes three different shell shapes. One of their models should fit everyone. Hopefully the one you like, looks and features-wise, has the shell that fits you....

I'm trying a new brand of helmets for me, Vemar, I picked up a VTXE 3xl for my big brain. I picked it up for a $200/ free shipping from Motorcycle Superstore, $150 off list price during their helmet sale. The helmet fits well once I have it on but the opening is a little small for a 3xl IMO, really have to pull the padding back to slip on. It has been reviewed as being very quiet and I can understand why now. The padding, along with the chin curtain that helps to seal around the bottom should really shut off the wind noise. I'll still wear earplugs but maybe just for longer trips now. It also is supposed to flow air well too, we shall see once hotter weather hits. It has a 5 year warranty, a innovative face shield retention system, quick release chin strap and a very nice finish on it. Here is a Webbikeworld review.

Just a quick update incase anyone is looking at buying an Arai. I really like this Profile so far, seems to be a great lid. I have about 500km on it now, and it feels awesome. Light, lots of venting, fairly quiet and comfortable. No complaints as of yet (probably not until I have to cough up for a new visor)

Cheers,

Jason

Latest posts

Back